Calls, Messages, and December Conflict

Time Mishap
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DISCLAIMER: 

 

 

The following story is of pure fiction. Any similar events or persons written are purely coincidental. :P

Welcome to my alternate universe of KaiSoo.

Enjoy.

 

 

 

 

[November 29, 2013, Friday]

7:15 am, Do’s Residence

 

 

“Kyungie hyung…”

 

“….”

 

“Kyungie hyuuung….”

 

“….”

 

“HYUNG! WAKE UP‼”

“Hnn..huh, what th-?”

 

Kyungsoo jumped off his bed as if someone just poured an ice cold bucket of water all over him. He was in the middle of dreaming about a certain tanned boy laughing while lying down with him on a familiar red foldable cushion when a certain voice broke him away from his sweet dream.

 

“Are you awake now?”

 

“Ugh. How long have you been there?” Kyungsoo yawned as he stretched both of his milky white hands up in the air, loosening all the constrained limbs from his long night sleep.

 

“About 5 minutes ago…”

 

Kyungsoo yawned once more as his fingers went on absent mindedly scratching his still droopy eyes far from being wide awake. His other free hand started searching along the waves of the soft white sheets almost covering his whole queen-sized bed, abruptly stopping when he felt the cream coloured case cover of his tablet. His fingers fiddled on the magnetic folded lock and as the tablet became free from its soft cover, a familiar smiling face greeted his almost awake eyes.

 

“Good morning, Kyungie hyung.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled. Of course, only one person would call him this early in the morning. That one person that he always set the option answer immediately for all his calls on his phone and even on Skype, regardless of wherever he is - may it be during class, studying, or even during work. He always made sure to give time for this one special person despite his jam-packed and tight schedule.

 

“Good morning Jonginnie.”

The person on the screen beamed, his smile escalating to that with pure happiness as he heard Kyungsoo greet him back. He scratched his nape while trying not to face directly on the screen, that sweet smile never leaving his lips.

 

“You’ll be late for school hyung.”

 

“It’s still early Jonginnie, don’t worry. I can talk for a bit more.” Kyungsoo explained as he made his way towards his bathroom, the tablet still in his hands. He positioned it carefully on the built-in shelf, making sure that Jongin still has the perfect view to see him through the screen as did his morning freshen up.

 

There was a short pause before Kyungsoo heard a nearly audible reply from the speakers.

 

“Okay…”

 

Kyungsoo accidentally dropped his toothbrush on the white, alabaster sink while still in the middle of washing it free from the remnants of toothpaste and bubbles. Jongin’s tone was not the usual, normal happy one and Kyungsoo knew that instant that something’s bothering the younger. Properly returning the toothbrush (after one last proper rinse) on its case above the sink, Kyungsoo brought back his attention to the said boy.

 

“What’s wrong?” He worriedly asked, looking right towards the screen.

 

But Jongin wasn’t at the screen any more. Instead, it was focused on a white sheet of paper with carefully, formally printed black inked letters. Kyungsoo squinted near enough to be able to read what it said.

 

“….University 2013 Annual School Trip…” Kyungsoo stopped reading. Oh.

 

“Surprise!” Jongin grinned as he reappeared once more on the screen, removing the white sheet off the camera. The excitement seemed to be oozing out of his body and despite that it was only a video call, Kyungsoo can’t help but become affected by his giddiness as well, seeing that the same grin crept along his very own lips.

 

“Okay, how did your school trip become a surprise this time?” Kyungsoo asked, raising one of his eyebrows in pure curiousity.

 

Jongin smirked and was followed immediately by a short ruffling of sounds on the other line, and the white sheet once again came into view, but this time, a new set of printed letters were focused on the screen.

 

“Read.”

 

There were a few seconds of silence as the familiar words written beside DESTINATION plastered on the screen registered on Kyungsoo’s mind.

 

“Oh my God! You’re coming here!” Kyungsoo squealed, voice overflowing with pure excitement and anticipation. He tried to reread the paper once more but Jongin yanked it away again from the camera, showing his excited facial expression once more.

 

“Yes hyung! It’s a four day long trip over the school days next week. We’ll be touring parts of the city. And since the last stop is a mall near your university. I was hoping we could uh… meet up… a-and… you know… talk… and bonding and stuff?”

 

Kyungsoo can’t help but giggle as he watched Jongin scramble over his words. How could he even say no to this dear boy?

And so, despite the ranting on his mind that next week's going to be really packed to the peak with schedules and deadlines, both from his majors and his work as well, Kyungsoo has far long decided on his answer.

 

“Of course Jonginnie. Let’s meet. I missed seeing you.” Kyungsoo replied.

“Really?” Jongin carefully asked.

“Of course. Anything for my Jonginnie.”

“Yay!”

“Just tell me what time and where okay?”

“Yup! It’s on December 5. We’ll probably be there in the afternoon since we only have 2 stops that day.”

“Okay. I’ll see you then. You should start preparing too you know? You still have class.” Kyungsoo pointed out as he took out a new set of clothes from his walk-in closet, along with a new pearl white body towel.

“B-but…I still…” Jongin pleaded.

“No buts, Jonginnie. I’ll call you later during break okay?” Kyungsoo retorted. He glanced back at his digital clock, frowning as he saw it bleed the digits 7:45.

“Alright hyung. I’ll hang up now. Careful on your way, okay? I’ll call you later! Bye-bye!” Jongin muttered, and after seeing Kyungsoo smiled and waved back, he hang up the call, leaving his saved picture on Kyungsoo’s contacts pasted on the screen and a Call Ended note.

December 5… I can’t wait! Kyungsoo thought to himself as he fixed up his stuffs on his backpack.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 12:06 pm, Research Room

 

 

“Kyungsoo-ah! Drop that mouse already! It’s lunch break!” There was a nagging behind his earphones, just in time for him to hear after he dropped the volume of his music player. Kyungsoo carefully removed the transulcent white earbuds, placing them perfectly back to his earphone winder which, to his surprise, was abruptly taken away from him by a tall giant.

 

“Yah! Chanyeol hyung! Give it back!” Kyungsoo tried to reach for his abruptly stolen item, but the tall boy used his height to his advantage, raising his hands high up and away from Kyungsoo’s hard attempt of reaching it above raised toes. Chanyeol chuckled at the sight, as well as the marring frown on Kyungsoo face.

 

“Only if you grab your lunch and eat with me.” He offered, with no attempt of lowering the object held in captive.

 

“Alright, alright. But I need to check something first.” Kyungsoo sighed in defeat, reaching for his tablet which was sitting idly beside his laptop. No sound came from the said gadget, making Kyungsoo think for a bit.

No call from Jongin yet.

 

He usually ate his self-prepared lunch inside the design-research room so that he could enjoy the aircon even during the break. And since the room’s always almost deserted, having most of the office workers go out and eat at the cafeteria or the nearest restaurants from their college, Kyungsoo’s able to receive his most awaited call of the day (as well as any other calls made by the person named Kim Jongin) and talk to Jongin during lunch break without any distraction. But he knew well when his co-student assistant, Park Chanyeol, who’s currently a design student assistant for one of their professors and is Kyungsoo’s batchmate, started ranting out and asking him for something. The lanky giant never accepts no for an answer and Kyungsoo’s not up for a long debate that would probably eat up 2/3 of his precious lunch break. Leaning on the more advantageous option, he grabbed his pocket phone and tablet along with his lunch and followed Chanyeol to the college open grounds.

 

Chanyeol highly preferred eating at the small garden adjacent to their college building since it provides a more private environment, but not secluded enough, and they could enjoy the view and the comfortable silence while eating their mouth-watering lunch. But what makes him more excited was that he knew that Kyungsoo always prepares his own lunch M-W-F, and since today’s Friday, he’d never let the opportunity pass to taste his friend’s prestigious cooking.

Kyungsoo’s cooked lunch never fails to amaze him as always.

 

“Hyung! I haven’t even tried it yet! What if it doesn’t taste good?” Kyungsoo protested when Chanyeol discreetly grabbed a bite from his plate of spaghetti. The giant on the other hand started savouring the dish on his mouth, smiling contentedly as the taste started overpowering his tongue. So delicious.

 

“Your dishes never fail to impress me, Kyungie.” Chanyeol responded back as he swallowed the heavenly tasting food.

“Yeah right, and soon enough you’d started telling me that my dishes taste way better than your own mother’s cooking or any restaurants you’ve ever eaten before.” Kyungsoo snapped back jokingly as he tried his lunch, the red sauce shortly making a mess at the corners of his heart shaped lips.

Chanyeol chuckled as his finger reached towards the younger, effectively removing the sauce stain,   the sauce on his finger right after. Kyungsoo’s far used to his too-touchy gestures by now that actions like this doesn’t surpise him anymore, and he’d stopped way back when it comes to reprimanding his hyung about it since he’d never listen anyway. And he’d never stop either way.

 

“How did you know I’m about to say that?”

“Seriously, hyung?”

“Seriously.”

 

Kyungsoo stared back as the giant kept his eyes focused on him. And after a few seconds, the two of them started bursting out restrained chuckles, and in a matter of seconds, completely filling out the air with unending laughter.

 

“You must be kidding me hyung! Aunt’s dishes are way tastier than my own!” Kyungsoo was in a heaping mess from too much laughing.

“You’re right, you’re right. Sorry about that. Mom’s gonna kill me if she hears me say that.” Chanyeol was as bad as him, still curling up from too much laughing. “But seriously, Kyungie. Your dishes are really one of a kind. When did you start learning how to cook?” he asked as he fixed himself upright, dusting off the grass leaves that stuck to his white polo shirt.

 

“Hmm… I guess, back when I was 12? I had a certain reason back then. And it just became a habit soon enough. Or probably that I can’t find satisfaction on take-out meals at all.”

“12? That young? No wonder these tastes so so good now. You’ve had almost a decade of practice!” Chanyeol beamed as he took more bites from Kyungsoo’s spaghetti.

 

Kyungsoo smiled as he remembered an 11 year old Jongin clinging to him back then when they were the only two left behind at Jongin’s house. His parents were out for a weekend business trip, and since Kyungsoo was back at the province for a summer vacation, Mr. and Mrs. Kim were more than happy to have stay with Jongin at their house during the break. They knew very well that Jongin likes Kyungsoo’s company, seeing how the younger started behaving well (but still with occasional giddiness) when they mentioned that Kyungsoo’s living with them during those 2 months only if he acts like a good boy.

 

His focus drifted more on that time when Jongin woke him up in the middle of his sleep with a cute pout on his face, asking for Kyungsoo to cook something. The older’s eyes went wide, fully awake, since he never cooked before, and bad enough the cook hasn’t arrived yet that day since it was only quarter to five in the morning. Jongin rejected the option of bread, or junk foods for that matter, and pulled off the lines “My stomach hurts!” and “I’m hungry, hyung~~”, leaving the older with no choice but to stumble around the Kim’s black marble finished kitchen to look around and try to cooking something for hungry little Jongin.

 

Good thing that he always assisted his mother whenever she cooks their breakfast. Although he never tried cooking all by himself, he’d observed it more than a couple of times and the usual dishes his mother cooked where pretty much imprinted on his mind by now. Going with the simplest and safest option of omelette, Kyungsoo tried to mimic everything his mother did whenever she cooks the said dish, the steps clearly engraved on Kyungsoo’s young mind from non-stop observing every morning. He didn’t forget to remind Jongin to just stay at least a distance away from him since he didn’t want to accidentally hurt the younger while he ventures his way innocently within the kitchen.

 

After a few agonizing minutes of waiting, Kyungsoo successfully cooked off his first ever omelette breakfast, miraculously leaving the Kim's kitchen with partial stings from the cooking oil and a few not-so-deep knife scratches from dealing with the tomatoes. With the help of Jongin, they were able to get their plates and a pair of spoon and fork and headed back to Jongin’s bedroom.

 

Kyungsoo opted to try it first, but the younger shooed his hands away, saying that he should try it first. But despite the brattish attitude the younger exhibited, Kyungsoo will never forget how Jongin’s face lit up the moment he took the first bite of the experimental omelette; and that smile that started blossoming from his lips while launching on him for a sudden bear - tight hug, innocent kisses on the cheeks and non - stop praises of “It’s so delicious hyung!” effectively turning the older boy beet red from the sudden attention he’s gotten.

 

Since then Kyungsoo kept on improving his cooking, all for seeing that fond smile Jongin displays every time he eats his very own prepared meals.

 

 

Just then a familiar sound broke Kyungsoo away from his thoughts.

 

Since I met you, I liked you

The precious thing increased

Holding hand in the dusk

Happy rainbow…

This love song, love song…

 

Thousand years after…forever…

You are all my love…

 

 

Kyungsoo momentarily blushed before clicking the answer button, anticipating hearing that wonderful voice that never fails to make his day brighter than ever.

 

“Hi hyung…”

 

 

8 more days… just 8 more...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[December 2, 2013, Monday]

10:25 am, Classroom

 

 

“Oh God Baek, something’s really wrong with Kyungsoo.” Chanyeol groaned softly as he kept on tugging his bestfriend and seatmate’s shirt.

 

“What are you talking about Yeol?” Baekhyun whispered back, while stealing a short glance at their professor who was pretty much still in the middle of discussing their lesson for that day. He’s having a hard time following the lecture the moment Chanyeol started tugging his sleeves, so he decided to give the giant his full attention, albeit discreetly.

 

“Just look at him!” Chanyeol pointed out a 2 rows ahead of them, where a day-dreaming Do Kyungsoo sat quietly, head gently supported by his right hand, eyes staring off outside the classroom window, notes long forgotten on his study desk. A few sighs would once in a while escape his lips, yet shortly after will be traded with a goofy smile, which makes Baekhyun emit a soft chuckle.

 

“I swear Baek. He’s been like that since last Friday!” Chanyeol ranted out, hand ruffling his brown locks with much frustration. He noticed the change after they ate their lunch last week, to be precise, definitely after Kyungsoo received a call from someone he addressed as Jonginnie.

 

“There’s nothing to worry about Yeol. Kyungsoo’s fine. He’s probably just excited.” Baekhyun responded as he stood up and fixed his notes since the bell just rang and they need to change classrooms for their next class.

 

Chanyeol grabbed his wrist, stopping him from grabbing his black leather backpack. Baekhyun stared back at the giant, whose eyes are now filled with curiosity.

 

“You know something Baek, don’t you?”

Baekhyun smirked as he placed his hand above the younger, effectively removing it.

 

“Let’s just say Kyungsoo spilled something yesterday.” Baekhyun teased.

 

“What?‼ Kyungsoo told you something?‼! Seriously??‼ Tell me‼! Tell me‼!”

Baekhyun laughed as the giant shook him playfully non-stop. “Alright! Alright! Stop shaking me! I’m getting dizzy!”

Chanyeol stopped abruptly, but grinned in triumph. “So?”

 

 

 

“He’s meeting someone this Thursday. That’s what he said.” Baekhyun explained as he rushed off to their next class.

“Oh God! Our Kyungsoo’s having a visitor?! Why didn’t he tell me anything about t- YAH! WAIT FOR ME BYUN BAEKHYUN!” Chanyeol groaned once more as he run after a still laughing Baekhyun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

[December 3, 2013, Tuesday]

12:15 pm, College building

 

 

Kyungsoo’s been on the edge since morning. There hasn’t been one reply from all the messages he sent the younger since last night, and it wasn’t normal for the younger to let the day pass without even calling his favourite hyung. Kyungsoo felt a stab of pain in his chest while thinking that Jongin was probably too busy to grant him even a short reply. He kept looking at his phone even during his class, which, of course the professors noticed, earning him quite a number of reprimands and warnings for the rest of the morning.

 

It was now 15 minutes since lunch time started, but still no sign of any calls or messages.

 

Kyungsoo decided to skip eating lunch, since he doesn’t have any appetite to eat at all. Plugging up his earphones and playing his favourite playlist, Kyungsoo weaved his way outside the research room which was still filled with randomly shouting voices and flying papers – all cramming with the upcoming deadlines with the hope of finishing everything before next week.

 

There’s not much students loitering the building’s corridors so Kyungsoo took the luxury to walk slowly and appreciate the view around the campus garden. He was about to reach for his phone once more when it suddenly vibrated, and before the ringtone music even started to play, Kyungsoo has quickly answered the call.

 

“Hi hyung.”

 

“Kim Jongin.” Kyungsoo sharply replied, indifference filling his voice.

 

The younger gulped from the other line. He clearly knows it’s not good news when his hyung addresses him with his full name.

 

“I’m sorry hyung! It’s just t-“

“Are you in the vicinity now?”

“Y-yes. We’re at a restaurant right now for lunch.”

“I see.”

“H-hyung…”

“What is it?”

“Are you mad?”

“No.”

 

Jongin huffed, and Kyungsoo could clearly imagine him pouting from the other line. Good thing it was just a voice call. Kyungsoo’s not letting the younger off the hook that easily after making him that much worried.

 

“I’m sorry… for not calling immediately.”

“Ok.”

“Hyung…”

“…..”

 

After a few stalled seconds of quietness from both lines, Jongin broke the uncomfortable silence and started talking again.

 

“Have you eaten lunch?”

 

“It’s bad manners to do a phone call while eating.” Kyungsoo replied as he settled on an empty bench.

 

“I’ll take that as a no. Don’t skip lunch hyung. It’s bad for you.”

Kyungsoo was about to retort back when he heard a new voice from Jongin’s line.

 

 

“Jonginnie. Let’s go.”

 

 

Kyungsoo frowned and muttered a short, “I need to go. See you on the 5th.” before effectively cutting off the line, without even giving the younger a chance to say goodbye.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[December 4, 2013, Wednesday]

12:45 pm, Research Room

 

 

 

“You’re skipping lunch again?” Chanyeol asked as he approached Kyungsoo who was still immersed in front of his laptop, fingers typing like the speed of light.

 

Kyungsoo stopped shortly from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter