Timely as Ever

Pretexts and (Mis)Contexts

“What do you mean ‘steal Uee unnie from you’?”  Things were starting to take shape as the discussion was starting to heat up.  Just then, three people entered the kitchen.  Their arrival surprised everyone as it came unnoticed because the five people who were already in the dorm were so focused on the argument.

“Well, isn’t this just perfect?”  Gahee announced as she eyed Uee who was wearing a worried face.  “Kim Uee, come here and listen to what these two have to say.  You fill in the gaps, okay?”

“I don’t understand.  What’s going on here, unnie?”  This was one of the moments when Uee was very thankful for her being an actress.  She had to play innocent first.  Everything must go according to the plan for she did not want too much unwanted attention which would lead to too much questioning.  That could not do for what she was about to do.  But their appa did not seem very convinced though.  This made Uee gulp.

By the kitchen counter, Jooyeon strode closer to Raina and whispered in her ear.  When the former moved her head away, the latter nodded then grabbed their maknae’s hand and led her away.  Jooyeon did the same with Nana but before they went, she motioned for Jung ah to follow them.  The five went to the maknaes’ room and sat there in silence.  Jooyeon, however, went back to kitchen as per the request of her dongsaeng.  As she was nearing, she knew that matters were not coming together.  Finally, she reached it and found out that she was right for no one in there was speaking and not glaring at someone.

*flashback*

“What’s the problem Uee-yah?”

“Lizzy…”

“What?  What’d she do this time?  Aigoo~ that girl could really be playful Uee-yah, you just have to be patient with her.”

“Or you can play her own card on her unnie.  That’s what I usually do.  Jooyeon unnie taught me how.  I’m sure you can learn in no time if you start the lessons now.”  Uee did not fail to note the younger girl’s talkativeness.  She’s always excited whenever she’s with Jooyeon- Uee thought, albeit bitterly.

“Uee-yah~” and she snapped back to reality (and lost whatever it was she was thinking).  “Well, what did Lizzy do to you?  Do you want revenge?  We could easily arrange for that.”  Jooyeon said, playfully grinning.

“No.  She didn’t do anything.”  Uee waved her hand incessantly for she knew the grin her unnie was wearing – it was the grin of Jupal unnie.  “Well, she did do something.  But, not a prank or anything like that.”

“What did she do then?”

“She, uh, she kissed me.”  And her cheeks heated up again making her look down in embarrassment.  Because Uee’s eyes were transfixed on the floor, she failed to notice that Nana had her jaws dropped while Jooyeon kept on blinking twice every other second, both unable to say or do anything.  The silence made Uee gulp.

The silence made Uee gulp, so she had to break it for she could not stand it.  “I never meant for this to happen.  I was just trying to be a good unnie.  I’m really sorry.  But,” Uee could only shake her head (for she knew that at times, not saying anything was the best choice).

“I- I don’t understand, unnie.”  The devastation was obvious in Lizzy’s voice (and behaviour, for the girl could not add anything more to what she had already said).  E-young had to look down to hide the tears that she was fighting (failing, really) desperately to control.

In the corner, the lady who was standing earlier had vanished.  “Unnie, I think it’s time for us to go.”  Jooyeon whispered on Gahee’s ear.  The eldest woman was surprised by the sudden appearance but somehow, she did not flinch.  She turned to look at the younger woman and saw that look in her eyes.  She could only nod as she knew that this was their best choice.