Shallow

Shallow

I remember a fight, the screaming hurting my ears. The tears falling from my face. I remember the night sky that lurked from the outside the window. I remember the last time I saw my mom…

           

            “You’re going to be late U, I told you to set your alarm clock at 6:00.” her father says loading the truck with her belongings. “I’m sorry dad, I over slept.” She quickly jumped into the front seat of the truck and buckled her seat belt. “I understand you’re tired of going to new schools, but we needed to start fresh.” He says gripping the steering wheel tightly. U says nothing, but in her mind a million thoughts raced. Who will I sit with at lunch? How will I do in classes? Will they even like me? Will I be teased at this school too? She closes her eyes and sits back. “Dad, do you think they will tease me?” He loosens his grip on the wheel and smiles. “They have no reason to, you’re a beautiful girl.” U wasn’t your average looking girl. She had thin fine black hair, green eyes that would make anyone feel guilty. Her mocha skin that was flawless made others question her looks. She was average size and had blue and pink braces. Not to mention she was short, and very athletic.

“Walk into the school with confidence like a bull.” “A bull?” She says with a puzzled look. “Yes, a bull.” Her heart began to thump heavily in her chest as the approached the school grounds. Think like a bull, she says picking her backpack up from the ground of the car. The car comes to a complete stop in front of the school. GrateWood High school. “I love you dad, I hope you know I’m only doing this for you.” He nods and kisses her on the cheek. “Have a great day Sweetheart.” She steps out the car and closes the door gently. Her father always hated when her older brother Ryan slammed the door. The car pulls off and there U stood. Watching her father drive away along the dirt road. She turns around slowly and gazes at the front doors of the school.

She takes a deep breath and walks up the stairs counting her steps in her head. Which door is room 115? She walks down the hall turning her head from left to right. Seeing students look up from their work and stare at her. There, the last room on the left she sees the classroom 115. She opens the door and eyes quickly turned to her. “Miss.Bandson” the teacher says “You’re late.” U says nothing and stands by the teacher. “Class this is U Bandson she has transferred here from Kansas.” Whispering filled the room. “Quiet now!” She yells. The room goes silent, enough to hear a pen drop. The teacher slowly point to a desk in the middle of the classroom. “You will sit there, open your book to page 347.” She walks in the aisle of teenagers who haven’t taken their eyes off her yet. She opens her book and waits. “Well what are you waiting for Brandon? Read.”

Her frustration shown on her face. The boy Brandon hesitated then began to read. The whole class period was a blur to U. She had learned to ignore things she didn’t care for. Which was everything. The bell ranged and she quickly gathered her backpack. She swiftly walked out the classroom. “Hey U!” U turns back, sunlight from the doors hit her eyes perfectly. She squints slightly surprised someone knew her name. “Yes?” It was the boy Brandon who had read in class. “So you’re new here?” He says slowly approaching her. “Yep. Why?” The boy becoming defensive says, “I was just asking, it’s not every day you get someone from Kansas here.” She gives a half smile and moves her finger as if playing a piano. The boy smiles back, and relaxes. “You’re a shy one aren’t you?” She nods slowly and turns around beginning to walk. “Well I’m Brandon.” He extends his hand. U looks at the hand stretched out in front of her. She grasps his hand feeling the softness of it. She was slightly jealous the fact his hands were softer than hers. “U” she says shaking the hand up and down. She pulled away and looks at her schedule she got from her pocket. Math. Brandon tilts his head over and glances at the paper. “Seems you have every classes with me but Art.” Reyna looks up in dismay. “Really?” He chuckles, and his smile comes to an end. “Is that a bad thing? I thought we were becoming good friends.”

The music began to play in the hallways and U looks up. “Don’t worry they play music when you have 10 minutes to get to class. Luckily our class is over there around the corner.” U looks at the direction he points and began to head that way. “You really don’t talk much.” Reyna smiles. “I have nothing to say, that’s all.” He opens the door and allows U to walk in first. She thought guys her age never opened doors for girls, or pulled out seats for them. She walks in and takes the first seat she sees available in the back of the class. Brandon takes the seat right across from her. “Are you going to follow me around the entire day?” She says with frustration. “Nah, I just think you’re pretty and I’m obsessed with you.” U’s face went serious. What a creeper. “I’m just kidding.” He slowly turns, correctly in his seat as the teacher walks in.  “Good morning class.” Good morning Mr. Chung-Ho. The class in unison says back. Mr. Chung-Ho’s eyes land on Reyna. “Seems we have a new student.” U nods slowly. Brandon glances to U to see her reaction to being called out. “If we are given the equation y=2x +b, what is the slope?” he says. He looks across the room seeing no hands. “Usagi.” She deeply sighs and says “2 the slope is two.” Correct! U shuts her eyes and listens to the lesson. “Psst” her eyes open instantly. She leans into the aisle to Brandon. “Here take this.” In his hand he held a crumpled piece of paper. She took the paper from his hand while watching the teacher. She opens the note slowly so she won’t disturb the class. She was very good at being quiet almost like not existing.

What are you doing after school? She looked at the note several times. Looking back up at Mr. Ring she raises her hand to answer the question. “The answer is zero.” “Good job Miss. Bandson.” She tilts her head towards Brandon and mouths “Nothing.” He gives her a thumbs up. For the rest of the class period Reyna sketched in her math book. “U has a very sharp eye for perfection.” Her art teacher Mrs. Willis told her father. She never knew what to draw. She just let her hand guide the pencil. Ring. “Come on U lunch time.” Brandon grabs her book bag and begins to walk down the hallway. “This school is boring.” She says counting her steps again. “Yea I know.” Coming down the hall where two upper classmen girls. Juniors or seniors maybe. They looked very pale compared to the rest and had laminating hazel eyes that seems to grab at anyone’s souls. “U” Brandon says with worriedness. U felt weird around those girls almost like danger followed them around. “Okay.” She says grabbing a tray from the entrance. She grabs her milk and places it on her tray. “Hamburger or Hot Dog?” mumbled the old lunch lady holding both in her hand. “Hamburger please.” The lady places the hamburger on her tray with a hand full of French fries. Which didn’t look very appealing at all. She goes to purchase her food and glances out the window spotting the two girls from before. Something about them doesn’t seem right.     

“Next” U gathers her thoughts, steps forward and purchases the food. She walks into a half empty cafeteria. Where should I sit...? She squeezes her tray beginning to worry. “Over here” waves Brandon sitting at a table in the back filled with four other guys. U walks to the table and places her tray next to Brandon’s. “You guys this is U, she is new here. By the way I call dibs. The boys looked at her with an awe look. “We can tell.” Says the blonde boy. U hadn’t noticed him beside her until then. She glances over at him and froze in thought. Something about him made her heart pound, not with love but with fear. She sat down and listened to the conversation. “You major at Call of Duty.” The blonde boy says. Brandon laughs and looks at U. “Shy again?” Interrupted by the gingered hair boy “No reason to be shy. I promise I don’t bite.” “I do.” Added the blonde boy. U smirked. “Don’t worry I can fix that problem permanently.” She looked the blonde boy in his eyes. His face went with no emotion. Which left U curious. “Well…” adds Brandon attempting to break the awkward silence filling the table.

U takes two bites but loses her apatite to eat. Brandon eats the French fries off her tray and smiles. “Fatty” she says hoping to hurt his feelings. “Oh really?” He lifts his shirt up and shows his abs. U blushes and counts them in her head. Six. He has six of them. “So shut up cutie pie.” He says letting his shirt fall back down into place. I wonder how dad is doing. She thinks of her dad in an all-black suit. Then of her mother. Without knowing it thirty minutes pass. “I’m going home.” U says tying her shoes. “Wait, why? It’s only half of the day.” She looks back up to see Brandon’s puzzled face. “You’re just like Noel.” He says looking at the blonde boy. Noel still with an emotionless face nods. “I guess.” She slightly whispers. “Bye Brandon.” She hugs him from behind and could smell his cheap cologne he wore. But she found it pleasing however. She hurries to exist and runs home. “She is the fastest we’ve ever seen.” Says the stranger looking at me while in front of my father. “She is our last hope. Our last hope for peace.” U wasn’t allowed to compete according to her father.

“You are special, they just can’t accept the uniqueness you hold within.” She didn’t understand what he meant she was only four. But since she was 2 years old she has been training. She never knew what for. All she knew was that she had to learn combat, and how to hold her breath for longer than 20 minutes. She had to learn how to survive in harsh weather. How to be invisible. Help! U stops instantly looking around. Sounded like it came from the woods she thought stepping closer. She moves a few branches from hitting her face walking slightly deeper into the woods. And comes to a complete stop to a river. Across the river she sees the two girls.           

“Well. Well. Well. Look what we got here.” Says the tall slender one tapping her finger gently on her cheek. “We got us a legendary one.” Says the other rolling and rubbing her neck. “What do you mean?” U steps closer. “Don’t pretend you don’t know.” Says the slender one slightly yelling. “We know who you are. U Shane Bandson. Daughter of Carter Man Bandson. Only the best legend killer alive.” U steps back. “How do you know me?” They laughed and U noticed their eyes turned a neon blue color. It was beautiful but scary. “Ja I don’t wanna talk to her anymore can we just kill her already?” says the shorter one taking her jacket off. “Yes.” Says Ja. U looks up and sees the sky turning red. They began to change. Their hair went from black to silver that reflect the heavens light so beautifully. Their nails grew extreme long dangling from their hands sharper than anything U has seen. “Come here legendary one” Yells Ja breaking out into a full head on sprint towards U. U begins to run out of the woods and into the street hoping that the sight of others would stop them. Which it did. She began to cry and run faster than ever home not needing to catch a breath of what she has just witnessed.  

What the was that. She kept replaying the nails growing and the sky turning red. She looked up losing her balance a little and sees the sky turning blue once again. She sees her house and cuts through the grass. She spots her father washing the truck and grabs him by the waist. “Dad! I saw I don’t know but they were scary the called me the legendary one.” He dropped the water hose and picked her up. He looked around to see if anyone was around and went inside.    

“U did these girls have silver hair?” She nods in shock. “Long nails, very sharp?” She tears up and says yes. They found us. Her father runs up the stairs and returns within two minutes holding two bags. “Where are we going U says sitting up on the couch. He drops the bags and throws her a coat. “LKO.” Her confusion growing great onto her face. “I’ll explain later” he says grabbing her hand and the bags with the other. He rushed out the door and packed the truck. U ran to the car and slammed the door. Her dad stopped and looked at U with frustration. “Why slam my door? You know I hate that.” She was pissed. “Dad if you don’t take me to LKO I swear.”            

He got into the truck and said “Legendary one and two.” U looked at the dashboard of the truck and saw it began to change. “Welcome back legendary ones.” Said the lady looking at both her father then U. “Does she know?” says the lady looking. Her father shakes his head no. The blonde hair green eye lady smiled. I’ll explain when you get here. “They tried to attack U he says.” Grabbing the wheel to the point you can see the veins in his hands pop out. U for the rest of the car ride said nothing to her father. She didn’t know what to say. He has been keeping a secret all this time. They arrive at an abandoned school. “U a lot of people will be talking to you.” U ignores him and gets out the car. He grabs the bags and walks into the school. U by his side waits for someone to come forward. Instead the floor drops startled she grabs her dads hand. “Welcome” says the blonde lady “To LKO.” U began to look around seeing teens in combat, people marching in suits. All the glass walls made no privacy it seemed. Woah. U was impressed with the hide out. Her father steps forward with teens coming to him with papers. “U, go with her she will explain everything.” Her father says grabbing the papers. She follows behind the blonde lady closely behind, looking side to side to each room where some type of training was happening. “Jake, take a deeper breath and blow the fire.” Says the man in the right window. Jake blows and the enormous flame went to rest. He glances at U and becomes shocked. “Eyes forward.” Said the blonde lady still walking. Her heels still clicking against the floor. She opens a door and does an invitational sigh. “This is your room.” U walks in and looks at the room all around. It was stunning she thought. Looking at the blue covers on the bed. The black curtains that hung from the fake window. The long dresser with a mirror in the middle to her right side. “Take a seat, I have to explain.” The lady says sitting in a chair by the door. U sits on the bed and crosses her legs. I can get use to this. “LKO means legend killer organization. I Julia organized this group after my family was killed by Timanians.” U looks forward still confused. It still didn’t explain everything else she thought. “Those two girls you saw in the woods were Vares. A cross breed of a Timanian and a human.” The lady stops talking and smiles. “Are you still up with what I’ve told you so far?” Reyna nods still thinking about the two girls. “You and your father are called legendary ones. Your kind is the only ones who aren’t affected by the powers of the legends.” She gets up and walks towards U sitting by her. “You mother was our number killer.” She says rubbing U back. U says nothing and begins to tear up. “She was taken by the legends leader Zorkes, we have been fighting to get her back day and night.” U looks up and yells. “So my dad knew she was alive all this time! Why hasn’t he saved her, why did he never tell me I’ll save her?” U tries to sprint out the door but pulled back by Julia. “Please relax, he acted the same way, which is why he is hurt.” U looked back in dismay. “Hurt, my father isn’t hurt.” She says losing strength in her arms. She always thought of her dad as being indestructible, but to know he was hurt. It through U’s mind off the edge. She sat down with her arms over her knee caps. “What do I have to save my mom?” She asked. Her voice frightened Julia, she never heard so much dedication in someone before. “Become the indestructible one, become legendary.”