Final

A Day in the Life of a Teenager

I look at the time at the bottom right corner of the LED screen in front of my face. It’s only 4:48 in the morning. It’s not even five yet. Just a few more reblogs, I think to myself. I’m currently trying to fill my queue for my Tumblr blog. I have school in about two hours and I won’t be able to blog from my laptop for eight hours. Thank the lord for smart phones and mobile internet!

“Okay, if I sleep now, I can get one and a half hours of sleep,” I say to the quiet, dark room. I close my laptop and the already dark room goes pitch black. Then I proceed to fumble for my phone. “Let me get this goodnight tweet out.”

I look at the time on the upper right corner of the LED screen in front of my face. 5:29 AM. I’m almost done backtracking my Instagram feed. Two minutes pass before I finally put my phone on the night stand next to my bed. I close my eyes and peace surrounds me. Soon, I feel myself slipping into a dreamful state of mind. I can feel an amazing dream coming. Maybe I’ll be rich. Maybe I’ll get a car. Maybe I’ll get a MacBook Air. Maybe I’ll finally get higher than a 12 on Flappy Birds. Maybe-

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

-But no. My alarm to wake up almost scares the morning pee out. Instinctively, I slide the screen to shut it up. Then almost instantly, I close my eyes again and fall unconscious. Not even three minutes later, the same heart-stopping sound beeps in my ear with the screen reading “I TOLD YOU TO WAKE UP 2 MINS AGO”. I swipe the screen to silence it and fall asleep again. This cycle goes on eight more times with different alarm names ranging from “WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP” to “NOW YOU’LL SMELL LIKE SWEATY POOP BECAUSE YOU CAN’T SHOWER”.

I finally wake up and stay awake at 6:29 AM. Frantically, I run around my small apartment trying to get ready in time to catch the school bus at 6:40 AM. With my toothbrush in my mouth, I jump into my skinny jeans.

“Oh God. Look at this bird nest I have to call my hair,” I say to my reflection. “Looks like a messy bun kind of day to me.”

Running towards the front door, I look at the LED screen for the time. 6:38. Oh wow, a new record, I mentally note to myself. I throw on my jacket and backpack and I grab my phone, earphones, and keys and rush out the door with no breakfast.

Quickly walking to the bus stop, I text my friend who rides the same bus, “If the bus driver gets here before me, tell her to wait!” Less than a minute later, I receive an ‘Ok’ and a smiling emoji.

Once I’m on the bus, I take a seat to one of my few friends and let out a huge sigh. The school day consists of nothing but lectures and boredom. I seldom talk to any of these peasants that I have to call my peers. Everyone annoys me. Their voices when chattering about after school plans causes a frustrated sigh to come out of me. Why should I have to listen to you going to the mall with your gang of idiots? I never go to the mall with friends; mainly because I don’t have many friends. But that’s beside the point.

Swiftly, I plug in my earphones and put my playlist on shuffle. I feel a tap on my shoulder. “Hey,” a classmate says to me. “You want to tag along with us to the mall?”

Who does this guy think he is? I don’t know him. He doesn’t know me. If he is not worthy of my Tumblr URL, he is not worthy of me “tagging along” with him and the rest of the peasants.

“No thanks,” I reply quietly. “I… have to study.”

The rest of the day was completely uneventful. I just quietly did my class work while listening to music and scrolling through various social media feeds. From time to time, I’ll answer a question when called on. If I’m in a friendly mood, I’ll tightly smile at a funny joke. However, I mentally note how many notes I could get putting the joke on Tumblr.

Finally, the clock reaches 2 PM and I’m free. I navigate through the sea of untrained animals. Peasants, peasants everywhere riddling my halls, I think to myself. I only feel comfortable once again when I’m home underneath my blankets with the bottom of my laptop warming my thighs. I hear my stomach growl. I get up and grab an armful of snacks and return to my beloved computer. Seven hours pass and I’m still in the same position. I was too engrossed in my activities online that I forgot to get up to use the bathroom. I only remember when I’m about to burst. While I’m up, I get dinner as well.

“Whoa,” I momentarily stop in my tracks when walking back to my laptop. “Did I have homework?” Looking at the LED screen, I see it’s passed 9 o’clock.

“Hey,” my mom calls out from the other room. “It’s getting late! Get ready to go to sleep.” I sulk and mumble incoherent sounds in response.

“I HEARD THAT!”

“HOW?! I mean- I DIDN’T SAY ANYTHING!”

Briskly, I bring my electronics and dinner into my room. I plan on just finishing what I’m doing and heading to bed early because I really didn’t want to wake up late again. But who am I kidding? I sit on my bed, tweeting and retweeting to my online friends located across the globe. The thought of homework completely slips my mind. I look at the bottom right corner of the LED screen in front of my face. 4:17 AM.

Let the cycle begin again.