Writing Style

Tips and Tricks to Writing

Writing style is probably one of the most important and one of the most difficult topics since it's so broad. Beginning with the obvious, a person's writing style varies from writer to writer and some readers like it, others don't, that's just something that you can't control. So to start off, if someone doesn't like your writing style, don't worry about it because if it works for you, then that is all that really matters-- unless your publishing a book but I don't know the criteria to that so lets just stick to freelance/creative writing shall we?

Next question would be: how do you know what writing style works best for you? Well lets just say that the road to finding the right writing style is a long and painful one (where did I hear this before). Writing styles, typically, are picked up from other writers so to widen your exposure to different styles, you have to read-- a lot. It's going to take a lot of time to pick up your own writing style (believe me, it took me forever), but writing isn't something that you get better at in a couple days. Writing is something that takes time, it's a skill that needs to be nurtured and it's a very helpful skill not only in your creative life but in your professional one as well. To better your writing you have to read and you don't have to read every classic book out there or every book in the library in that matter. You just have to read from time to time, read a couple passages a day, read some articles here and there, it's meant to keep your brain fresh in a way. You pick up writing styles from different authors. You see how they execute their words and it's kind of like a pick and choose process: you pick the author with the best style and you study how they sew together their words to make everything flow.

Now, after you've picked a writing style from author X, it doesn't mean that you start copying them. Rather, you use their writing as a kind of formatting tool. You see how they describe things, whether they keep it simple or they get all crazy elaborate; take notice of how they explain their characters and how they execute certain things at certain parts of their book(s); you keep note of things about their writing that made you choose theirs over everyone elses and you try to incorporate those things into your writing as well. When you begin to plug and chug, you'll notice that some things don't work for you and just come out plain awkward as hell. At this point, you either fix it or delete it. With time, you'll see that a lot of things don't work for you and that it will be really frustrating because what you tried to say doesn't come out how you thought it would. It's a whole aggitating process but this is something you have to endure as a writer. The more you write, the easier it will be for the words to flow from your brain to your fingers and before you know it, it'll become second nature so long as you keep practicing. And when you continue practicing, you'll notice that things you thought didn't work for you actually do work. You open yourself up to different styles of writing that you once abhorred and the process just keeps going and going until finally, you have a distinct writing style that you could call your own but not deny that countless of other writers have contributed to it.

But your new found writing style will continue to be editted because just like time, it is always changing and this is something I feel writers, editors, and readers should understand. A writing style is not permanent. It comes and goes and you find yourself with a different writing style from two years back. And another thing, a type of style is not the same for every writer. Many writers may write similarly but there will be things that distinguish an author from the rest. This is something that should be aimed for: a writing style unique to you. If your readers don't like it, fine. Let them not like it. Other people's likes and dislikes are not something you can control. Writing, just like any talent, isn't meant to please. Writing is meant for the writer, as a form of escape, a place to let their dreams wreak havoc, to allow the world to see your world through words and punctuation. As a writer, you don't dictate your style, your plot, your grammar or anything to please the reader. It's all meant for you. If you like it then other readers will learn to like it as well.

I don't want to go off on a tangent about this but I can't help but want to stress this point. Your writing syle is yours and yours alone. It takes years to nurture it to its full potential and once you get there, you'll be more than proud at how far you've gone. Once you have reached that point, you'll be glad that you've decided to stand firm to your writing, even if people think you describe too much or you're too vague on certain parts of your story. And I don't know if this will mean much to anyone but in my book, a writer (professional or not) with their own unique writing style is someone whose work I find worth read, even if I don't agree on how they execute their story.

To close, these are some of the important things I'm hoping you get out of this whole muck:

  1. A unique writing style takes a long period of time to create. Don't be frustrated because it take's long. Know that this is an art and it takes time to perfect any art (unless your naturally blessed with this ability then it might be shorter for you).
  2. The only way to improve is to look at other writers.
  3. Not everything works and that's okay. Move on and try the next thing or figure out a way to make it work for you, no matter how much you have to change it.
  4. A writing style is unique to every writer, it's like a fingerprint. You can never copy another person's writing style, even if you copy them word for word. 
  5. You should never change your writing for anyone. Writing isn't meant to please the masses. It's for you and you alone. People will learn to appreciate it down the road.