7

The Switch

 

Daehee was tidying up her stuffs when a card dropped from inside her purse. She picked it up and read it.

“Sunhee! OMG I totally forgot to give her a call,” she grabbed her phone, checked if it was a proper time to make a call, and dialed Sunhee’s number.

“Yoboseyo?” said a soft voice from the other side of the phone.

“Sunhee!”

“Ne?”

“It’s Daehee!” Daehee threw her purse on her bed before jumping on to it and cuddling a pillow.

Sunhee’s voice sounded excited. “At last you called! I was figuring out a way to contact you since I don’t have your number. What happened?”

“Sorry, Sunhee. I just found your name card. How are you?”

“Doing just fine. Hey do you think we have any time to meet up?” asked Sunhee. “I have a lot to tell you.”

“About what?” asked Daehee.

“It’s better if you hear it live.”

“Fine. When and where do you wanna meet?”

“How about the café that just opened in Myeong-dong?”

“Sounds great. When are you free? This Friday afternoon, is it okay?”

Sunhee nodded even though she knew Daehee couldn’t see her. “Yep! It’s settled. Friday 4pm, café at Myeong-dong.”

“See you there, Sunhee!”

~~~~~

Daehee pouted while looking out of the window. She had her hands squeezing her seatbelt. Jonghyun who was driving took a few glances at her.

“Anything wrong?”

“Why did I end up being with you again?” asked Daehee.

Jonghyun grinned. “You said you were going to meet an old friend. How can I not come and drop you by? Maybe I can join the chat and you could introduce me to her as…. You know,” Jonghyun hung up his sentence.

“My future husband?” finished Daehee with a question mark.

“There you go! It wasn’t so hard saying it, was it?” teased Jonghyun.

Daehee tried to hide her smile. For the past few weeks, Jonghyun has managed to take place in her heart. He still didn’t know yet.

Daehee and Jonghyun arrived at the café. As they entered, Sunhee saw them already and waved to give signal. Daehee smiled and quickly walked towards Sunhee’s table.

“Song Sunhee! Glad to see you again!” said Daehee as she hugged her bestie.

Sunhee hugged her back. “Of course, pleasure to see you too!”

“By the way, I brought a friend,” said Daehee. “He insisted to come.”

Jonghyun smiled and stretched his hand out to Sunhee. “His name is Dongwoon,” said Daehee.

Jonghyun almost introduced himself as Kim Jonghyun if only Daehee didn’t say so. “Yeah, uhm, hi. I’m Dongwoon,” he said.

After shaking hands with Jonghyun, Sunhee asked them to both sit down. Sunhee then sat down in front of Daehee, leaving the chair on her left empty.

“So you guys, are you dating each other?” asked Sunhee without hesitating.

Daehee almost choked on her own saliva. Jonghyun faked a cough. They both looked at each other. Just when Jonghyun was about to answer, Sunhee held her hand up.

“I know the answer already,” she said. Daehee laughed awkwardly. Jonghyun scratched his head.

Sunhee’s phone started to vibrate. She excused herself as she answered the phone.

“Yes? Oh, right, Jonghyun, what’s up?”

Jonghyun had a mini heart attack when Sunhee called his name. He saw her talking on the phone. She looked serious and ended the call with a laugh. He tilted his head feeling so curious.

“Do you guys mind if my friend joins us?” asked Sunhee.

“No, not at all,” said Jonghyun. Daehee nudged Jonghyun. Jonghyun just replied with a ‘what?!’ face.

The three of them shared a chat for a few minutes. When Dongwoon arrived, Sunhee was the first to notice. She waved to get his attention. Dongwoon then joined the table.

“Hey guys, I hope I’m not interrupting,” said Dongwoon as he took the seat beside Sunhee.

Sunhee smiled. “Daehee, Dongwoon, this is Jonghyun,” said Sunhee.

Dongwoon froze in place. So did Jonghyun. Both of them looked at each other. Sunhee then elbowed Dongwoon. “Introduce yourself,” she whispered.

Dongwoon then bowed lightly to Daehee and Jonghyun. “I’m Kim Jonghyun,” he said, awkwardly, since it wasn’t his name.

Why is the guy in front of me named Dongwoon?

I’m supposed to be Jonghyun, not him!

While Daehee and Sunhee shared their girl time talk, Dongwoon and Jonghyun were busy exchanging glares and minds. At one point their thoughts met. Dongwoon suddenly stood up.

“I need to go to the washroom,” said Dongwoon. Sunhee nodded.

Jonghyun also stood up. Daehee looked at him. “I’ll make a few more orders.”

Sunhee and Daehee both ignored the guys and continued gossiping. Dongwoon made sure the ladies weren’t looking and walked towards the washroom, followed by Jonghyun.

“Hi, let me introduce myself properly,” said Jonghyun.

Dongwoon tilted his head. “You notice something is wrong?”

“Ever since that lady entered my life, I knew something was wrong!” said Jonghyun.

Dongwoon scratched his head. “Is your name Kim Jonghyun?” he asked.

Jonghyun nodded. “And you? Son Dongwoon?”

It was Dongwoon’s turn to nod. Then they both snapped their fingers at the same time.

“Obviously they switched places!” said Jonghyun.

“No, I was thinking this was an accident. Maybe they accidentally come to the wrong person. Wait, did your parents set up a marriage as well?” asked Dongwoon.

Jonghyun nodded. Dongwoon brushed his hair. “What the hell? This world is not so huge after all.”

“If it was an accident, how did they switch places? How did Sunhee ended up being in your house instead of mine? No wonder Daehee introduced herself as Daehee, and she kept calling me Dongwoon!”

“Wait I am still  confused,” Dongwoon stared at the mirror. “So, Daehee is supposed to be with me, and Sunhee is supposed to be with you?”

Jonghyun shrugged. “I guess so.”

“Impossible. How could this happen?”

Jonghyun shook his head. “I have no idea. But you see, they are close friends. Anything could happen. I’m more curious about how all of our parents decided for a marriage between us. I mean, our parents are not related or anything, right? The more I think about it, the more creepy it gets.”

Dongwoon nodded. “I know. What should we do now? Did Daehee arrive at your place the same time Sunhee arrived at mine?”

“It could be like that,” said Jonghyun. “What now? Should we confess already? That I am Jonghyun, you are Dongwoon, and make them switch to their proper places? Wait, no. No we can’t do that.”

Dongwoon shook his head. “I can’t let you take Sunhee.”

Jonghyun coughed. “Pardon me?”

“This whole misunderstanding has led me into an uncontrollable situation. I lived with Sunhee for a few weeks already, you don’t expect me to have some sort of feelings for her?” Dongwoon carefully confessed.

“Dude, this is creepy coz I feel the same way too to Daehee,” said Jonghyun.

“Really? So what’s your suggestion for now?” asked Dongwoon.