Thoughts Debate

Finally.

Glad to know my money was worth it.

Well, that was stupid Jinhee. I though you don’t like them anymore?

Myungsoo looked more vibrant than he was before.

“…and it was a great performance!” Park Jinhee stopped in her tracks and clutched her shoulder bag tightly. She promised herself that this would be her last time seeing Infinite live. Her first and last time. She promised herself that she’d grow up, be a diligent college freshman, and eventually, become a professional neurologist someday. Infinite wasn’t going to be part of her adult life anymore, so she secretly acquired such a rare ticket from a scalper outside the arena.

Why, of all sudden, did she dislike the group? Three words. Kim. ing. Myungsoo.

“Oh wait,” she laughed bitterly. “That’s a bit harsh, Jinhee.” Jinhee secured her shoulder bag’s sling and put her hands on her pockets. She read somewhere that cursing wasn’t fully bad, but can be also taken as a breather towards the resented object, happening… or person. There, she did it, but not vocally.

“I hate you, Kim ing Myungsoo,” she said, but her tone quickly changed in a more vibrant way. “But I hated you, so I guess we’re cool now.”

She had been speaking in monologue for quite a while now. It wasn’t her decision anyway, since she came to the concert alone, and the sidewalk that she was at barely had people. They might think that she was crazy since a girl was talking all to herself, so she toned down her voice enough for her to only hear her own thoughts.

“Hey!” A masculine voice shouted, but Jinhee didn’t bother to look at where he was. Again, it shouted, “hey you! Girl in a black skirt!”

Jinhee turned her head to her right and imagine her surprise at seeing the leader of the band that made her high school life, describing what she wore that night. Idiotically, she pointed at herself questioningly.

“Yeah, you.” Sunggyu motioned her to come closer. Jinhee took a peek on who was inside the van and swiftly counted all of them. They were all complete and sleeping.      

“You’re not a saesang, are you?” He asked, and Jinhee tried hard not to laugh at the sight of his almost-gone eyes.

Nope, just a previous fan. “No,” She replied softly and bowed at him, receiving a questionable expression from Sunggyu. “You guys go home and sleep now, okay? I better go home as well. Have a safe trip.”

Sunggyu cleared his throat, obviously embarrassed. Her direct words sounded harsh; normally he’d anticipate for a squealing voice or an acceptance to any of his favors from the fans, but he hadn’t even requested one from her yet she already finished their conversation.

“I was wondering if you want to hitch for a ride?”

It took her some time to finally answer him back. “Your place’s path is the opposite of mine.” Jinhee bowed again and quickened her pace. Sunggyu shook his head, not wanting to do what he was about to.

“Please stop the car.” He commanded and got out. Sunggyu, ignoring his fatigue from after the concert, jogged and stopped in front of her. “Nope, you’r going home safely. It’s assured that we’re going to be safe since all of us are wearing seatbelts.”

Jinhee smiled genuinely for the first time that night. That action sent Sunggyu a signal that she approved of his bugging request, so he pulled her to their van and had her sat on the foldable front chair.

Already secured by Sunggyu, she sat with her arms crossed. “I didn’t even say yes!”

He raised his shoulders and shook his head slowly. With a pout he said innocently, “you smiled and I thought it was yes!”

“But–“

He sharply put a finger on his lips. “My kids are sleeping.”

“But–“ Jinhee objected more quietly than before, but Sunggyu cut her off again.

“I don’t want an Inspirit in danger.”

“I wasn’t!”

Sunggyu’s eyes became bigger as his index finger pointed at her. “…yet.”

“Thank you for the concern, Sunggyu-sshi.”

“Call me oppa.”

Jinhee looked at him straight in the eyes and slowly nodded. Sunggyu anticipated for it, but she turned her back and silently laughed at s’ sleeping faces and positions.

“Feel free to take a photo of them and post them online.”

“Nah, I’ll keep them for my personal joy.”

“You sly kid.” Sunggyu sneered at her. Jinhee just shrugged her shoulder. Trying to connect to her again, he asked. “Did you enjoy the concert?”

“Very much.” She replied and raised two thumbs up.

“I saw you singing to all of our songs.”

“Yup, I’m taking my One Great Step experience as a lesson to the future concerts that I’ll be attending.”

“Uh, what?” Her confusing statement made Sunggyu answer her with a slurred question.

“You know,” Jinhee said and raised her phone, asking permission if she could text her mom. “Not shouting at concerts so that I could still sing with the band, not taking photos, bringing bottled water inside. The likes.”

“Oh…” Sunggyu’s voice trailed off. The sleeping L croaked from the back, causing laughter for the two. The subject woke up, and this caused Jinhee’s body to tense up.

“Hello,” he waved lazily at her. If she were back to her old state, she could’ve fainted on Sunggyu’s shoulder. “Uh, you hyung’s girl?”

Jinhee lowered her head down and shook her head. Quick, a distraction! She fumbled with her phone and clicked on the music player.  

“Whoa, a big fan of Nell as well?” Sunggyu asked, amused at seeing her complete digital collection of his favorite band’s albums. He was glad to see her face light up as quick as lightning.

“Totally. I’m going to see them in two weeks! I already bought their ticket, and I got a free backstage pass, and eep, I just can’t wait!”

L rested his chin on the seat that Sunggyu and the sleeping Sungjong were occupying. “We’re a family, like, we belong in the same company.”

Sunggyu rolled his eyes at him. “Of course she knows that!” 

Out of her excitement, Jinhee accidentally pressed on her Daum account to which beeped consecutively. She ignored the notification and closed her phone. She wasn’t going to miss this opportunity. Who knows, maybe the group that she previously liked had an idea on what her favorite band was hinting for the past months. Nell had been posting a lot of codes on their social networking accounts, and she hopes that her assumptions on them are real.

“Sunggyu-sshi, I researched on Latin words and the second one that they posted means the time of midnight. The rest were a blur, so I tried my best to arrange them, and the result was a guy was trying to get over a girl.”

“You could say that, but…” he nudged her and asked her name. “Hey Park Jinhee, you look younger than me so I’ll speak to you informally, all right? And you didn’t even call me oppa!”

“It’s not the big deal here, Nell is!” She spoke back. Myungsoo snorted at the older member.

“But kid, that’s a great guess.”

“That’s all you can say?” Snap! Jinhee heard the sound of the camera, then the familiar processing sound of the developing Polaroid photo. She saw L snickering while flapping the photo.

“Hey!” Jinhee and Sunggyu both shouted almost at the same time.

“What? Want another one?”

“No!” She objected firmly, but L took one again, and laughed more heartily. He raised the two photos at the back of the car so she won’t reach him.

Jinhee’s breathed sharply sat back properly to her seat. “Sorry about that,” she looked at Sunggyu, then at L. “Sunggyu oppa, what’s your guess?” Jinhee happened to see the park outside amidst of the dark tint of the van and felt her heart sink at the sight of it. She was home.

“My own one got messed up because of yours. Anyway, I’m glad you got home safe. Nice meeting you Jinhee!” Sunggyu removed her seatbelt for her and waved off.

“Wait, you forgot this!” L quickly handed the first photo where Jinhee and Sunggyu were arguing. A caption below (in messy handwriting) said, ‘I bet you’re right about your theory Jinhee. That was pretty cool. :D’

Jinhee waved at the black car window that drove off almost instantly as she got out. Her shoulder bag hit the ground as hugged her knees and continuously hit her head on them.

“, so much for trying to grow up.” Jinhee muttered. She groaned in frustration and when she felt relieved, she made her way to their apartment’s entrance. Jinhee tried her best not to look at the concierge who probably saw the whole incident.