(V, JM) Two Sortings, and a Friendship Forged

clap twice

The summer after Taehyung's eleventh birthday, there's a letter addressed to "Mr. Taehyung Kim" in the post, written on weighty parchment paper. It's the sort of paper one expects for old-fashioned, important documents, Taehyung thinks when he's shown it, except this one's for him. Well, of course, he is a pretty important person after all. His dad always says so.

The letter is strange enough, and its contents curious enough, that his parents think it's an elaborate joke by one of Taehyung's schoolmates. So when Taehyung asks to have it, it gets passed to him with little thought, and then it's out of sight, out of mind.

Except that Taehyung writes back, with careful block print, that yes, he'd like a teacher to come and tell him more, please, and the next weekend, there's a witch at their door, and that's that.

In truth, after the disbelief, there's a little part of Taehyung's parents that is relieved to have an explanation concerning their eldest child. An explanation for every moment of oddity he's been involved in that they've come across. For him talking to thin air even at age eleven, for finding him in strange places Taehyung by all rights shouldn't be able to reach. They tell Professor McGonagall as much.

(If Professor McGonagall were to talk with the Kims again, after a year of dealing with Taehyung, she would like to tell them one thing - there was only so much magic could explain, and it, well, didn't quite cover Taehyung.)

Once it's decided he's going, Taehyung asks a lot of questions about Hogwarts. Then, he ruminates. And then, finally, when he's called during the Sorting Ceremony, he approaches the Hat with only one thing in mind.

Which is how his Sorting ends up going like this:

"Hmmm, curious, curious. I can see the makings of a Ravenclaw in you--"
"Gryffindor."
"Oh?"
"That's the lion. So Gryffindor."
"Really, you'd make a splendid Ravencl--"
"Gryffindor."
"Ravenclaw would be quite a good fit, you know?"
"Gryffindor."
"Really, all these children thinking they know best these days. Very well, then."

Gryffindor!

Taehyung gives a little nod to himself as he pushes off the stool. He sees his new Housemates waving at him, the Gryffindor lion heralding him from the banner above. As it should be, he thinks. As it should be.

++++++

He's going to be Sorted!

Jimin bounces a little from his place in line. It earns him not a few dirty looks, but he's not exactly vertically blessed, and he can't help wanting to see. He's heard all about the Sorting Ceremony from his mum since his magic manifested - that, and dozens of other stories about Hogwarts - and now it's his turn.

Jimin is practically vibrating as the names being called get closer and closer to his.

"C'mon, c'monnnnn."

And then, "Park, Jimin!"

"Yes!" Startled out of him as his waiting suddenly comes to an end. His hand shoots upward, automatic reaction. "That's me!" he says. It comes out far louder than Jimin intends.

It's a sheepish Jimin that makes his way to the Sorting Hat amidst scattered laughter.

"Well, well. You'd certainly be suited to Hufflepuff," the Sorting Hat says, as soon as Jimin drops it atop his head. It's so large it falls past his ears and over his eyes. Jimin blinks into the sudden darkness. "You've the qualities that define the House, and you'd do well there."

Hufflepuff. Hard work and loyalty. That's nice, Jimin thinks, and waits for the Hat to declare his Sorting. It doesn't.

"But I see great potential for you elsewhere," it continues instead, "and it's Gryffindor's values you admire most. Due to no small influence on your mother's part, I don't doubt." Jimin's eyes widen, and he clutches at the stool he's sitting on. The Sorting Hat can even tell that? That's so cool. The Hat chuckles in response to that thought. "Thank you. A Hat feels unappreciated sometimes, you know?" And now, if Jimin's eyes could get any wider, they probably would have fallen out of his head. "But ah, this is not about me, it's about you. And in the end, the House for you is...

...Gryffindor!"

It only takes a little bit of prompting before Jimin remembers to scramble over to his new House.

++++++

The newly-minted Gryffindor, Taehyung notes, is making a beeline straight for him.

Oh, this... Jimin, isn't it? is beaming at everyone as he trots on, but it's obvious he has a destination in mind. Jimin hasn't actually looked away from where Taehyung is sitting in all the time Taehyung has been watching him, and Taehyung is only further affirmed when they make eye contact and Jimin points at Taehyung's spot with a tilt of the head, still smiling.

Curious as to what Jimin is up to, Taehyung scoots over, and watches as Jimin speeds up to nearly a jog to plop down into the newly-opened space. All of a sudden, Taehyung has an arm slung around his shoulders and giggles in his ear, and he almost giggles back reactively.

He does blink at the familiarity. But then, he decides, why not? His gut gives him a good feeling about Jimin, so Taehyung throws an arm of his own back with enough strength they nearly both topple out of their seats. "Yeah. Okay."

"All right! So. Hi. I'm Jimin. You're Taehyung, right?"

"Yeah," Taehyung says. And then, after a pause, when all Jimin does is continue to grin at him. "What do you want?"

Jimin flushes. "Oh, yeah. Wait, how'd you know I wante--" As if realising how stupid the question is, Jimin cuts himself off. "Ah, never mind. Um... Your hair, it was black on the train, right?"

Taehyung nods. He idly wonders when Jimin had seen him; Taehyung certainly hadn't noticed Jimin. But most of his focus is still on the Sortings going on. Ravenclaw, Slytherin... he silently echoes the Sorting Hat, every time a decision is made. Another Gryffindor. He begins clapping madly again.

When he stops, he realises that, ah. Jimin's giving him an expectant look that's growing more indignant by the moment. He probably should have been paying more attention.

"What were you saying?"

That gets Taehyung a huff and an exaggerated pout. "I was saying. What spell'd you use to get your hair like that? How'd you do it without anyone seeing? It was still black after you got off the train, I'm sure of it. I'd have noticed, you know. I thought we weren't allowed to use magic outside the school?" And then, "Hey," because he's looked away from Jimin again. "Are you not listening again?"

"I didn't use a spell," is the only thing Taehyung bothers to reply with. Jimin's interest in his hair is strange - he'd only turned it tawny brown, like a lion's - but Taehyung is beginning to think Jimin is just strange in general.

Especially when, to Taehyung's confusion, that just sends Jimin into an even greater fit of excitement. "You're a Metamorphmagus?"

Taehyung narrows his eyes at Jimin. "What's that?"

"Shouldn't you know?"

Taehyung's not even listening to the Sortings any more, too irritated by this line of questioning to bother. "No."

"But your mom an' dad should've taught you!" Which doesn't answer his question at all.

"Is this a magic thing?"

Curiously enough, that manages to stop Jimin in his tracks.

"...Um. By any chance, you're not the first person in your family to have magic, are you?"

"Yes."

A long pause. Then, "I didn't know Muggleborns could be Metamorphmagi."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Taehyung says. Would scowling make Jimin suddenly make sense? Taehyung would like to know.

Taehyung's just flashed a blinding grin though. "Don't worry! I don't think I really get it either, but I'll help you figure it out! Because I'm Jimin Park, and Jimin Park doesn't abandon his friends in need."

Huh, Taehyung thinks, as he shakes the hand Jimin offers him, listens to Jimin prattle on about everything they could look into. He'd been right to go with his gut feeling.

Friends. Yeah, that sounds nice.


a/n: FIRST OF ALL. Credit goes to this awesome person for the whole Metamorphmagus!Taehyung idea, and much thanks to her for letting me use it. Um. Abrupt ending was abrupt, but it was starting to drag on and I couldn't think of a better way to stop it? Ahaha apologies for that. Also, please point out if I've made any errors regarding HP canon; I've tried to make sure I got the details correct, but I wouldn't be surprised if I accidentally messed something up.

Most of all, though, thank you for reading this! and I hope I'll have more stuff done for this 'verse soon. Umum, please comment with your thoughts, if you don't mind? m(_ _)m