Just The Beginning

Sunshine

I sat at my desk, in my room, with the bright lamplight illuminating the papers that had my attention. I squinted my eyes and ruffled my hair, frustrated at the chemistry paper before me. Of all things, it had to be chemistry. Hey, at least I'm passing math.

"Hey baby, are you coming to bed?"

Four feet away, stood my tall, dragon of a boyfriend. His voice was a low, deep timbre and his Asian slur was there. I exhaled loudly, and turned around to look at him. He stood there leaning against the doorframe with basketball shorts and his common oversized sweater that I love on him. It made it hard to believe that he was actually part of the mafia.

"Um," I paused to rub my forehead, "I don't think so tonight hun, you can go first."

He frowned, pouted, and just stared at me quietly, eyes turning a deep purple. I didn't know how to respond. The paper wasn't due, but he didn't know that. I just needed something to distract me, for I didn't want to go to bed yet. As for the reason for not wanting to go to bed, I didn't really know how to break it to him. It was as though I gave up on trying...I wasn't sure if there was any spark in our relationship anymore. Apparently, he was still oblivious to the way I was acting. That was the problem.

I turned back to my paper and tried to concentrate but I couldn't because I could tell that he was still staring at me, drilling holes into the side of my head. It was then that I decided I couldn't take this anymore. I loudly packed up my studies, trying to be subtle about my frustration but still portraying that it's there. When I finished I stood up, turned off the lamp, and walked towards our bedroom. He quietly followed me. I sunk into the wonderful heaven known as my bed, pulled my wonderful comforter over my head, and slowly drifted off towards a nice slumber. I felt arms enveloped me from behind, trapping me in.

The next morning I woke up early and saw the face of my beloved. His hair was tousled into a fluffy mess and his mouth was half-open, emitting soft snores. I must have turned while I was sleeping; I could've sworn I had slept with my back to him. After a few minutes of struggle, I managed to escape from his arms and went to the bathroom. Then I made my way back to the office with breakfast, and began to work on my paper while eating, trying to finish it before my boy woke up.

Moments later, I heard a door slam and heavy footsteps make their way down the stairs and around the house. The footsteps quickened and I heard him calling for me. The whole house was filled with shouts of "Amy!" but

I didn't dare –or rather chose– not to respond, waiting for him to find me. He finally found his way to my office and his darting eyes flitted around the room till they landed on me. His breathing evened out and he slowly trudged over and hugged my waist, letting out a big sigh of relief. He plopped down and laid his head on my lap. It would be pretty amusing to see a giant man snuggling against a petite woman, nearly half his size.

"Yes, hun?" I gently combed my fingers through his fluffy hair absentmindedly, my eyes still not leaving that damn chemistry paper.

"Don't scare me like that... I thought something happened to you." His deep voice distracted me from my papers.

"That is just plain ridiculous, I am always in my office and you seem to panic every other morning about my whereabouts," I scoffed at him. It really was ridiculous. It was like he kept forgetting, then again, it's not like he's here often enough to remember anyways.

"Well maybe you should just stay in bed till I wake up then." He retorted.

"Another ridiculous idea." I murmured.

I eventually finished my assignment and neatly tucked everything in my bag. Kris had apparently drifted off on my lap. I ran my left hand through his soft, short hair, silently reminiscing about the old times. Back, when all I needed was him, and the troubles didn't matter. What I would give to go back to that time...

I suddenly stood up, making his head drop against the soft seat of the office chair. He woke up, startled.

"Hey, what the hell. Where are you going?" He groggily asked, his already low voice even huskier from his nap

"To school," was my short reply before I power-walked back to our bedroom and began to change from the home attire to an outfit fit for going outside.

Luckily, in college the classes started quite late, but I wanted to get there early. I don't think I could handle being in the house too long. I put on the first things that I saw, which happened to be a loose white V-neck, grey denim shorts, and sneaker wedges. I spritzed on a small amount of perfume and got my large taupe cinch shoulder bag, which held my school supplies.

"I think that the neckline is too low." He grumbled. I jumped.

From behind me, Kris stood there, leaning against the doorway with his arms crossed. I made eye contact with him through the mirror to see him scrutinizing my chosen outfit.

"It's fine." I waved off his comment, not having the energy to argue with him.

Skipping down the stairs, I grabbed my car keys and made my way to the door, the whole time him following me with slow footsteps. Before I left, he took hold of my wrist and spun me around to face him, almost giving me whiplash. He leaned over, but instead of hugging me I realized that he put on his giant sweater on me, which reached my knees, messing up my hair in the process.

I gently pushed him away and looked down at the sweatshirt now covering me. I loved wearing his large sweatshirts, really I did. They were warm and reminded me of him, like he was hugging me even when he wasn't. However, they now posed a problem.

"What are you doing?"

He shrugged his bare shoulders, for now all he wore was his sleeveless basketball jersey, and shoved his hands inside his short pockets.

"Now you won't be so exposed to the other...guys out there that will look at you."

"Yeah ok, but now it looks like I'm not wearing anything BUT the sweatshirt. It may be ok at home, but not when I'm going out in public!"

"Well you didn't seem to mind before!" He recanted sharply.

"Cause it was WINTER, and I wore tights underneath!"

He didn't say anything after that. I looked at him as if he was crazy, and felt my face turn red from anger.

"You know, I really don't want to fight with you, but please be reasonable."

I was getting frustrated and fed up, and I didn't know what else to say to convince him to drop the subject. I didn't need him to give me his sweatshirt. I really didn't need him to suddenly act jealous. I SURE AS HELL CERTAINLY, didn't need him to all of a suddenly care, when he had been gone the whole time. For all he knows, I could have another lover on the side...but honestly, I would never do that to him. I loved him too much to betray him, but as of now, I'm definitely rethinking it.

He still didn't say anything, but he looked around him, lips pursed and avoided looking at me, with his arms on his hips. It was like I was his source of frustration. I didn't think so.

"You know what? I don't even understand WHY you're complaining. You're NEVER home, always traveling to God-knows-what country! You basically have a life of your own, in the REAL world. So why can't I have mine! You don't understand how frustrating it is! I understand that you do what you have to do, but I can't put up with this anymore. I'm not making you choose between me and your job, but if it has really come to this, then I'm going to make that choice for you." I firmly glazed at him, all of my pent up frustration unleashing.

"What?! You think I LOVE leaving you? You think I'd rather stay out THERE than to come home to you! I do what I HAVE to do. You may say you understand, but honestly, have you EVER attempted to do what I have done?! HUH?! Have you ever had ALL the power in your hands, so much that the pathetic people out there will do ANYTHING, will KISS your , will BRIBE you, WILL TRY AND SEDUCE YOU, to get what they can? HAVE YOU?!!! NO! Don't act you understand, Amy. Cause you don't." He ended up threateningly close to me, his tall stature looming over me. His face was red from all the yelling, and a sneer stuck upon his lips. I wanted to cower away and hide.

No! I have to stay strong, but he was so frightening. My lips quivered a bit, and my eyes glistened with unshed tears. He must have seen, because his eyes softened, and he stood back up straight again but still remained close to me.

"Look, I'm sorry... I love you," HELL. NO. "I would do any-"

I cut him off. "Don't make any promises you can't keep. I'm leaving." I my heel and stalked angrily to my car.

Once I got in, I buckled in my seat belt, checked my mirrors, tore his sweatshirt off my body, threw my bag to the passenger seat, and started the ignition.

"Hey! You're coming back right?" His voice getting louder as he hurriedly rushed toward my car. I ignored him, revved my engine, and drove off.

And not once did I look back.