Forlorn

Forlorn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

                                 

 

 

                              It is the 8th day of May, spring, her favourite season of the year. Spring is when most of the miracles happen. Animals from long hibernation come out from their places and wander around. Flowers starts to bloom just like how the sun started to shine in the east early in the morning. The wind smelled like lemon grass that gives her that warm feeling. For her, spring is always a chance for people to start over. To breed in to a new life after a cold and iced season. It’s a chance of change and hope.

She was smiling as she is walking on the corridor of the fifth floor. She wore a clean white t-shirt and had her hair tied like a bun. She has her guitar hanging on her should while carrying some books on her hand.

She is the sunshine of the hospital institution. When everything is grieving, she was there to cry with them and smile after. She always tells them, “Never lose hope”. Because she believes that she is the epitome of the opposite of forlorn. And that is to never lose hope.

Her day starts like this. She is up by 6AM and goes to the hospital an hour after. She smiles at everyone she sees even without knowing them. She trusts that smile is epidemic. You can make other people smile just by smiling.

She went to the door she was assigned in today. It is a private, room 24. I missed this. She thought as she smiled.

She knocked on the door and entered when a male voice said, “Come in.”

“Hi.” She beamed happily at the guy sitting on the bed. He has bandage around his head and he seemed to be puzzled if who is she.

“You are…” She took a moment to look at her records. “Kris, right?” She asked with a smile.

“Yes. Who are you?” The man asked back with a cold and timid voice, certainly uninterested about her barging into his room.

“Hi, I am Hani. Nice to meet you.” She offered her hand and her smiling eyes. But the man just ignored it.

It was normal. She is used to patients treating her like this but why does she feel extra painful with this man’s treatment on her? There was a stinging pain on her chest.

She grabbed the chair and sat beside his bed, “I am a volunteer of this hospital. I can tell you stories. I can strum my guitar and sing few songs. I can be your listener. I can be your friend. I can be whoever you wanted me to.”

“I am not interested so will you please get out?” Kris said.

He hates how this woman had the guts to smile at her after seeing the situation he was in.

Hani sighed and looked down, “Okay, Kris.”

She finally gave up and approached the door. Just when she was about to step out of the room, she spoke.

“I just want you to know that I do this every day here on this floor and the pediatrician ward. And please take note that I won’t be leaving any door unopened.”

The hell I care. Kris thought.

Hani’s eyebrows twitched when she shut the door close. Why is it still so painful? She thought.

 

The rest of the days went by and how Kris treated Hani has no progress. Every day, it was like a cycle, a routine. Kris will always shut her out. And her, being just a mere volunteer, she can do nothing.

On the 12th of May, Kris called one of the nurses to him to the nearest rest room. He has been bored to death. He hates being bedridden and having nothing to do. Few more days left and he will be discharged. And he can’t wait for it to happen.

Just when he was passing by the lounge of the fifth floor, he saw a group of small girls gathered around sitting on the small couches like a meeting has been held. And when he looked closer, he saw that girl who has been bugging him every morning, offering him a story or a song or a single strum of the guitar.

He saw her fixing the beanie of one of the girls wearing hospital gown. She went to the middle, sat at the small chair and started singing. He could see how the little girls’ faces were changed from being pale to happy and glad.

And the best part of that scenario is he saw that Hani is enjoying performing in front of the little girls.

 

The next day, Kris wake up early and sat on his bed, patiently waiting for the persistent girl to come. Hours passed by and his ached on waiting for her but she never came. He doesn’t know why he was even waiting for her. And why he is disappointed that she didn’t come. He waited and waited for her to come until 9PM kicked in.

I thought she’ll never leave any door unopened.

 

The next day was just like yesterday. He woke up early and waited for her. But now, it was different. He is expecting her to come and knock in but also expecting her to ditch him again.

A knock wake him up from his deep slumber. He muttered, “Come in.”

“Hi, Kris.” She entered, the girl he has been waiting for and smiled at him.

“Why are you not here yesterday?” He asked.

“Something came up. I am real

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter