You Are My Summer

You Are My Summer

He sat in the car in total darkness. He had killed the ignition 10 minutes ago and now the car was getting colder with every passing moment. he hated the both cold and darkness, Outside the rain was falling heavily.he hated that too. The raindrops were falling almost in sheets on his windshields. He tried to trace on random drop as it slid on his side window. He looked bleakly as the drop feel down into the puddle that formed near his car, joining its fellow drops. Well, he thought, this is what ultimately happens; everyone joins the unknown eventually. As he watched more drops joining the puddle, he thought that when the time comes and when he’ll join the unknown he will finally be able to be with him, Jinki, the one that he lost.

His cell phone beeped indicating the arrival of new message. But he didn't need to look at the screen to know what was written in it. 'Where the hell are you, Key? Pick up my phone, damn it' was left unread. Jinki would have love this evening, Key thought idly as he watched the rain while switching off his phone.

His lover had loved the rain and Key the summer. Though Key hated rain with zest as it made everything around him damp and depressing, Jinki had a way that made even rainy days more tolerable, even enjoying. His sunny smile, the half moon eyes when he laughed, his lame jokes, complex puns were eternal summer for Key. So whenever sky showed the signs of getting heavy he would hurry home early ater messaging Jinki, with a load of ramyun, crips and a brand of strong coffee. Once home he will prepare for the power cut (you never know) and wait impatiently for jinki’s return. He would be fidgeting the entire time as he waited for his lover’s return and rain to start. Then with first flash of lighting g and rumbling of thunder he would inevitably curse colourfully both at the sky and at his lover, former for its early arrival and at latter for being late. As the water works will start Key will resort to burying himself in the quilt peering desperately at the door in the hope of the hearing the much awaited sound of keys turning the lock. The usual suspense drama ended with Jinki returning mostly ten – fifteen minutes late, totally drenched with a idiot grin and a bag of Chinese take outs. And Key would mostly usually swear at him at the same time fuss over him, helping him to change into dry clothes while clinging to him instinctively every time thunder clasped. Then Jinki would run his warm hands up and down over Key's back soothingly and eventually Key would calm down. This routine of theirs would end with both sitting wrapped up in the quilt eating the takeouts, crips and watching a cheesy romantic movie. And if the power went out, Jinki would invariably reach over to Key and hold his hands, talking softly by the glow of single candle which he would have somehow managed to light. 

As another loud thunder rumbled nearby Key shuddered. He almost put out his hands as if to reach for his lover’s hands, but it fell back limply, empty. “You know i hate this weather. Couldn’t you have done something about it now that you are over there?” he asked darkly looking heavenward. He looked at the clock. It’s already been forty minutes since he got there. He rolled his windows down a bit and squinted through the downpour and grey evening. He saw the crowd standing at the distance clenching their umbrellas. Sighing, he rolled back his window and leaned over to the steering wheel. As he closed his eyes the snippets of the last conversation he had with jinki began to play, for umpteenth time. 

“Admit it you are a wimp” Key screamed. “You don’t have enough of guts to get through this.” 
Jinki looked as if he has slapped. “You approached me first”. Key pushed,“you said you are deeply in love with me first. You made me fall for you and now you are taking an exit because your pomp family wants you to get married to a rich ?” 
“For Christ’s sake, Key, you know i still love you,” Jinki exploded (which was rare). “All I want is some time to work this mess out” he grounded out. “I will convince my family to drop the entire matter even if it means to come out”. 

Key eyes widened. The idea that Jinki would even come out for bringing resolution of the matter frightened him. Jinki came from affluent family who were strict to their code of morals (who frankly according to Key were stuck up asses) and Jinki’s upbringing itself had been kind of severe. Yet Jinki managed to be different from his flock. He was kind, clumsy, down to earth and spontaneous at the same time mature person which made Key irresistible towards him. Jinki confessed to have found his better half in Key with him being bit selfish, vain, expressive, caring and free spirited. Both were like pieces of same puzzle and thus completed each other. But there was no way that it would be seen in the same spirit by Jinki’s family. Key was way out of their league. And then his gender was also a problem. Jinki’s being from a conservative family, Key knew that there was no way in hell that they would understand their love, their relation, this most beautiful thing that they have between them. So, Jinki coming out to his family would mean a world of hell for them. Key knew this day will eventually come, though both and conveniently avoided the topic, but to be suddenly facing it.....
Jinki easily read Key’s eyes and quickly walked over to and hugged him tightly. “Baby, you know we will have to do this someday or other. It’s now better now than later. And trust me it will be always you before anyone or anything else. Never the otherwise. . I will fight for you, for us” Jinki then slowly ran his fingers through Key’s hair clutching him closely to his body and heart as if his life depended on him. Key gripped the shirt over Jinki’s chest and took deep shakey breaths. He wanted to trust the words uttered by Jinki but at the same he knew the mindset of his lover’s family and a doubt like a ugly snake refused to lie down but kept on gnawing him. Still, he didn’t have heart to shout at Jinki anymore, instead he tightly hugged him and wished that either time would freeze now of fast forward itself to the part where all this would be over and he and Jinki would be living ‘happily ever after’. 

But by the time everything was over, Key thought as wearily leaned away from the wheel, they were finished, at least for the world. His mind whirred through the past few days’ happenings. The past week, after Jinki left ‘sort out the matter with his family’ had been nerve wrecking. He received only two (very) short calls from Jinki asking about his well being. But after Thursday that too ended. Key consoled himself that it was for the best that Jinki should deal with his family by himself, though he felt it bit unfair; and swore that he won’t add to Jinki’s problems by pestering with childish demands that he should at least be given updates. He did all sort of things to keep himself occupied and distracted the anxiety remained. Everything seemed too quite till one evening Minho, Key and Jinki’s common friend, came barging through the door along with his partner Jonghyun. Everything that happened after was blur to Key as he vaguely remembers being held tightly by them as they told how Jinki got killed in accident as he was leaving his family home for good to join Key. Apparently his family had abjectly opposed to accept both his preference and love. They had threatened to disown Jinki and defame Key is such a way that they would be reduced to streets. Though Jinki had left challenging his family to do their worst and proclaiming that his love for key would only grow stronger given whatever circumstances, he knew his family being both rich and powerful was capable of anything. He was worried not for himself but for Key, that was what he told to Minho over the phone he started his car. He had called Minho (one of the best lawyer in the city) seeking his legal advice in the current situation.

Eye witnesses say that the driver seemed distracted and in hurry. He was driving bit too fast and didn’t see the red light at the crossing. As the car was trying to speed past the red light it was hit by the oncoming SUV. The impact was such that the car spun out of control and hit the nearest lamppost which sent it again spinning towards another oncoming car. It was impossible for the driver to survive.

Key wiped the single tear that slide through his left eye. He was surprise there were any left, given that he cried continuously for several days. Sniffing he ran his palm across his face. He had to look at least presentable, he thought. He looked at his watch. Fifteen minutes have passed. As if on cue, the people began to come out and they filed past his car without a second glance. It was still raining and people were eager to get out of the place as soon as they can which pleased Key only more. The car was getting too crampy and he was eager to get out. 

It took another five minutes for the crowd to clear up, but finally they did. Patience was never Key’s strong area and was really running out of whatever ration that he had of that with him. When he was sure that he was alone, he opened the door with a jerk which was both mixture of impatience and eagerness. The rain had stopped. Picking up the bouquet of purple carnations (jinki's favorite) from the passenger seat, Key took a deep breath, inhaling the damp air and he started walking towards his destination. As rounded the gates he was surprised to see a lone figure walking towards him. The boy too seemed to have notice him as he halted. Silently he bowed to Key which Key too reciprocated uncertainly. 
“i was afraid you wouldn't come” the boy said looking at Key with big sad eyes.
“Taemin...” Key couldn't complete his sentence. He didn't know how to explain the things to this 17 year old boy.
“It’s ok. I know hyung loved you...loved you more than anybody. I could see that...it’s sad that others couldn't...I... I apologize for my family for being so cruel that they didn't allow you to see the body...I...I...” Taemin couldn't complete the sentence as he broke into sob. Key felt pity for him but at the same time he felt the anger against Jinki’s family surging up. He can never forgive them. So he simply patted the head of Taemin and started walking ahead leaving the younger boy crying. Someday, Key thought as quickened his pace, he may be able to talk to Taemin, Jinki’s much loved brother without holding the grudge.

As Key reached the freshly covered grave he trembled. He had the sudden urge to claw the earth and lie beside the person who was lying beneath. But instead he pulled himself up, blinked back the tears that were threatening to form, broke into a beautiful smile and placed the carnations on the top of the grave."you're an to die like that" Key griped as he kneeled down near the soggy grave."But you know i still love you". he felt jinki's concern even through the grave. So, he pulled his jacket closer to himself as he stood up again. “Don’t worry baby, I will live”, Key spoke loud determined tone. “I will live for both of us, fight for both of us. I will fulfill all our dreams and wishes one by one for I know you are still with me .We are not separated, neither by those people nor by death.”