| Neon Lights

Linear

-

A time limit was placed over him, forcibly, but it failed to do anything.

Yet it had already been their second year and they acted as before, nothing had changed as they sat by one another, it was apparent that it obviously didn't happen.

He had plenty of opportunities to try, considering Henry was always alone with him without anyone around. He never realized that his nerves would get in the way.

He was sure he could hear Shindong's voice haunt him in his mind, telling him that he was a coward. Kyuhyun would stubbornly he wasn't, but the moment the other looked his way and waited for such a proclamation, Kyuhyun was stunned silent.

Soon, Kyuhyun bravely thought, sadly not soon enough.

-

"If I try hard enough," Henry said as he read through some pamphlets. "Maybe I could earn some work-study hours to help off at least some tuition. Although I heard-"

"I want to go out."

Kyuhyun widened his eyes, realizing he had said it out loud. He looked from the corner of his eyes at Henry who faced him.

"As in?" Henry prompted.

"I want us to go out... on dates..."

"You're demanding a social life in a recession? I don't think this is the right time."

Kyuhyun lowered his eyes, "No, that's not it. You see I-"

"This is where you've been all this time?!" He turned to see his manager running towards him. "We have to go-"

"No. I have to-"

"Now." He uttered dangerously, leaving Kyuhyun with no other choice. He was reluctantly forced away to another job as Henry stared blankly after him.

-

His manager tried to remain optimistic as he spoke with the director and various producers, but despite his pupil's success, Kyuhyun was still sending a glare every so often his way.

"Stop giving me that dirty look."

"No, not after I was this close to confessing." Kyuhyun snapped.

He rolled his eyes, "You were not."

Kyuhyun opened his mouth but the camera ordered him quiet for the time-being.

His manager seemed so sure, but Kyuhyun shook his head, his determination earning the best of him. In his break, he looked through some photos in his camera and bided his time.

It was only as he paused at a picture of the two of them did he stop and realized he didn't need the ideal setting.

And so, Kyuhyun called him out.

Henry opened the door, looking at an almost energetic Kyuhyun.

"Do we have to go outside?" Henry said tiredly. "Class was horrible today."

"Yes, we have to."

The way Henry almost fell asleep standing up was worrisome, but he wouldn't be deter again. He turned and squatted down, gesturing for the other and waited as Henry climbed on his back.

He started walking, adjusting Henry every so often as they walked to the empty store lot. He could hear Henry softly sleeping behind him, and purposely jumped just to keep him awake.

He lowered Henry onto a park bench in front of the closed supermarket, the younger man took a deep breath, looking at his best friend who paced back and forth.

"I need to tell... show you something." Kyuhyun corrected as he reached for some things. Henry blinked exhaustively but waited, although beneath such dim lights he closed his eyes. At least until Kyuhyun nudged him on the shoulder.

"Now look."

Kyuhyun showed three photos, all lined up straight on the bench.

The first picture was a random shot of Kyuhyun, the second picture was of a small and poorly drawn heart, the third photo of Henry that he took that day.

Henry stared at it intently, Kyuhyun felt like running away and never looking back, but needing to hear an answer. Any answer would do by now.

Henry then squinted his eyes. "I can't see it."

Kyuhyun cursed loudly as Henry tried to lean in to see the photos better, but couldn't in the darkness. Kyuhyun hurriedly reached for his cellphone and held it out for him, using its light to reveal each one.

Henry then straightened up, his eyes wide as he looked at Kyuhyun. "What?"

Kyuhyun cleared his throat. "I want to go out with you. I want to be with you, more than than just like this, than hanging out. Dating you, hugging you, and—" He stopped himself shortly, sure that now Henry had gotten the gist of it. He hoped this oblivious idiot of a friend at least understood some of it. Not that he was any better.

It took a few more minutes for Henry to look back from the photos to Kyuhyun. Every unnecessary glance in Kyuhyun's opinion, but he held back from commenting out loud.

"You really take bad photos." Henry smiled.

Kyuhyun glowered, wanting to rub away Henry's smile but was too flustered to do so. When the younger man noted how serious he was, he gave a weak smile.

"Except I never thought of you that way."

"...There's such a thing as too much honesty."

Henry continued. "I meant that it's not to the extent that you probably feel. Although I really do care about you a lot."

"You have an amazing way of showing it." Kyuhyun replied stoically. "I don't think the law classifies assault and battery under affectionate care."

The older tried not to show his disappointment, but failed miserably. After he had gone to all this trouble to too.

He felt the other leaning against him, shifting his eyes every so often.

"I wouldn't mind going out though..." Kyuhyun arched an eyebrow as Henry continued. "I don't have an ideal type, an ideal boyfriend. I've only dated a few times and none of them worked out. I wouldn't mind trying with you."

Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes. "You're doing this out of pity. I bet I'm the last choice you would have."

"Not necessarily," Henry retorted. "There are plenty of others, easily with better looks too... Smarter, better, not as mean." He gave a slanted look. "Where was I going with this?"

Kyuhyun chose to ignore his obvious tease, holding him against his torso tightly. "You'll like me soon enough." He said, attempting to sound as careless as he could, the other could probably sense it.

Henry smiled back. "I think I just might... Just know that you're the only one I would say to, and I kind of but hope you'll do whatever it takes to make me like you." He then punched his shoulder. "So, work for it!"

"Maybe I should reconsider this..." Kyuhyun muttered, earning another punch, leaving a slight bruise.

In all, this entire ordeal bothered Kyuhyun from the beginning, but he was glad to be given a chance. It wasn't an encouraging start but Henry never once detered him, only the teasing had certainly increased. Especially at his attempts of making him fall for him, worried constantly that he may not pull through it, too afraid and timid to initiate anything in case he ruined it.

Another smack across the back of his head awakened him from his senses.

"Why are you willing to date me in the first place?" Kyuhyun asked randomly one day, Henry gave a wide smile.

"I like spending time with you. That and," He stretched his arms above his head. "If it means forever, then why not?"

-

Kyuhyun woke up every so often at the bright screen's light hitting his eyes. Henry remained awake as he lazily scanned through sites on his laptop as Kyuhyun knocked out once more. Henry paused at the open tab, scanning the screen when a tired smirk made a way to his lips.

Kyuhyun woke up the next morning, Henry was already gone when he routinely checked his site. There, in bold letters, stated a new recent status change.

Relationship status: In-Progress

-

Kyuhyun opened his eyes, groggily waking up and recognizing the carpet floor he was sleeping on. He wondered why he was inside his dressing room, beneath the makeup desk no less when he felt someone beside him. He glanced to see the familiar younger man nestled against his chest, and rather than doing anything most fantasies would lead to, were simply taking a nap.

He wasn't sure whether to applaud himself for their innocence or berate them for being naive adults.

It had been seven years since and while Kyuhyun thought he would have deserved better treatment by now because of his increasing popularity, he was clearly wrong.

"Wake up." He said as he nudged Henry awake, noticing how most of the lights were off. He didn't even see his manager around and wondered why he left them there. "I think we're locked in."

"Probably." Henry grumbled, shifting slightly to make himself more comfortable.

"Let's call security... or at least call someone who can let us out."

"Too much work." Henry complained softly.

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow. "This is your fault you know, never sleeping at the right times like I told you to do."

"You just love to hear yourself talk, don't you?"

Kyuhyun looked around once more, doubting that his manager would even answer his cell and sighed as he leaned back against the carpet floor. Positioning himself so that Henry could lay comfortably on his arm.

"Why do we always end up in situations like this? Why do they always involve you actually?" Despite how old they were, these situations seemed like the same stunts they'd pull as kids.

Henry shifted himself more, this time glaring intensely at the other. "No one will miss one less model in the world."

"You're still a brat." Kyuhyun added casually, he was silenced as Henry glowered.

"Fine, change your profile status to single, see if I care."

"Too late," Kyuhyun retorted as he reached down and planted a kiss on his lips. "You've already fallen for me."

Henry said nothing as he closed his eyes, further relaxing on his chest, he couldn't retort because it was now true. And to that, Kyuhyun was beyond grateful.

He held out his cellphone, and instead of calling for help, turned it around and smiled as he clicked the side button.

He may have broken that first promise of always remaining best friends, although it was a title he wasn't at first comfortable with, but even then he never felt right with the platonic sound of it.

But he made sure to keep his second promise, and as he held the napping Henry closer towards him beneath that desk, he didn't mind the words unspoken. He closed his eyes, ignoring the neon lights that told them to escape that dark dressing room, and decided to simply ignore them as Henry always had.

Staring calmly at the two people on the bright screen, one who's lips met the other's forehead. Deciding to simply lie down on that twisted and distorted path together, just like this, side by side.

Relationship status: Taken
 

- The End -

 


A/N:I have absolutely no idea what story I'm going to debut next, I have too many in stock and trying to finish something @.@ Here goes nothing :) Thank you all subscribers and readers of this story ^^ ~Nyx.