You're Not Alone

You're Not Alone - James

The soft tapping of your fingers against the keyboard of the laptop that warmed your lap was the only sound in your lonely condo. A soft yellow light tried to fight off the darkness while it gave you light to see your fingers. The soft light of the screen reflected over your face as you talked to one of your friends. She lived far away but you two had managed to find time to talk at least once a day.

Waiting for her answers you just relaxed if it was watching videos or writing stories or drawing, you did what made you happy. While Fox happily napped beside you, enjoying your presence and the warm computer.

Your conversation with her lasted a while but when you started getting tired and rubbing your eyes. Moving the laptop off of your lap, you went and drank a glass of water before returning to your seat on the couch.

Scrolling up to the top of her several messages that she sent while you were getting your drink, you read them carefully. The first one was like being dropped in a bucket of cold water, it came as a shock. You thought that your friendship was going pretty well but through each message you found so many differences between the two of you that you didn’t know if you could even be her friend anymore.

Tears bitterly stung your eyes as you told her you had to leave. Shutting off your laptop, you grabbed your phone and closed the lid of your laptop before walking into your room. A tightening, almost a desolate feeling started to fill inside of you. Gripping the handle to your door, you let yourself in and turned around quickly and loudly slamming the door behind you. Pressing your palm on your forehead, your kneels buckled as you fell luckily on your bed.

Your breath was rapid while your emotions and heart was making you hurt all over. Closing your eyes, you tried to focus on something else but after minutes of trying to distract yourself it was no use. Sitting up, you threw you phone on your bed while you walked into the closet to changed into some comfortable pajamas.

An old t shirt and some baggy pajama pants, you let your hair down from it’s style and pulled down the sheets to your queen bed. Sliding under the covers, you looked at your phone as you pushed the charger into your phone.

The bright light of your screen, once again highlighted your face in the dark room as your friend messaged you some more. She was getting more violent with her attacks, both of you said your goodbyes. Watching your screen go dark, you couldn’t help but let the phone fall to the side of you.

Reaching out to the foot of your bed, you dragged the blanket up between your arms and cuddled it closely until James, your husband, came home. Fox happily found his place on the little bed on the floor and drifted right off to sleep.

The warm, salty tears rolled down the side of your face, letting your eyes blink away the tears before sleep pulled you into its embrace.

Hours passed and it was past midnight that James was able to come home from practice at the studio for some new songs. His keys jingled as he turned them, allowing the front door to open for him. Taking in a deep breath, it felt good to be home. Setting his bag by the door, he hung up his jacket and scanned the main living space for you.

Slowly, he walked up and peered over the couch to see if you fell asleep while waiting for him, again. Not seeing you there, he knew you were asleep in your shared bed.

Shuffling into the kitchen, he made himself some food before devouring it hungrily and washing it down with some water. Patting his lips with a napkin, he turned off all of the lights and slowly made his way to the bedroom.

Turning to go into the bedroom, he saw that the door was totally closed. Discovering that it wasn’t slightly opened tipped him off that something was wrong. Twisting the handle, he pushed the door open and closed it behind him quietly, trying not to make a sound.

Looking over at the bed, he saw your beautiful curves as the duvet and the blankets over you rose and fell with your hips and shoulders. Staring at you, he saw the slight movement of your shoulders and smiled knowing that you were fast asleep.

Lifting one foot, he untied his shoe, then did the same with the other food. Carefully, he took them off and slowly walked over to the closet to change.

Placing his day clothes in the hamper, he put on some shorts and a black tank top that fit him and hugged his muscles in all the right places. Washing his face, he did his nightly routine before coming over to his side of the bed.

Pulling down the covers, he tried to move slowly so that he wouldn’t wake you. Easing himself onto the bed, he watched you closely as he slid into place, with his head resting on the pillow, his hand gently reached out to you and pet your head.

Following your hair down to your shoulders, James’ finger traced over your arm to your tightly gripped fingers that held onto the blanket between your arms. Slowly, he released your grip from the blanket starting with your fingers and gently pulled the blanket from you.

Stirring from the loss of warmth and comfort, he moved his body in the blanket’s place. Positioning your head on his chest, James wrapped his muscular arm around you and played with your hair while his other hand pulled up the sheets over your shoulder.

Petting your hair for some time, he wondered what was wrong. But as possibilities started swirling in his mind, he heard a hitch in your breath. The kind that makes your body shake slightly, looking down at you he kissed your forehead gently as his legs carefully mingled with yours.

It wasn’t until he felt something wet on his tank top that alarmed him. Your tears gently rolled down your cheeks and dropped off the bridge of your nose before they landed, soaking into his tank top.

James moved to turn on the bed side lamp, with the soft yellow light highlighting your face, he saw the many trails of tears that lined your face. Concern and sadness filled your eyes as his thumb gently brushed away your fresh tears.

Subconsciously moving into his comforting touch, you hummed softly moving closer to him. A slurred and mumbled word came out of your lips a few times, he tried to listen to find out what you were saying but more tears fell.

"James…" You finally mumbled audibly so that he could hear.

"Yes baby girl?" He whispered, rubbing your back in smoothing circles. Your eyes opened slowly as you saw a body that you were leaning on instead of a blanket.

Lifting your head slowly, you looked up at him, his eyes were wide and full of concern for you as you knew he wanted to ask what was wrong.

"My friend that I have known for a while, left me." You whispered placing your head back onto his chest. Sliding your eyes closed, you listened to his strong and rhythmic heartbeat.

"I’m sorry" James whispered quietly while his grip on you tightened but got more comfortable. "Why were you crying?" He asked resting his head against yours.

"She said some things that hurt me." You replied simply.

"No one can hurt you when I’m with you." He whispered, nodding your head against his chest, the soft sound of his tenor voice was a beautiful song to be heard. 

Slowly, through his singing, he replaced the hurtful feelings and made you doubt what she said about you and showed you all the love in his heart through his lyrics that he sang for you. Since it was just your song that he sang for you, you smiled and closed your eyes falling asleep a little happier in his arms.

Soon after he was sure that you were asleep, his eyes dropped off and he joined you, protecting you in dreamland.