A Promise Is A Promise

The Promises We've Made

h Two little kids were sitting on the playground swing as their parents were watching them from afar. The younger of the two named Tiffany looked at her best friend Jessica sitting next to her. Tiffany was currently 5 years old with the latter being 6. She wore a nice little pink shorts with a white t-shirt with a pink unicorn on it. Her hair, being jet black, was tied up into pig tails on either side of her head. 

Her best friend on the other hand, wore blue and black shorts that came up to her knees and wore a simple white t-shirt with a tiger on it. Her hair, a bright colored blonde was left down and came past her shoulders on length. Unlike Tiffany who was excited, she sat with a bored expression on her face. 

"Jessi! Why do you look so bored!" Tiffany said as she stood up from the swing and went to the right side and stood in front of Jessica. 

"So?" Jessica answered with a bored tone.

"You need to have fun!" Tiffany now had her hands to her hips. Jessica suddenly laughed a bit. "What?" 

"Nothing, you look funny and cute." Jessica stood up. Tiffany smiled a bit with a blush on her cheeks. She always does whenever her best friend compliments. 

"Come on! Let's go over to slide!" Tiffany grabbed a hold of Jessica's hand and they walked over to the big play structure. "Woah!" Tiffany was amazed at how big the structure was. Still holding hands, they climbed the steps that led to the body of the playground. When they reached the top of the stairs, they had two choices. The first choice was on their left that would lead them a little lower then where they were standing as well as a smaller size slide. The second choice on their right however would lead them across a bridge that lead to more stairs going higher until it reaches a high height and ends with a bigger sized slide. 

"Where do you want to go Tiff?" Jessica asked her best friend. She was always considerate of her answers even if she wanted to do the opposite of what her best friend said.

"Can we go to the smaller slide first? I'm kind of scared." Jessica nodded and the both of them walked over to their left and they walked down one step and continued walking until they reached the slide. 

"You go first Tiff." 

"You sure?" Jessica nodded. Tiffany gave her an eye smile before heading down the slide. "Yaaaay!" She said as she went down the slide. Jessica smile while watching. "Your turn Jessi!" Jessica followed and sat down on top of the slide before sliding down slowly with a small smile on her face. At the end of the slide, Jessica stood up and walked over to her Tiffany.

"Are you ready for the bigger slide Tiffany?" Jessica asked. 

"I don't know Jessi. I'm kind of scared." 

"You know I'll protect you right?" Tiffany nodded. "Then trust me ok?" 

"Ok..." 

"Good now let's go." Jessica held Tiffany's hand to try and calm her down. She led them over to the staircase again and took the choice on their right this time when they reached the top of the staircase that led to the center of the playground. The two walked up another set set of stairs which sent them higher and higher up until they reached the top. In front of them were dark green slides. Tiffany turned her head to her side and she saw that they where really high up from the ground. Her grip on Jessica's hand tightened. 

"Jessi, I'm really scared..." Tiffany said, her voice slightly shaking. "I don't want to go down anymore." 

"Don't worry Tiff, I won't let anything happen to you." 

"Promise?" 

"Promise." Jessica then led Tiffany over to the slide and told her to sit down at the start of the slide. 

"What about you?" Tiffany asked. Jessica didn't say anything and sat behind Tiffany with her legs on either side of Tiffany. One of her arms was wrapped around her friend's waist while the other held the side of the slide.

"Ready?" Tiffany nodded. "Alright, here we go." Jessica pushed them forward and they slowly but quickly went down the long slide. Tiffany was gripping Jessica's arms tightly as they went down. Jessica on the other hand was totally enjoying it. "Woohoo!" They reached the end and they both stood up with Jessica back hugging Tiffany. 

"That wasn't so bad right?" Jessica said to Tiffany. 

"I guess it was alright..." 

"Do you want to go again?" Tiffany nodded.

"But we're going on together again."

"Ok!" The two then went back up and went down the slide multiple times and Tiffany slowly got rid of her fear. While doing this, they didn't realize that their parents were watching them. 

"Their so cute~" Tiffany's mom said as she squealed in excitement. 

"I know right!" Jessica's mom also agreed with he statement. 

"Should we get them married?"

"Yup, but then again I'm pretty sure my baby would marry her without us having to do anything." 

"True true." Tiffany's mom sighed, but not in a bad way. "Ah~ young love."

-

That happened 5 years ago. The two girls have grown and their relationship is still as strong as ever. Both girls were now in school at Sooman Elementary. Just like always they did everything together, that is until one day, where one of them had to leave. 

It was just a normal day at the elementary and two girls were seen near the schools garden, eating their lunch that they shared. "Hey Jessi," Tiffany suddenly said causing Jessica to look at her. "What would happen if one of us leaves?" 

"What do you mean?" Jessica asked confused. She didn't like wear this conversation was going. 

"Like if one of us moves, what would we do?"

"Well, if it does happen, then we'll send emails to each other and video chat." Tiffany nodded. "Why are you asking Tiff? Are you moving?" 

"Of course not Jessi. If I will then I would tell you wouldn't I? I'm just curious, that's all." Jessica felt relieved at the answer. She couldn't imagine what would life be like if Tiffany suddenly moved and left her here all alone. Jessica shook out any negative thoughts she had and continued enjoying her best friends presence next to her.

RING~

The two heard the school's bell ring and they finished up their lunch and went their separate ways to their class. Luckily the school day was shorter than usual today, so they didn't have to spend a lot of time at school. The final bell rang signaling the end of classes for the day and kids rushed out of their classrooms and out of the school until they reached their parents. Jessica on the other hand, went over to Tiffany's classroom and waited until she exited the room. 

"Hey Tiff." Tiffany smiled when she saw her best friend waiting for her. 

"Hey Jessi, ready to go?" Jessica nodded. Tiffany as usual, grabbed Jessica's hands as the two walked outside of the school. Once outside they waited by the curb for one of their parents to arrive and drive them back home. The both of them waited awhile though, but they didn't mind. They were lost in their own world talking about the most random things any 10 year old would talk about. 

"Tiffany! Jessica! Let's go!" The two were pulled out from their world when they heard Tiffany's mom call out to them. The two then walked over to her and they entered her Toyota that was colored grey.

"Did you two wait long?" Tiffany's mom asked in concern.

"I think so mommy, but it's ok I have Jessi with me."

"Oh really now?" Tiffany nodded with a smile on her face. "Does Jessica make you happy?"

"Yes mommy! Jessi is the best!" Tiffany showed her mom a thumbs up which she saw through the rear view mirror in the car. Tiffany's mom smiled.

"Jessica." The said girl who was looking out the window turned her head towards the voice. 

"Yes auntie?" 

"Does Tiffany make you happy?" Jessica smiled.

"Of course! She's my best friend and I love her." Hearing that Tiffany showed her eye smile and turned to her Jessi saying 'I love you too'. Tiffany's mom chuckled a bit before the smile on her turned into a small sad frown. 

"I'm sorry Tiffany, but we need to go back to Korea. Your grandfather is in the hospital and he wants us there." Tiffany's mom thought to herself. "We still have a few weeks left, I should tell her when our departure is near." She looked at her rear view mirror again and saw Tiffany hugging Jessica with a smile on her face. "I hope you can still smile after we leave, Miyoung-ah." She didn't want to break their hearts, who would want to? Anyone can see that these two girls needed each other by their sides. 

They finally arrived at Tiffany's house and the two best friends ran out of the car and into the house. "Hello girls." Tiffany's dad greeted them. 

"Hi daddy."

"Hi uncle." 

"You girls got any homework to do?" 

"Nope! We finished it all already, daddy." 

"Alright then, you girls have fun then." They both nodded and headed over to Tiffany's room completely oblivious to the talk Tiffany's parents were having. 

"How should we tell them?" Tiffany's mom asked.

"I don't know honey. I can't bear to see them so sad after." 

"I'm not telling them, you are."

"Fine..."

-

"Jessi, what do you want to do?" Tiffany asked lying upside down on her bed. 

"I don't know. What do you want to do?" 

The two were currently just chilling in Tiffany's room doing nothing. 

"Want to watch T.V?" Jessica suggested. 

"Ok!" Jessica then got up from the floor and the t.v as well as grabbing the remote. She returned and sat down next to Tiffany on her bed this time. Jessica flipped through all the channels and they decided to watch Star King. 

"Hey Jessi," Tiffany suddenly said. "Can you promise me something?"

"What is it?" Jessica furrowed her eyebrows, wondering why Tiffany was making her promise so many things.

"Promise me we'll never change." Tiffany looked at Jessica seriously.

"I promise Tiff. You know I wouldn't break any of our promises." Tiffany smiled. "Can I ask why you're asking me this? It's not like you."  

"I know, I'm just curious Jessi. That's all." 

"Ok if you say so."

Two weeks had passed and it was time for Tiffany's parents to tell the two best friends about the heartbreaking news. It was Saturday and Jessica was over as usual, and they decided it was the perfect time to tell them. The two adults gathered the two kids in the living room and had them sit on the couch. 

"Why'd you call us over here uncle?" Jessica asked. Tiffany's dad fidgeted in his seat. 

"Well Jessica, we're moving to Korea." 

"WHAT?!" Tiffany shouted standing up from her seat. "That's far away!" Jessica on the other hand was frozen in her seat.

"It's true honey, we're leaving in three days." Tiffany's mouth dropped. 

"Three days! Why didn't you tell us?" 

"We didn't want you guys to be upset." Tiffany's mom explained. "We wanted you two to be happy for a bit longer instead of feeling sad." Tiffany's tears fell. 

"I don't want to move! I want to stay with Jessi!" Jessica snapped out of her trance and went over to Tiffany and hugged her from behind tightly.  

"It's alright Tiff. Let's just not think about it for now." Jessica whispered in Tiffany's ear. 

"I can't not think about it Jessi, we're leaving in three day! Don't you feel sad?" Her voice cracked.

"I am sad Tiff. But we can't just sit around here moping around. Days go by pretty fast so we need to spend it to our advantage. Ok?" Tiffany nodded while wiping her tears away. The two adults who were watching felt their heartbreak. 

"We'll be upstairs uncle, auntie." They nodded as they watched the two kids dissapear.

"I hope they'll be alright." Tiffany's mom said while resting her head on her husbands shoulder.

"Hopefully."

-

Just like what Jessica said, the days did go by very quickly. It was Tiffany's departure day. Jessica and Tiffany's family were all there at the airport. Both their parents were talking to each other while Tiffany and Jessica were hugging tightly. 

"I really don't want to go Jessi." 

"Don't worry Tiff, we'll be together again before you know it." She tightened the hug when she felt Tiffany crying against her shoulder. She pulled away slightly and lifted Tiffany's face up to wipe the tears that were falling down. 

"You'll keep your promise right?" Jessica nodded. 

"I'll video call you every chance I get." 

"The boarding of Plane 562, Los Angeles to Seoul is starting in 10 minutes. Please get ready." They heard the announcement say.

"Come on Tiffany, it's time to go." Tiffany's mom said with a sad smile. The two kids held hands one last time before reluctantly letting go. They both waved until they couldn't see each other anymore and at that time the tears Jessica had been holding finally fell as she now felt loneliness surround her as her best friend wasn't by her side anymore. she then felt her dad hold on to her shoulder. 

"It's time to go now Jessica." She nodded while wiping away all her tears. She grabbed both her parents hands and with one last look towards the place where Tiffany was, she turned around and headed to out of the airport.

-

"So Jessi, I was like he's not even that hot and Nicole was all like..... " Tiffany said through the video chat.

It had been 3 years since the two best friends saw each other but they still managed to communicate even though they were busy with school. Tiffany would always call before she slept and Jessica would answer her calls before she went to school. It was difficult because of the time difference. 

"Who are you talking about again?" Jessica interrupted Tiffany. She saw the younger girl on the screen pout.

"That guy that my friend likes." 

"Name?"

"I can't tell you." Jessica rolled her eyes.

"Oh come on. I don't even know who the guy is." 

"I still can't tell." Jessica stuffed with a piece of bread. 

"Mmhsho howsh shcool...." 

"Yah! Finish chewing first." Jessica grinned before she swallowed the remaining food in .

"Ok so how's school."

"It's tiring! It's much harder here than in America." 

"How much longer will you stay there. I miss you." She heard Tiffany sigh. She knew something wasn't right.

"Jessi, my parents are planning on staying here until I graduate from college." 

"Oh..." Jessica didn't really know what to say. Who could when you find out your best friend isn't coming back for a long time.

"Jessica! Come on let's go, you'll be late for school!" Tiffany heard Jessica's mom say through the video chat.

"Well looks like I have to go. Talk to you tomorrow. Goodnight Tiff." Jessica waved to the screen. 

"Bye Jessi." She also waved to the screen before ending the call. Jessica closed her laptop and headed down stairs and out the door. 

"Wait for me Tiff." Jessica whispered to herself before she entered her mom's car. She headed of to school with a heavy heart.

-

As the years went by, Tiffany had called Jessica less and less. When she did call, both of them would start arguing because of silly things that could easily be resolved.

"Fine! I won't call you anymore, I promise I won't. From now on we're not best friends." Tiffany ended the call one night just like that. Jessica stared at her screen with tears flowing down her face as she finally realized her mistake. A few days later with still no call from the younger girl, Jessica finally decided to call Tiffany and ask for forgiveness. She called but there was no answer. She tried and tried but she couldn't reach her. She didn't know that Tiffany got rid of her laptop. Now with a broken heart, Jessica then made a promise to herself. 

"I'll find you Tiff. Even if it means that I'll have to search all of Korea." And with that after her high school graduation ceremony she headed off to the airport. The same one where Tiffany left her a few years back. Her parents were behind her.

"Good luck honey." Jessica's dad said he hugged her. "We'll miss you but be sure to visit us when you have a chance." His daughter nodded. A few tears fell from his eyes as he realized his daughter has grown up already.

"Don't cry dad, I'll be back." She gave another hug to her father before going to her mother who was crying. "You too mom. Don't cry. Take good care of yourself ok?" She hugged her mother. She took her carry-on luggage with her before leaving and waving to her parents one last time before she boarded the plane that will take her to her love. 

"I'll see you soon Tiff." 

-

"Hey guys!" One of Tiffany's friends named Nicole said. 

"Are you alright? Why are you excited?" Ailee asked. Tiffany looked at her excited friend.

"I heard there's going to be a foreign exchange student in our class." Nicole answered with a squeal.

"OMG no way." Ailee said.

"Yes way!" They both fangirled while Tiffany looked at the two girls.

"Um guys, do you even know if it's a boy or not?" Tiffany said.

"Well I heard it's going to be a girl." Nicole answered. 

"Oh." 

"Are you seriously not excited about this?" Ailee exclaimed. 

"Should I be?"

"Are you still thinking about your friend from California?" They heard Tiffany sigh. 

"I miss her." 

-

For the next few days the class continued just like normal until that one day when everyone heard that the new student will arrive at the school soon. Everyone in Tiffany's class was talking excitedly wondering how the student looks like and what not.

"Alright class. Everyone please settledown." The teacher caught the students attention and they soon quieted down. "Ok, so you may have heard that there will be a new student today. That's true and she will be joining our class." The class started talking again causing a ruckus.

"I'm so excited right now!" Nicole said while anticipating the arrival of the new student. "Aren't you excited Fany-ah?" 

"I guess." Tiffany shrugged. To be honest, she really didn't care at all that much. 

"Too bad Ailee isn't here. I know how much she wanted to see who the new student was." 

"OK everyone!" The teacher caught their attention again. Everyone quieted down. "Our new student is right outside the door. Can you please come in?" Everybody in the class looked directly at the door as it opened. A beatiful girl with blonde hair entered the classroom leaving everyone in awe especially Tiffany.

"Jessi?....."

She faced and the class and introduced herself. "Hello, my name is Jessica Jung. Pleased to meet you." Jessica then bowed to the class.

"Well Ms. Jessica, you may sit next Tiffany over there. Tiffany please raise your hand." Jessica looked at the person she hadn't seen in a long time. 

"She's gotten more beautiful." Jessica thought to herself before walking over to where Tiffany was with the class staring at her. As she sat down, none of the two said anything. They were awkward with each other.

"Ok everyone take out a sheet of paper, we'll be taking notes." The class groaned in dismay. That was all they did during class. When the lunch bell rang, Nicole got up and left Tiffany alone with Jessica saying she'll be right back with her lunch. The two walked out the door in silence, that is until Jessica spoke.

"I missed you Tiff." She looked at the girl next to her. Tiffany was already crying. 

"I missed you too." She hugged the older girl tightly not wanting to let go. "I'm sorry."

"No, I'm the one who should be sorry. I didn't realize that you were busy and couldn't call me as much. I should've been understanding." Tiffany responded with hugging her tighter. 

"We're good now right?" Jessica nodded. 

"I kept my promise didn't I?" 

"What promise?"

"That we'll see each other again." Tiffany buried her head in Jessica's neck and nodded. Jessica chuckled.

"This time, I'll never let you go."


A/N: Hello! This is another one of my one shot that I made. It's actually pretty long, over 3,000 words. That's the first for me lol. Hope you guys enjoy this one and sorry I took a bit long updating this I was busy with my other fanfic. Hehehe

Well then I hope to see you guys soon. ^^ Wolfey signing out *peace*