A Promise to Fulfill

When all else fail, Taltal won't

"Your Majesty, His Highness wants to talk to you."

"Let him enter."

Ayu has come to see me, again. He comes to my tent everyday. He wants to help in planning our return to Daidu. Ever since here he thought of nothing else but how to fight the rebels, a fight that even the Prime Minister could not overcome.

he bowed his head upon seeing me as he entered my tent. My son, has he forgotten that he is the next in line to the throne? When he looked up, his strong eyes looked to mine.

"Mother... what news about the rebellion?"

"Nothing new, we still have no idea about them."

"You know we could still march on to Daidu to find out,"

"Taeja..." we've argued about this for days. "If we march on to the capital without knowing our enemies that well, we'd end up dead."

"Just saying..."

What does he know about planning a war? He's too young and he has lot to learn. Ayu obviously inherited Tahwan's aggresiveness, but not his thirst for glory, he only wants us safe as soon as possible.

We had our usual routine, we would talk and discuss our plans for hours, with Commander Park, then the Commander would leave to patrol the lands, if ever the rebels have decided to attack us. We've sent Eunuch Bang and Jeokho to Daidu to spy on what's happening there, but we haven't heard from them yet.

It was already nighttime when Ayu decided to go back to his quarters. Both of us were obviously tired, but he still pretended to feel okay. He was about to say his farewell when I approached him.

"Taeja... you're still young, don't overexert yourself."

"I have no time to act like my age mother. It's time to act like a crown prince, so that father will be proud of him."

"Your father, ever since you were born, has always been proud of you."

He looked sad after I said those words, like he was about to cry. My boy... I know exactly how it feels. I reach to hug him.

"Ayu ya..."

"Mother... I miss him... very much."

"So do I my son... so do I."

______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

"Hwanghu mama... I have something to tell you."

Hongdan approached me earlier to tell me that she wanted to talk to me alone, outside the camp. I agreed to know what's been bothering her lately, and to breathe fresh air for once.

Tell me Hongdan."

Instead of immediately telling me what her problem was, she knelt down, like asking forgiveness because she committed a crime. "Mama... forgive me. I am not a worthy servant, so please punish me."

"What are you talking about?" I am confused.

"Someone... one of the soldiers confessed his love for me, and I told him that I felt the same way as well. It's my fault that we became close, He asked for my hand in marriage but I said no."

"A soldier?" I knew it was my guard. There's no other soldier who stood close to me, and to her. "You're trying to say.."

"I don't want to commit a sin against you Hwanghu mama, I know clearly well that I'm a court lady. I wanted to say yes, but I have a duty to you and to Taeja mama. So please punish me for even thinking these dirty thoughts. I don't think I deserve—"

"Hongdan ah..it's okay. I understand you. Don't think about it anymore. There are rules yes, but right now, under these circumstances, those rules that you refer to may be useless because maybe, we won't ever go back to the palace. And if we do, then who cares?"

"Mama..."

"Tell him, tell him what you really feel, but promise me, don't.. don't you ever leave me and the prince. You're one of the few people whom I trust.. so whatever you do, please stay. Get married, have children, I don't care... just stay."

"Mama, thank you."

As we return back to camp and approached my quarters, I saw Commander Park, waiting outside with Eunuch Bang and Jeokho. All three of them were crying. I immediately walked towards them with worry.

"What happened?"

Eunuch Bang bowed down and when he looked up, his expression looked like he was crying because he was too happy, Jeokho and Commander Park too looked the same. When I wanted to ask why, Ayu went out of my tent.

"Mother," his smile returned. Hope is in his eyes again. "He's waiting."

~끝