You Are My Gift

[OS] You Are My Gift

Min Ran’s POV :

“Yah! What took you so long?” A voice blared throughout the house.

“Do you know how long have I been waiting for you? Aish! You are late for God’s sake!” The ‘PA’ system blared again. God, he is so annoying! I know what I’m doing. So please, shut up for a minute! Aish!

“YAH! MIN RAN!” He. Is. Getting. On. My. Nerves!!! Why can’t he wait for a while? One  more shout from you, I am so going to-

“MIN RAN!!!” Ugh!!

“COMING!” I shouted as I ran downstairs to where he was.

I found him sitting comfortably on the couch with a few thick revision books laid out on the table while waiting for me in the living room. As usual, he’ll watch the educational programmes on TV. What a boring guy he is. No wonder he does not have a girlfriend yet. Aigoo~

I stood at the corner looking at him. He looked somehow charismatic with his posture. Although he was umm… Slouching? I giggled by myself looking at him.

“YA-” He nearly jumped out of his skin when he discovered that I was staring at him from the corner.

“W-what are you doing there?” He straightened his body posture and blinked cluelessly. Talking about nerds.

“Nothing. Just enjoying the view from here.” I smirked as I made my way towards a spot beside him on the couch.

“So, what are we gonna learn today?” I asked as I flipped through the pages of one of the revision books.

“Not WE. It is YOU,” he corrected me.

“Okay, fine. I get it. Me. So what am I gonna learn today?”

“Well, I’ll be helping you out in Calculus. You are weak in that right?”

“Ne…” I groaned at the mere mention of Calculus. I hate that subject. Too much. And I’m suffering because of it!

Then, he started teaching. And miraculously, I actually understood what he was teaching. He IS a good tutor! Thank God, he is living only a block away from my house. Well actually, I stayed over at his house since the last two weeks until my parents come home from a trip to visit my oppa in Russia.

Back to the nerd, he is older than me by five years and he is a total genius! He is on one of the top three students back in high school, well now he’s in university, and coincidentally, my parents and his are childhood friends. Can you believe that? I’m not as bright as him and my umma has already started to make comparisons and bla bla bla. Best of all, she even got him to be my tutor! I know, oh my god, right? I’ll be spending most of my time with a genius nerd *sighs*

“Yah,” he nudged me. I looked at him blankly.

“Gwaenchana? Are you dozing off?” He continued.

“A-ani. Wae? Do I even look like I’m sleeping?” Yeah, you got that right. I’m good at talking back. It is just that I do not like to talk in school. Came to think of it, I do not talk much except with this guy here. Weird.

“Good. Can we continue?” He smiled as he asked. That smile is so sweet! I never knew a nerd can smile that cute! Woah woah woah! What am I thinking?? Sheesh!

“Ne~” I nodded my head and he resumed teaching.

We actually spend the night together like that. By studying. Period. Nothing more than that.

Few days later…

“Yah! Palli! Wakey!!” He shouted while he knocked on my door vigorously.

I groaned and dove my head unto the pillows.

“FIVE MORE MINUTES!!” I shouted back.

“Na’ah! Wake up now, or I’ll come barging in!”

“YOU try me!” So much for my stubbornness, he came barging into my room.

“OH MY GAWD!! YOU ARE SICK, OPPA!!” I screamed as I pulled my blanket to cover my face. I could clearly hear him chuckling and pulling off my blanket.

“Yah, stop it! Go away! I don’t wanna go to school today!” I pulled my blanket back.

“Not a chance. Wake up now or I’ll call your parents! You’ll be late for school!!” I groaned again at the mention of ‘your parents’. He loves to make me stumble by saying that. Screw him!

“Aish! Ara, ara. I’m getting up. Now, move!” I shoved him to the side and entered the bathroom.

“Palli, I’ll be waiting downstairs.”

After that, I heard footsteps walking out of my room. I still could not believe the fact that I’m living in a house with a nerd, no genius, alone. His parents were also off to some other country for business trip. So yeah, that made us only two people in this enormous house of his. One house. Two people. A girl and a boy. Yah, don’t think nonsense, you people! Aigoo…

I got myself into my school uniform and scurried downstairs. He was already there. Leaning against his car, checking the time with his watch. God, he looked so fine with that pose.

I jogged my way to him and strangely enough, I found my heart beating unusually fast when our eyes met.

“Ready?” He asked. I was too stunned to talk that I just nod my head. Geez, what’s happening to me? He then smiled and ruffled my hair. He went to the driver’s seat after.

“Yah, I’m not a kid. Don’t ruffle my hair. It’s hard to get them straight back, you know?” I pouted.

“But you are still the cute, sweet lil sis of mine anya?” He smiled. Again. And my heart pumped fast. Again.

???’s POV :

It hurts me to say that you are a sis of mine. I want you to be more than a sis to me. I want you to be…

“Yah, start the engine already, oppa.” I grinned when she said that.

I want her to be by my side so much that I sometimes do not want her to go to school. Well, her school’s co-ed and you know, I felt insecure. Insecure that maybe she’ll find other guy who is better than me in school. Insecure that she’ll find the guy of her dreams before I managed to confess to her. I need to confess sooner or later. But the thing that has been bugging me is that to her, I’m just a friend. To her, I’m just one of those nerds and a genius who is summoned by her parents to tutor her. That’s all. Nothing more than that.

I stopped the car when I reached her school.

“Hwaiting for today ne?” I flashed my white pearls at her and she did the same.

“Gomawo, Jinki oppa,” she exclaimed as she unbuckle her seat belt.

“Be careful ne? Jalga~” She waved her hands as she closed the car door. I waved back and waited until she entered the building. I drove off after that. To my favorite hanging spot. It is kinda secluded.

I parked the car in the garage of the place when I spot my buddies. They are what I’ve got since I graduated from high school.

“Onew! Here!” The guy whose face is often being compared to a dino and being dubbed the playboy of our circle called out to me. His name is Jonghyun. And oh, Onew is my stage name and Jinki’s my real name.

“Just sent that girl to school?” Another guy who is always diva-ish and adored by many for his talent of dancing to girl group dances flawlessly spoke up.

“What ‘that girl’? She got a name, Key,” I gritted my teeth at him.

“Ahh Min Ran…” The tall guy with a pair of big, adorable eyes spoke. Minho’s the name.

“Yah, why are you calling her name like that?” I asked, sounding rather jealous.

“Oohh~ Onew hyung’s jealous~” The youngest spoke. He has red hair and a pretty face. And he is often mistaken for a girl. Name’s Taemin.

“Ahh whatever. Let’s get to practice,” I said, trying to avoid talking about her. ‘Cause if I started to talk about her, I’ll go nuts and began rambling non-stop about her.

Minho and Key plugged in the guitars while Taemin fixed the keyboard stand. Jonghyun is off fixing the mic and I did the same. As always.

“Ready?” I asked after they settled up all the stuffs. All of them nodded in unison.

We started singing to our hearts’ content and as always, we managed to attract a lot of onlookers. One by one of them surrounded our ‘stage’ and the best part of all, they sang along with us. I have no idea how they memorized the lyrics to our song but whatever it is, I’m very grateful to have such fans to support me and my buddies.

Oh! Oh! Let me got a doo-bop doo-bop doo-bop!’

“Kamsa hamnida, we are shining SHINee!” We exclaimed as we bowed to the audiences and we scored ourselves a huge thunder of applause.

We are known as SHINee, the indie band. More like street performers. I found my call in singing after I started hanging out with them during my last year in high school. Taemin is still high-schooling anyway. The rest are in the same university as me.

Min Ran has never known this part of me. She did not know about the existence of SHINee because the moment Jonghyun, Key, Minho, Taemin and I decided to form this band, I have told them to only perform during the afternoons as she is in afternoon school. What about Taemin, you ask? He’s in morning school. So yeah. And she did not even know that I could sing. Came to think of it, I had actually hid a lot of stuff from her… *sighs*

My life went on like this. Every morning and night, I’ll be Jinki, the genius nerd for Min Ran and during the afternoons, I’ll be Onew, the leader of SHINee. All that pretending will come to a halt after I had gathered my courage to confess to her. Real soon.

That night…

Min Ran’s POV :

“Oppa! Dinner’s ready!” I called out to Jinki oppa as I serve the food I had prepared for dinner on the dining table. The sweet aroma of the food has really filled the whole house that he came faster than I thought he would be. He started scooping some fried broccoli into his bowl of rice. I giggled by myself looking at his actions. He’s so cute.

“You seemed happy today. Good thing happened?” He asked without really looking at me. His eyes were glued to the fried chicken I cooked since just now. I forked the crispiest chicken and put it into his already full bowl. He smiled and looked back at me, snapping me back into reality of having to answer his question. What was his question… Ahh! OMG! He can see that?? I did not say anything since I stepped into the car and he knew I’m happy? Eotteohke?

“H-how did you know?” The puzzled look was plastered completely on my face.

“I know stuff. You’ve been smiling non-stop since I fetch you from school.”

I hate to admit this, but it’s true. I’ve been grinning like some sort of maniac for the whole day. I have just found out that I have a secret admirer. He leaves me a rose everyday on my locker in school since a few days back. But strange enough, I have no idea who that is.

“N-nothing…” I continued smiling although I was eating. Smiling while eating. Crazy me.

“Yah~ Tell me~” He showed his puppy dog eyes at me. God, he knew I can’t resist those eyes! Pabo, Jinki oppa!

“Aish… Ara, ara. A guy has been sending me roses every day since a few days ago,” I answered and you guessed it right. Back to smiling.

“Ahh~ You like them? I mean do you know that guy? Is he nice?” His tone is full of worry and he asked too much questions. He has never like that before. What had actually gotten into him?

“Oppa, keep quiet and let’s eat,” I said as I shoved the rice into my mouth with a pair of chopsticks quickly, ending the topic. I peeked from the bowl and saw him rather sad. He should be happy that I won’t be bothering him anymore. Why is he sad? Out of the blue, his lips curved into a smile. Now, THAT is freaky.

One day…

Jinki/Onew’s POV:

At the usual hanging spot…

“Guys, it’s Angel’s birthday tomorrow,” I said with full of happiness.

“Angel? Who is Angel? Omo, you got a girlfriend, hyung??” Taemin asked, looking all blank.

“It’s her. Who else, Taem? Aigoo~” Minho said, patting Taemin’s back as he went to sit beside him.

“Molla.. You’re the guy with the talents anya? You’ve got brain and talent. YOU do the thinking,” Jonghyun answered coolly while being his usual self. His head is on Key’s lap and he is playing with his phone.

“I’ve been thinking about this. Is it okay?” I let them into my plan.

“Great idea, hyung!” Key clasps his hands and grinned like a five year old, making Jonghyun startled and almost fall off.

“You think so? Wish me luck ne?” I gave each of them a hug before going off to the car to fetch Min Ran from school. Truth to be told, the four of them are more like my brothers than just friends. I mean we shared a lot of stuff together. We share the same interest, go to the same university except for Taemin of course.

I started the engine of the car, drew in a deep breath and murmured to myself, “Hope it turns out well tomorrow.”

Min Ran’s POV :

“Where is he? He is late! Oppa’s never late… what is wrong with him? Is everything okay?” I began to fidget as I leaned against the school gate waiting for his arrival.

“Yah, Rose Girl,” I turned around to see my bestfriend giggling.

“Yah, don’t call me that,” I punched her arms playfully.

“Mwo? It’s true. You ARE the Rose Girl anya? Received another one today?”

“Mhmm…” I nodded my head gleefully.

“And it’s pretty,” I continued and the next thing I know, I found my face turning hot and I do not even know why or what had caused me that.

“Aahh~ Blushing girl,” she poked my arm and chuckled.

Just as I was about to defend myself, the familiar car stopped by the pavements. He’s here. Finally!

“I’ll talk to you later. Jalga, Youngie~” I waved at her and she did the same.

I ran to his car, get into the passenger’s seat and fold my arms, putting on my sulking mask.

“Yah, waegurae?” He asked as he stepped onto the pedal.

“Hmph,” I turned to the window, ignoring him completely.

Jinki/Onew’s POV:

“Yaaahhhh~ Mianhae. I know I’m late. I was caught in traffic, you know. There’s an accident at the junction there.” I turned the steering wheel to the right as I looked at the side view mirror to check for oncoming cars.

“Cheongmal?” Finally she spoke.

“Ne. Cheongmal. What can I do to make it up to you?” I asked.

“Hmm, chicken soup? I wanna eat that.”

It’s lovely to be able to listen to her sweet voice again. Even just a small fight that barely lasts for a minute has already made my heart missed a beat or two. Oh God, I’m totally in…

“Ahh ne. How’s the rose? I meant did that boy send you another one today?” I asked her.

“Ne and it’s yeppeuda~” A sweet smile is carved on her lips and her cute dimple is formed just beside her lips. She’s way more yeppeo than the roses. Trust me, she is.

“Wae oppa ask this all of a sudden?” She looked at me with that cute confused look. Too cute.

“Hmm? Aniya. Yah, you said you wanted chicken soup anya? I’m taking you there now.” I drove to a place.

“Yah! You said you are taking me to eat chicken soup anya? Wae are you taking me home?” she pouted her lips. Double cute. Aigoo~

“Mwo? This IS the place. Kacha~” I parked the car and ran inside the house, leaving her standing alone outside.

Min Ran’s POV :

Aish, pabo! I thought he’s a genius?

“Yah, where are you going? Oppa!” I followed him into the house and went searching for him. Suddenly, I heard pot clanging and utensils banging sound in the kitchen. I crept hurriedly to the kitchen and peek from behind the door.

There he was, looking so charming with the blue apron hugging his body, getting busy with a knife and a frozen chicken that he took out of the fridge. He was struggling with the cutting and stuff but still he looks cute and adorable and handsome and hot and OH MAI GAHHHH!!!! What am I thinking?? Aish! But I can’t seem to stop myself from smiling as I gazed at him working hard in the kitchen.

What is this feeling I’m having right now? Why am I feeling this way? That my heart is racing super duper fast whenever I look at him. Is it because I’m looking at him every day and I’m staying with him? It’s impossible… Right? And now, I’m not so sure about my feelings anymore.

A few minutes later…

“There, chicken soup is done!” He said as he placed the bowl of soup on the dining table.

“Try it, agasshi. I hope it tastes good…” He continued. I giggled looking at him.

“Ne, gomawo ahjusshi,” I stuck out my tongue at him and I held the warm bowl up to my lips and I drink it slowly.

“Maa! Oppa daebak!” I grinned. He just smiled and he began leaning towards me. I kept blinking at the sudden close position. He then held out his hand near my face and wiped the stain off the edge of my lips with his thumb. He chuckled and put his hands on my shoulders.

“Min Ran, gwaenchana?”

“N-ne… G-gwaenchana.” Believe it or not, I was stammered for words and I could feel that my face is as red as a beetroot now.

The next day…

Jinki/Onew’s POV :

The first thing that came to my mind when I opened my eyes is that I hoped everything is gonna be smooth today. I really hope it does. And I’m gonna do it by tonight. Be it by hook or by crook, I’m gonna do it and there will be no turning back!

I dialed a couple of numbers and I talked for a bit. All I can do now is to pray for the plan to fall perfectly in place.

“Oppa!!” That voice has definitely swept me off my feet. Aigoo~

“Ahh ne! Coming!” I shouted as I make big steps towards where the voice is coming from.

“Oppa! Aigoo… Why didn’t you comb your hair?” She said while combing my hair with her fingers but she stopped doing that when our eyes met. She looked away in a dash and stuttered.

“Umm… B-breakfast is ready… I’m g-gonna go to e-eat… ” She ran off to the kitchen, leaving me standing there alone and I found myself grinning after.

At 1600…

I’ve gotta start going now. Hope it goes well.

Min Ran’s POV :

Geudae jichigo himdeul tae
Budi geu yopjarie nareul itge hae
Batgiman han sarangeul dasi deuril su itge
I salmi keunagi jone’

 I grabbed my phone and saw an incoming text message.

Jinki Oppa 16:00
Yah, Minnie, come ovr 2 Namsan Tower at 7pm. B punctual ara? Keke

Me 16:03
Oppa, what r u up 2? Is it important? -.-''

Jinki Oppa 16:05
Ne, it is. C u there :)

I started picking out what to wear later since I got like three hours of free time til then. I pulled out a baby blue, knee-length dress with lacey straps on it. I took out a pair of black boots as well.

At 1830…

I put on the dress and boots. I let my hair flow to one side, over my right shoulder and set off to Namsan Tower. Thank God, there’s a cab here. Wait, a cab right in front of the house? Freaky. I boarded it anyway since I only have about thirty minutes until then.

“Namsan Tower?” The driver with a pair of big adorable eyes asked.

“Ah n-ne. how did you know?” He just smiled and took me there. I took out some money to pay him but he resisted.

“It’s a pleasure to drive this pretty lady here.” He bowed and he drove off.

There I was, alone in the middle of the place.

“You’re here,” a familiar voice came abruptly behind me. I turned around and I caught my breath when I found out that that familiar voice belonged to a guy named Jinki.

“Oppa?” I smiled sweetly at him. God, he’s so hot tonight.

“You are so pretty tonight.”

“Ch-cheongmal? G-gomawo, oppa,” I bend my head down and blushed furiously. He then took my hand and led me to the highest level of Namsan Tower.

“Omo~ The view is so pretty from here…” I said in awe, looking at the bright, shining, twinkling like diamonds in the night sky.

“Ne… But not as pretty as you,” he chimed in out of the blue.

“N-ne?”

“A-aniya… Ah, watch me. ” He made his way to the center of the place and clears his throat, gaining the other visitors’ attention.

“Min Ran sshi, this is for you. I hope you’ll like it! I wrote this song for you. The title of the song is Forevermore,” he flashed his perfect, angelic smile again and he started singing. I was moved to tears by his soothing voice. I’ve never knew that he could sing. I meant he had never told me anything about this. But… I love it…

“Before I end my performance here tonight, let me present this poem I wrote to the most special girl that has entered my life. I hope you enjoy this as well, Minnie~” He smiled and he started rendering the poem.

“You are my gift of love
You are the air I breathe
At night you are the only star I see
As you shine for me

My heart beats for you
Believe me when I say
My love is true

I can hear the birds that sing 
I can see flowers growing beautifully
I can see all these things because
I feel you near to me

I know you love the roses I send 
You make me feel at peace
I pray to God,
Our love will never cease

My spirit takes flight
I am in your arms tonight
My love is like life
It never ends
When I am with you again”

 

The meaning of the poem he wrote is way too meaningful. And again, glistening tears were formed in my eyes and hovered for a moment before they fell wetly upon my cheeks. I just can’t control the flow of it.

“Saengil chukhahae, Minnie! ” He expressed as he paced towards me and held both of my hands but not before he wiped the tears off of my face with his warm thumb. He then leaned down, close to my face. So close that I could feel my heart is about to come out of its place!

As our faces were only about a few centimeters apart, Jinki oppa said in a husky voice, “Saranghae, Min Ran.” Before I could say anything, he pulled me into his embrace by wrapping both of his arms around my waist and the next moment I know, his soft lips were on mine. As if that was not enough, the lingering smell of his scent has sent my knees all wobbly.

I broke the kiss after a while and I smiled at him.

“Oppa…” I called out to him and I pointed to my eyes, showed him the ‘saranghae’ pose, pointed at him and showed him the peace sign.

He beamed and hugged me tightly in his arms, giving me a flying hug.

“I’ve forgotten that today’s my birthday. Gomawo, oppa~ You are the best birthday gift I have ever received ara?” I whispered to his ears in that position and he chuckled.

“And you are my gift from God ara?” He said huskily.

The crowd cheered upon seeing this and eventually one of them with red hair, just about my age or maybe older by a year or two came to us with a pair of padlocks in his hands.

“These are for you guys,” he handed them to us and he winked at Jinki oppa.

“Gomawo, Taem,” he thanked that guy. That guy then bowed before going back to where he was standing.

“Minnie ah, these symbolizes uri sarang,” he showed me the air of padlocks with both our names engraved on them. ‘진기’ on the aqua blue padlock while ‘민란’ on the baby pink padlock. Jinki oppa took them and ‘locked’ them on a specific place. He fixed his gaze upon me before throwing the keys away. (진기=Jinki  /  민란 = Min Ran)

“O-oppa… W-why did you do that?” My eyes went wide at the sight of him throwing the keys away.

“So that nothing in this world can ‘unlock’ our love, Minnie~”