Final

Close Call

“Please Sae Mi.  It’s been three weeks since I said that?”

“How can you be so blind?  You know what?  I don’t care.  I don’t care about you.  I don’t care about what you think about me.  I don’t care that you think I’m shallow.  I don't care that you think I'm the kind of girl who sleeps with every guy she sees.  I don’t care that you think I slept with Kwangmin.  I don’t care.  I just don’t so please just leave me alone.  I don’t want to talk to you or even see you for that matter.  I’m done with you.”  I said in the calmest voice possible. 

I had begun to walk away when he grabbed my arm making me face him again.

“LET ME GO!”  I screamed at an adamant Youngmin. 

He let go of my arm and I walked out of the dorm and down the street towards the park.  I passed the park and continued walking until I couldn’t walk any further.  I sat down on a nearby bench and buried my face in my hands.

“How could he think I was only here for the money?  How could he think I was only working for Boyfriend for the measly paycheck I received?  How could he be so blind to what was truly going on?  To the true reason I’ve stayed even though he and Kwangmin were s towards me every day?  How could he not see that no matter how many times he pissed me off to the point of leaving, I stayed because I loved him? How could he?”  I whispered to myself barely able to hear it over the cars buzzing by.

By the time I was calmed down it was dark outside.  I picked my head up noticing someone walking towards me.  They sped up and I was scared.  I didn’t know who was coming to me.  Or why.  I started crossing the street and they started running towards me.

“Sae Mi!” They yelled after me. I immediately froze due to immense fear washing over my body. How did they know my name?

Before I could realize anything, I was pushed out of the way into the empty side of the street, a loud thud and screeching brakes snapping my attention from my bloody arms and legs.  I looked to where the sound came from noticing someone laying at least 6 feet from where the car had stopped. I slowly stood up and limped towards the frail body lying in the street. 

When I finally arrived to the seemingly unconscious body, I fell to the ground.

“YOUNGMIN!!! WAKE UP!!! PLEASE!!! YOUNGMIN PLEASE WAKE UP!!!”  I picked his upper half up and held him in my arms.  I cried as I rocked us back and forth. “Please Youngmin.  Don’t leave me.  Please.  Youngmin wake up.”  He opened his eyes slightly and moved just enough to grab my hand.  He held on as tight as he could. “Please Youngmin.  You have to stay awake.  Stay awake for me.  Stay awake for Boyfriend.  Just please stay awake.”  I continued rocking us until I could see the ambulance coming up the street.  I knew he heard the siren and he squeezed tighter and breathed out one phrase.  “What?”  I said wanting him to stay awake.

“I’m…..sorry…..” He said as the ambulance pulled up and paramedics jumped out.  I still had some hope he would be safe.  That was until his whole body went completely limp and his hand slid out of mine hitting the ground palm up.  His head lolled back and I knew then that I had lost him forever.  I gently laid him down as the paramedics stopped in front of us.  They checked for a pulse quickly finding a faint one then losing it.  They grabbed their equipment and began the countdown.

“One, Two, Three, *shock*” His body jumped from the ground.  “Okay again.” His body jumped again.  “Okay we got it back a little bit stronger now.  We need to get him to the hospital ASAP.”  The paramedic said in a loud tone.  They put him the stretcher and loaded him into the ambulance.

“Let’s…”  The police officer started scaring me to death. “Oh I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Gwenchanahyo.”

“Let’s get you to the hospital and get you checked out.”  I nodded my head and climbed in the backseat of the car since his partner was in the front.  I laid down on the seat and closed my eyes, tears still finding their way down my cheeks.   

When we arrived at the hospital we found out Youngmin was taken back to the operating room.  They put me in another room and I waited for the doctor.  2 Hours, an MRI, a CT SCAN, and 6 X-Rays later they determined I was fine except for a broken arm and fractured leg from hitting the ground so hard.  The doctor left and the people who were going to cast me walked in.  They started the process telling me to hold my arm out even though it was painful. 

“I-is he okay?”

“Who?”  The nurse asked.

“Youngmin.  The guy who got hit by the car.”

“Oh.  Honey I don’t know.  I’m sorry.”

“Gwenchanah.”  I said lowering my head allowing the tears to fall again.

After I was casted, Donghyun came to check me out.

“Donghyun-ah~ I’m sorry.”  I said as I began to cry again.  He held me as we sat in the waiting room.

“It’s not your fault Sae Mi.” 

“If I would have recognized him before he wouldn’t have ran after me and I wouldn’t have been in the street for him to push me out of the way getting hit himself.”

“That doesn’t make it your fault.  You were scared.  A random person was walking up to you in the dark and you were scared.  It is not your fault.”

I didn’t want to argue so I left it there.  I ended up falling asleep on his shoulder only to be awaken when the doctor walked out looking for us.

“Annyeonghaseyo.”  We said bowing.

“Are you Donghyun and Sae Mi?”

“Neh.” Donghyun said.

“Is he okay?”  I said fearing the worst.

“Well, he is stable but there is a 70% chance he won’t make it.  He had a fracture to his skull, bleeding on the brain, broken ribs, a collapsed lung, and not to mention the broken limbs and all the blood he lost.”

I dropped to the floor shaking my head and crying.  I didn’t want to believe that I was going to lose him.  I couldn’t believe that I was going to lose him.

“So there is 30% chance he will survive?”

“Yes.”

“Well can we see him in case that 30% doesn’t happen?”

I wanted to punch Donghyun in his face for saying that.  He pulled me up from the ground and we followed the doctor.  When we got to the room, Donghyun helped me to the chair and went to sit on the couch.  I looked at Youngmin laying there.  Tubes were coming from everywhere.  His throat, his arms, every place you could stick a tube.  Wires attached to his chest under the gown and the pulse checker on his finger.  He was so helpless and I couldn’t do anything but cry.

I grabbed his hand in mine and locked my fingers with his.

“Youngmin.  I’m so sorry.”  I started, the tears beginning to flow again.

“I’m going to get us some food.”  Donghyun said standing up from the couch.

“Arrasso.”  I said still looking at Youngmin.

“I’m going to visit you every day until there is no reason to.  I will hold your hand everyday so you know that I forgive you.  I will talk to you everyday to show you that I’m sorry for not talking to you before.  I will kiss your forehead before I leave to show you that I still love you.”  The tears hand finally begun to calm down and I rested my head on the edge of the bed.

I don’t know how long I was sleeping but I know that when I woke up Donghyun left a note on my food and was gone.

Went back to the dorm to explain everything to the others.  I will be back in the morning.

I ate my food and closed my eyes again dosing off on the edge of the bed holding his hand again. 

After about week there was still no change.  I visited him twice a day once in the morning and then at night.  It had become a routine to sleep in the hospital.  That night was no different.  I was beginning to lose hope and decided this would be my last visit.

"Youngmin-ah~ I'm beginning to accept that I've lost you.  I won't come back tomorrow.  It's too hard."  I said nearly sobbing.  "I don't want to give up on you I really don't. But you're not progressing and it's getting too hard to see you like this."  I said putting my head down and continuing to cry. 

I began dosing off but right before I was fully asleep I thought I heard him say my name.

"What?" I asked still looking at the floor.  "See now I'm beginning to hear your voice." 

Then I felt it.  Youngmin was squeezing my hand lightly.  I looked over to him to see his eyes half lidded with tears rolling down his cheeks.

“Hold on I’m going to get the doctor.”  I told him.  I didn't know what else to do.

I rushed out of the room and brought the doctor back as soon as possible.  He marked it on the log and walked over to check vitals. 

“Let’s get that tube out of your throat so you can talk.”  He walked out and a nurse came in.  She started removing the tube but I couldn’t watch.  When it was finally out, I walked back over to him and sat in the chair.

“Youngmin-ah~ I am so so sorry.”

“For…what?”  He said in a raspy struggle.  “I…was the one…who upset you.”  Hearing how much he was struggling just to tell me made me not want to argue with him.  “Sae Mi-ah~…” 

“Shh~” I said cutting him off.  “I’m going to get you some water.  Hold on.”  I walked over to the sink and came back with the cup.  I handed him the cup and he drank the water in small sips.

“Sae Mi.”

“Hmm.”

“Come here.”  He said his voice clearer than before but still raspy. I scooted the chair closer to him and he slowly leaned towards me. "Closer.  I can't sit up."  he said and I listened.  He kissed my forehead and then laid back down.

“What was that for?”

“To show you that I love you.”

“What?!”

“I love you Sae Mi.  I always have.  But when that whole thing happened with Kwangmin, I was upset.  I thought my chances were gone.  That picture of you two together at that hotel was so believable.”

“But it wasn’t me.”

“I know that now.  I’m sorry I ever thought you were that kind of person.  I’m sorry I was so blind to the love you had for me.”

“Have for you Youngmin.  Even though there were countless times when you pissed me off I always forgave you because I love you.  But this time I was so hurt.”

“I know and I’m sorry.  I never meant to hurt you like that.”

“I know you didn’t.  That’s why I forgive you.”

We wiped our tears away and he moved over just enough for me to lay with him.

“Are you sure you’re not uncomfortable?”  I asked him as I rested head and casted arm on his casted chest.

“Sae Mi.”

“Hmm.”

“The side of my body you are laying on is casted.  Shouldn’t you be the uncomfortable one?”  He said chuckling in a raspy tone.

“Yea I guess you’re right.  But I’m here with you and you’re alive so I am perfectly okay.”

He smiled at me and I kissed his lips softly.

“I love you Sae Mi.”

“I love you Youngmin.  Don’t ever leave me ara?”

“Arrasso.”  He said smiling and resting his free hand on my hair as he it gently.  “I will never leave you.”

And with that we both fell asleep in each other’s arms, well me on his cast but same difference.  We were happy and that’s all that mattered.