One Month

Master of Deceit

 

“Jinkyung-ah, I’m really really hungry, could you please hurry?” Eunmi pleaded, grabbing onto my arm and pulling me into the canteen. After Eunmi had bought her extra-large serving of fried rice, we headed off to find a seat, which was nearly an impossible task when the canteen was packed. Then, I saw him. There he was, sitting at a table with a group of boys. I recognized two of them, Sungkyu and Howon. Just upon first glance, it was obvious that group of boys was happy; they were so easy to read. They didn’t even need to smile for me to know they were happy. Their body posture and gestures told me everything. Myungsoo was a whole different case. He was hard to read, perhaps even impossible to. He was practically emotionless. The last time I’d ever seen such lack of emotion was in my father. I naturally cringed upon memory of him; I hated him.

“Okay, let’s go back to class!” Eunmi’s cheerful voice interrupted my thoughts. My eyes widened when I realized that while I was simply looking at Myungsoo and his friends, Eunmi had finished her food while standing. She wasn’t lying when she said she was really really hungry.

“Since I’ve completed the first chapter already, I’ve decided to not teach today! Instead, I will have you all to do a simple introduction. I’ll call upon your name and you’ll walk to the front of the class and briefly introduce yourself. Is that alright?” Not expecting an answer, Mr Kwon continued, “Okay let’s start with Lee Ara.” I felt myself slowly fall asleep as students walked to the front of the class to introduce themselves. One word: boring.

“Jinkyung, Jinkyung. Yah, Nam Jinkyung! It’s Myungsoo’s turn,” Eunmi poked my cheek till I woke up.

“I’m not interested, you can stare at him all you like,” I responded, discreetly turning my head towards the front of the class. He wasn’t there.

“It’s not like they don’t know me,” he sighed without standing up, simply lazily sitting at his seat. Mr Kwon sighed as he called out the next name.

“Nam Jinkyung.”

“Not too much confidence, they’d think you’re full of yourself. Not too little confidence, they’d think you were easy to bully. Simply show enough confidence and sincerity to get everyone to favour you,” I thought as I walked up to the front of the class. Once in front, I gave everyone my best smile and held my head not too high, yet not too low. “Annyeong, Nam Jinkyung imnida. I hope we get along well!” I said, and then walked back to my seat. The rest of the introductions didn’t have much worth to be mentioned. I had, however, noted the characteristics of almost the whole class, with the exception of Myungsoo, of course. He was impenetrable. This class had a couple of over-confidence es, not to mention several narcissistic guys, or two of those who have too little confidence, the rest having a pretty normal personality. Basically, this class was a typical class. 

------------------------------------

A month had passed since then. A typical class led to having typical lessons. Through this month, I had gained the friendship of almost everyone in class. A few es still refused to acknowledge me when I walked past them in the hallways. I saw it in their eyes. They treated me as a threat; they were jealous. Jealousy didn’t cause them to be less vulnerable to my lies. I’m not sure what would cause people to see through my fool-proof lies.

“Who do you think you are, getting everyone to be your friend?!” Minhee screeched.

“I’m just me, Nam Jinkyung,” I firmly stated. She rolled her eyes, and I couldn’t help it. “Did you know, when you roll your eyes, you stretch the nerves that connect your eyes to your brain. During that stretch, some of your brain cells die. You do know how closely interlaced the nerves, brain and eyes are, right? Please don’t hurt yourself more than you’re hurting me,” I widened my eyes to emphasize how terrifying the rolling of eyes was.

“What nonsense!” Minhee scoffed, almost rolling her eyes again, but only to be stopped halfway when she recalled what I had just said. It was priceless. She believed me, word for word.

“Jinkyung-ah, Eunmi-ah, we’re having a party after school, care to join?” Junhyung asked.

“Nah, not today,” I declined politely with a smile.

Junhyung looked at me, then Eunmi, and back at me. A smile had crept its way to his face. “Howon’s going.”

I rolled my eyes. Of course he knew. Eunmi started shaking my arm slightly. If I looked at her now, she would have her large puppy eyes on, along with a pout.

“Fine we’ll go. What’s up, why the sudden party?” I told Junhyung. Eunmi would never forgive me if I had let a chance of her getting together with Howon pass.

“To celebrate our one month of survivng as a class, of course!” I laughed.

“My place, 7PM, okay? Don’t forget!” Junhyung waved.

“Oh my god I love how you are friends with practically everyone! I love you I love you I love you!” Eunmi hugged me.

“… I’m not friends with that many people, actually. I could list those who weren't close to being my friends at all. Myungsoo, Sungkyu, your dearest Howon and the other three who are always with them,” I told her.

“Why don’t you become friends with them? You could become their friend, then introduce me to Howon!” she squealed.

“No.”

“What? Why?!” she whined. It went on that way until she had arrived at her house.

“I’ll be here at 7. You better have gotten over the fact that I won’t be friends with them, if not I’m not going to the party and you’re going to miss me so much you’ll come back home without even a decent conversation with Howon!” I threatened. Eunmi shut up and I smiled.

Eunmi was such an angel; so innocent and gullible. I didn’t make use of her that much though, I didn’t find much joy in lying to her, so I hardly did. 

[A/N] Whoops, crappy chapter which matches my crappy mood today. It'll get better though! Promise~ n____n