Letter

Letter - Sunggyu
A different feeling hung in the air around you, a feeling like you didn’t belong here, like there wasn’t anything here for you anymore. With the summer almost over, you were walking from the ice cream shop that you worked at the for the last time. Things were changing and you were ready for most of the changes, but for some changes you weren’t ready for,

Being accepted into a study abroad program specialized for your dream major, there was no way that you were going to turn this opportunity down. So you accepted, within a week you had turned in your resignation letter and told them your reasons, they were happy for you but you knew one person that wouldn’t be so happy that you were leaving, your boyfriend, Sunggyu.

Even though you had talked to Sunggyu about the possibility of you leaving to this program, you didn’t think that you would have to tell him that he couldn’t see you for months. But with the idea presented to Sunggyu, he wanted you to go, he wanted you to fulfill your dreams and for you to have fun and enjoy life.

However, you were accepted and you were going to leave tomorrow, sighing, you walked back home slowly. Trying to ingrain all of the wonderful memories with all of the sights and sounds into your mind, you wanted to remember when Sunggyu and you ran through the sprinklers in the park, the midnight strolls, the serious and not so serious conversations. You wanted to remember the good and bad for it was what made you who you are, but you didn’t want Sunggyu to forget about you especially when you left.

With your mind weighted down with heavy thoughts, your feet went into auto pilot mode and got you home safely. Unlocking your door, you walked inside, changing your shoes and hanging up your bag you sat on the couch and just closed your eyes.

Minutes passed too quickly and soon it was already dusk, but when you opened your eyes you saw all of your belongings int boxes, carefully labeled and taped up. Slowly you got up and went to your bedroom, packing up the rest of your belongings. Placing book after book into a box, you flipped through your year books and all of the letters that you had kept from various people.

You had managed to keep your emotions in check up until you got to a photo album filled with pictures of Sunggyu and you. Sitting on the floor, you took a break to relax your legs, but tears soon started to pool in your eyes when you saw the little notes, pictures, silly gestures and memories that were held between the covers.

Knowing that you couldn’t put this off for too much longer, you grabbed a notebook and a pen. You started to write down your thoughts while tears ran down your cheeks uncontrollably. Thinking that this was better than telling him in person, you wiped away your tears as you finished writing a little letter to Sunggyu.

Folding it carefully, you placed it in an envelope and labeled the front To my dearest Sunggyu. Placing a sticker on the flap of the envelope, you gently kissed it before you set it aside.

The dark clouds rumbled across the sky as a drizzling rain covered the city. Waking from your alarm, you changed into your clothes that you set out last night. Packing up the few remaining things, the movers came, grabbing your boxes and everything else from your apartment, you stayed behind with a backpack over your shoulders.

Looking around the empty apartment, you pulled Sunggyu’s letter out and held it over your chest as you took a few breaths. Taking a final look through, you made sure that you had everything before you closed the door never to look back.

Slowly, you headed over to the Infinite dorm. Climbing the stairs, you knew that it would be the last time in months that you would get to see him. A tightening sensation in your chest made it hard to breathe, but you just tried to remind yourself that you would see him again in a few days to keep your mind off of the major event.

Once you reached their floor, your pace slowed even more before you arrived at their door. Raising your hand, you carefully knocked on their door while your fingers ran over the edge of the letter.

The door opened to one of the many faces of Infinite.

"Hey, _______." Myungsoo smiled and let you inside.

"Hello" You bowed to him and stepped inside.

"Wow, you are over here early." Woohyun remarked while he tried to make breakfast for s.

"Yeah, I have some things to do today but I wanted to see Sunggyu, if I could." You asked softly.

"Sure! I’ll go get him for you!" Sungyeol happily jumped up from the couch, he ran over to the bedroom door.

Sunggyu came out with him a few minutes later, already dressed for the day. Once Sunggyu saw you he smiled and trotted over to you, trying hard to keep your tears at bay, the members moved to the opposite side of the room giving you two some privacy.

"Can I see you outside for a moment?" You asked him, he nodded and slid his hand into yours. Opening the front door again, you two moved to the hall, closing the door behind the two of you. Sunggyu and you stood in the hall facing each other.

"What’s wrong?" Sunggyu questioned you, studying your face, seeing your puffy red eyes and your closed body language. Reaching out, he gently rubbed your arm with his hand.

"I-I just wanted to see you, and to give you this." You looked at him in the eyes, holding out the envelope, he took it from your grasp.

"What’s this?" He asked looking at the note in his hand.

"I got accepted to study abroad and I have to leave in a few minutes to catch my plane, but… I don’t want us to end." Your voice started to shake and crack. Sunggyu slid your letter into his back pocket and pulled you into a tight hug.

"Go have fun okay, don’t worry about me, I will wait for you to come back. Then we can have a ton of fun." He tells you, letting his own eyes get misty with emotion. Wrapping your arms around him, you let your tears flow into his shoulder.

"I’m going to miss you." You whispered while holding him tightly.

"I’ll miss you too, but we can call and face time and everything okay? You are going to get sick of me calling you." Sunggyu said trying to lighten the mood. Pulling away from the hug slightly, he brushed some hair behind your ear.

You pulled away from the hug and looked up at him for what seemed to be the last time. His thumbs gently moved across your cheeks, wiping away your tears that had fallen.

"Go have fun, I’ll wait for you. I’m not going to go anywhere," He smiled and kissed your cheek gently. Nodding your head, you gently wrapped your hand around the back of his neck, pulling his lips to yours.

The two of you shared a bitter sweet goodbye kiss. With tears leaving both of your eyes and his, he smiled once you two pulled away unwillingly.

"I don’t want you to be late for your flight." Sunggyu whispered, nodding solemnly you looked into his chocolate eyes, wanting to remember them forever.

"Bye." Your voice was barely audible. Sunggyu nodded, you walked past him and down the hall, once you got to the stairs, you turned back. Seeing him by the door, he body was facing yours and he waved at you, waving back you held a sad smile on your face before you headed down the stairs.

Sunggyu watched you until he couldn’t see you anymore. Tears ran down his face as well, but he pulled out the letter that you left with him, seeing your handwriting just made him miss you too much already. Glancing over his shoulder, he debated to go and run after you but he knew that this was something that you wanted to do.

Heading back inside, Sunggyu closed the door behind him and determinedly walked to his bedroom.

A taxi waited outside for you to take you to the airport, you slid into your seat, placing your backpack on your lap, you buckled your seat belt and looked out the window.

Water droplets raced down the window as your eyes watched them carefully. Pooling at the bottom of the window, you let out a heavy sigh and closed your eyes.

The car slowed and stopped in front of the doors to the terminal, you unbuckled yourself, paid the driver and got out of the car. Putting the backpack onto your shoulders, you walked into the terminal and found your flight.

Sunggyu looked at your letter for hours, finally getting the courage to open the letter, he gently pulled out the handwritten letter. Unfolding them in his hands, his eyes moved from left to right reading your letter.

Dear Sunggyu,
Thank you for persuading me to follow my dreams like you had done. I know you say that with a great dream comes great sacrifice and I guess being close to you and spending my time with you is one of the greatest sacrifices that I have to give up for my dream. I don’t want to break up with you, I want to make a long distance relationship work. I love you and nothing will change that. Distance can’t keep me away from you, I love you so much. The next sheet is my schedule so that you can call me when I am not in class. Thank you for everything Kim Sunggyu, I will miss seeing you.
XOXOXOX,
_________
P.S. See you in six months

Arriving at your destination, you got off of the plane and walked through the terminal. Hailing a taxi, you gave him directions to your dorm and you looked out seeing all of the different and new surroundings.

Turning on your phone from the flight, you pulled up Sunggyu’s contact and typed a little message, but you deleted it letter by letter.

The dark and lonely night surrounded you in your sea of boxes as you tried to unpack your clothes, bedding, laptop, books and other things that you can’t live without. A soft light from your standing lamp filled the room before your laptop chirped.

Lifting your laptop onto your lap, you agreed the web chat and smiled seeing who it was from.

"Hey _______!" Sunggyu happily called waving his hand so fast that it looked blurry on your side of the screen.

"Hey Gyugyu!" You smiled waving back just as quickly.

"Is that your new place?" Sunggyu asked looking around your screen trying to see it.

"Yeah, do you want a tour?" You offered seeing how excited he is.

"I’d love to!" He beamed as you stood up and walked around your dorm showing him where everything was.

"Your place is really nice" Sunggyu smiled once you ended the tour and sat on your bed.

"It is, but it is too far from you." You pouted.

"I know but when I come on tour, I might could see your place in person!" Sunggyu tried to lighten the mood.

"Only if you members would let you." You retorted.

"Don’t worry, they can sleep at your place too, it looks like you have a lot of room." He smiled while moving onto his stomach.

"Ah I see, so we would all sleep in the living room?" You questioned feeling a little less lonely.

"No they would sleep in the living room and we would sleep in your room. Me on the floor of course." Sunggyu added, you blushed and covered your mouth.

"So how was your day?" You changed the subject not wanting to blush too much at the thought.

"Pretty good, the members made me angry, we sang and Hoya and Dongwoo worked on their album together, then we danced and I can’t get this one dance just right but I asked Dongwoo and Hoya to help me tomorrow, so hopefully I will get it right." Sunggyu reported.

"Is there anything funny that they did today?" You asked feeling like you were in your old place.

"Dongwoo put pretzel sticks under his lip and pretended that he was a walrus, then Hoya couldn’t use chopsticks today because his muscles were so tight from working out. It was really funny to watch. Sungyeol tripped over Sungjong and scared the choreographer too." Sunggyu told you as you smiled, happily listening to his day.

The night wore on and the two of you talked about a lot of different things but you were just happy to have him as your boyfriend. Hours passed as the two of you started to yawn and rub your eyes.

"Should we end the call, both of us are already falling asleep." You asked yawning in the middle of your words.

"No, I want to still see you for a while more." Sunggyu rubbed his eyes.

"Mhmmmm, me too." You mumbled as you grabbed a blanket and placed it between your arms and rested your head on it.

"I love you" Sunggyu whispered before he made a kiss noise.

"I love you too." You whispered before making a kissing noise back.

Before the two of you could do anything else, you both fell asleep in front of each other. Sleeping peacefully like the two of you used to do when you watched a movie. But knowing that the other person was closer than you thought was the best comfort that you ever could have wished for.