Maybe.

Stranger Stranger

It was quiet at the café. Well, why wouldn't it be? It was already night time, a quarter to midnight to be exact. Today I was supposed to take the night shift with Yeseul but something urgent came up and she had to take an emergency leave because of it. 

I decided to call it a day  when the last customer had left. I headed to the staffs' room to get my bag and hang my apron when I heard a familiar tingling sound of the front door bell. 

"I'm sorry but we're closing," I said as I rushed to the front part of the café. 

I was surprised to see a young man-probably no older than I am-bent over with one hand on his knee and the other on his lips as if signaling me to be quite. 

Confused as I was, I opened my mouth to ask him some questions but instead, he briskly walked pass me and crouched behind the counter. I peered over at him but he gave me the same gesture as before. What was this all about? I thought and was about to chase him out of the café when the front door bell rang for the second time. 

"I'm sorry but we're closed," I said as I turned around to the customer. 

And again, I was surprised to see two buff men wearing black leather jackets with thick silver necklaces around their necks and horrible scars from who knows what. They were twice my height and thrice my size. I gulped at all the possibilities they could do to me. 

I kept my fear aside, and repeated my words. If they try to do anything to me, that guy from earlier would help me out right? That wouldn't be likely if he, too, was hiding from them. It was possible though. 

"Sorry to barge in but have you seen a young guy, raven hair, medium height, wearing a dark blue shirt running around just now?" the taller of the two asked. 

I tried visualizing him in my head and realized that it was that guy. Yes, I do. In fact, he's hiding behind the counter. However, those words only played in my head as I shook my head and wore an annoyed facade. 

"Alright then. Thank you," said the taller guy and both of them left the café soon after. 

I let out a relived sigh. Huh, for gangsters, they sure are polite. I thought as a smile crept up my face. 

"Are they gone?" 

I jumped a little when I heard the voice. I almost forgot about the guy hiding behind the counter. He was the reason the two men entered the café. What business does he have with them for him to be chased around like that? Was he a drug addict? Or was he with them? 

"Ye...yeah," I stuttered as I back-paddled a little when he came out from his hiding place. 

I looked around the café for anything to use against him but all I could get my hands on was a broom and a feather duster. Great, I thought. This won't be much help but it'll do. But what if he has a knife with him or worse...a gun. 

"Don't come close!" I said as I aimed the broom at him. "I have a broom and I'm not afraid to use it," 

A chuckle escaped his lips as he moved closer to where I was standing. I suddenly felt stupid and was aware that my face was probably beet red with embarrassment. However, I still held the broom in front of me just in case. 

The guy took hold of the end of the broom which was pointed directly at him and gently took it away from me. I was mesmerized by his smile that I didn't realize his actions. It was his voice that snapped me out of my daze. 

"Can you get me a  cup of hot chocolate?" 

I looked at him suspiciously. He didn't look like a drug addict, nor someone who'd take advantage of other people but...Can I trust him? No, I can't but why were my legs walking to the counter to make him his hot chocolate? A question that I may not know the answer ever...maybe. 

I grabbed a white mug and a teaspoon from the dish-rack. While I was busy making his hot chocolate, he was watching my every move which made me feel a bit uncomfortable-no, let me rephrase that-very uncomfortable. I placed the mug in front of him and motioned him to pay up. 

"That'll be 1 500 won," 

He ignored me and sniffed the drink before taking a sip of it. He closed his eyes as he indulge in the taste. Seeing a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips, I felt a sudden feeling of contentment. When he opened his eyes and met with mine, I quickly looked away while mentally scolding myself for feeling such way to a stranger. 

His smile widens as he fished some bills from his wallet and placed them on the counter. 

"Now this," he said and gestured the mug before continuing, "this is hot chocolate. What brand did you use?" 

I was flustered by his question. Wasn't that a bit too random? But I decided to entertain him and told him the brand the café used. If that could make him leave faster, then why not? 

"Can I get something to go with the drink?" he asked. 

He looked at me with twinkling eyes to which I didn't have the heart to turn him down. I sighed mentally as I walked to the fridge where the cakes were kept to prevent them from turning bad. There was only a slice of chocolate cheese cake left. Lucky him, I thought. Well, usually there won't be any leftovers. Either they were sold out or eaten by the other staffs. 

"Here you go," 

The guy muttered a soft thanks and ate the cake deliciously. I couldn't help but to feel hungry and angry at the same time. What does he think he's doing? Filming a commercial? I thought as I went back to the staffs' room to retrieve my bag and jacket and hang my apron. I did mentioned that I was closing, so why did he take his time? Maybe just to make sure the men chasing him were really off his tail...maybe. 

When I walked back to the front, I saw him standing by the sink. He was busy washing the dishes and seeing this makes my heart flutter a bit, if not a lot. I find it rare for a guy to clean up after himself after eating, especially kids nowadays. Believe me, I experienced it first hand. 

I cleared my throat to catch his attention. Apparently, it did as he movements became more rushed but still careful. 

Both of us walked out of the café and while I locked the doors, he looked around to the surrounding of the café. 

"Thanks...for saving me earlier," he said while looking directly at me. 

"Sure, it's nothing. Now if you'll excuse me, I will take my leave," I gave him a curt nod and was about to walk away when he spoke up. 

"Why did you lie to them?" 

I froze at his question. True though, why did I lie? 

"Err, I didn't want them to cause a ruckus at the café. With no one around to help, that'll be bad," I said, turning my back to him. 

"Okay, thanks again. Good night...Jihye," 

Once again, I froze at my spot. How did he know my name? I turned around to ask him that question but to my disappointment, he already left. 

Maybe he saw the name tag on my uniform...maybe. 


I'm thinking of continuing this as a short chapter-ed story. Maybe...maybe not?