Broken Friendship

Master of Deceit

 

"Mum, I'll be heading to the library now," I stated as I cast a glance at my mother before heading out, not the library but instead, to Eunmi's house. Within ten minutes, I had arrived at her house. This was one of the many perks of having your best friend live in your neighbourhood. Before I reached her doorstep, she hopped out of the house and hooked her arm around mine. As usual, she had her hair tied up in two pony tails and had that adorable, irresistible smile constantly plastered on her face. Her eyes naturally smiled and shimmered, anyone could tell she was genuinely happy.

"Have you seen our new class allocation? We're in the same class!" Eunmi squealed as she lightly hopped on the spot. 

"Chincha? That's great! We should go celebrate, my treat!" I announced as I dug into my bag for my wallet. Peering inside, I heaved a sigh. "Eunmi-ah, mianhae, I don't think I have enough to celebrate today." 

"Jinkyung-ah, don't frown today, it's such a good day! I'll treat!" Eunmi smiled at me and shoved my wallet back into my bag.

"Andwae. You've paid too many things for me, I won't let you this time," I told her, persistence evident in both my voice and expression.

"Yah, Nam Jinkyung! Is this what our friendship is to you?" Eunmi frowned. 

“Aniyo, Eunmi yeobo, we’ll do what you like, okay?” I smiled, putting both hands on her shoulders and moving her forward. Our slight argument had caused our progress to the mall to come to a standstill.

“To the mall we go!” Eunmi smiled and grabbed my hand, pulling me along as she started to slightly run towards the mall that was already in sight. I sighed in my mind. Every time I saw Eunmi unhappy because of me, I couldn’t help but feel slightly afraid that she’d find out about everything and leave me because I was such a liar. I wouldn’t be able to live without Eunmi. I had already lost a very dear friend back then when I was a young child. I was foolish, and I lied without thinking. A lie without much thought is a bad lie; a lie that can be seen through easily. Our trust was ruined, thus rendering our friendship broken beyond repair. I couldn’t let my second best friend leave me like that, and I wouldn’t.

Oh who was I kidding? I was a master of deceit. I lied as if I was breathing air. My best friend didn’t leave me because I lied. Our friendship wasn’t ruined because of me. It was because of her! She lied to me. Even if it was a little lie, it still caused a crack in our friendship, eventually causing it to crumble and fall. I could still remember what happened that day, despite my young age.

“How could you lie to me, Park Miyoung!” I screamed, shaking her shoulders with tears pooling at my eyes. I felt betrayed.

“I-I-I didn’t mean to! I’m so so sorry Jinkyung. Please,” she begged with a tear-stained face. Eventually, we patched back. We were kids after all, no argument was too big an argument. However, that was definitely not the case for us. We had to face this problem again, just a day after it had happened.

“Why should I believe you?” I asked, frowning at the thought of her lies just the day before.

“Because, we’re friends!”

“So?”

“Friends trust each other, yknow,” she stated as if it was an evident fact, as she grabbed onto my arm and smiled.

“Then I guess we aren’t friends, since I don’t trust you.”

“J-jinkyung-ah. What do you mean?” Her grip on my arm loosened and I took the chance to fling her hand off my arm.

“You destroyed our trust. Without trust, how can we still be friends? Thanks for showing me that. I’ll keep in mind that friends also make use the trust between them to deceive them.” I glared at her, then walked away from her. Even when her cries were loud and definitely audible, I didn’t turn back to look at her, not once.

From then, I started to be paranoid about everyone around me, even my parents. The thought of them being my foster parents had lingered around my mind for quite awhile. I hardly trusted people. I was so young, yet I understood the concept of trust and friendship so well. This, however, turned out to be something bad, rather than good. The simple lie that Miyoung fed me had caused me to grow into this paranoid girl. Normally, people would forget about the simple lie and live on. I was the weird one who thought so far into it that I became like this. Also because of my young age, I grew up thinking that anyone could be liars. It would be too difficult to change my mind-set, I knew it myself. I would always think that my parents were lying, that teachers were lying, that classmates were lying, that everyone lies. I began to lie as well. Even at as young an age as 7, I was lying. It came as such a pleasant surprise to me that I was able to manipulate my feelings so well that my lies seemed to be hundred-percent true. Lying was like a contagious disease that starts out small, but would end up conquering your entire being, especially when you were a good liar. That was exactly what happened to me. You say lies will always get found out? I guess that's partially correct, but I could always cover it back up with a lie, and nobody would doubt me. That's what you get for being a master of deceit. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[A/N] Heh! Sorry it's such a short chapter, I guess it'll get longer as I progress. Also, I'm sorry if it starts out boring, but there'll be L in the next chapter~ ^-^