Final

Colors
Please log in to read the full chapter

Junhong sighed, a slight pout forming on his lips. "Do I have to?" he asked, practically whining at the idea. 

"Junhong-ah," Yongguk said. His voice was stern but still kind. "You know the doctor said you need to be wearing sunglasses for the next couple of days."

Junhong sighed again, this time more exaggerated than the last. "Fine," he mumbled as he reluctantly took the glasses from his father's hands and put it on.

Yongguk smiled. "It's only for a little while," he reminded his son. He looked around the hospital room, making sure Junhong didn't forget anything. "Do you have your coloring books too?" 

Junhong nodded, directing Yongguk's attention to his backpack. "I want to color in them on the train ride home."

Yongguk smiled again. "Something tells me that you'll be looking out the window the whole time."

"Can we go now?" Junhong asked, bouncing on the balls of his feet. He was getting impatient. "I wanna go home."

"Of course," Yongguk replied. The two of them had a three hour train ride. Yongguk was hoping that Junhong would be able to control himself during that time. Three hours seemed like such a short time. But Yongguk knew that for Junhong, the case would be a little different today. Junhong had been homesick ever since he was admitted into the hospital. Every minute they spent at the hospital was torture for the poor boy.

Instinct took over as Yongguk reached to grab Junhong's hand, only to be shocked when the boy retracted his hand. 

"Dad," Junhong whined, as if Yongguk had just embarrassed him. "I'm fine. I don't need your help anymore."

Instead of that statement breaking his heart, Yongguk nodded. He knew Junhong wasn't trying to be rebellious. "Sorry," he said immediately. "Force of habit."

The two of them walked out of the hospital room. They both thanked Dr. Yoo Youngjae profusely once again before taking their leave.

As soon as they were outside, Junhong gasped.

For a split second, Yongguk was worried, until he saw his son run forward and kneel in from of a bush of flowers.

Yongguk smiled, shaking his head as he walked up to join his son. 

"These are pretty," Junhong said in amazement as he started to gently brush his fingers against the colorful plants. He gasped again. "Mom would like these, wouldn't she? I want to get some for her."

"Okay, Junhong," Yongguk replied as he knelt down as well. "How about when we get home, we can buy some for her," he suggested. "You get to pick."

Junhong nodded excitedly.

"What color are these?" Yongguk asked, pointing to the petals. "Do you remember?"

Junhong nodded again. "Pink," he answered confidently.

Yongguk nodded. The flowers really were pink. "What about the leaves?"

"Green," Junhong answered again, causing his father to smile. He couldn't deny that the coloring books his uncle Himchan had sent were helping him.

The two of them continued their trek to the train station. Yongguk would have preferred taking a cab, but Junhong insisted that they walk, his way of getting to fully enjo

Please log in to read the full chapter