Lingering Notes

Yuzuru Hanyu Oneshots

I sat down at the piano, my fingers automatically setting up for the C scale. I started my warmup scale cycle and lost myself in the pattern of my finger running up and down the keys.

Suddenly, the door of the practice room clicked open. Jumping in surprise, I missed the B flat key in my left hand, smacking my index finger on the side.

Cursing softly, I rubbed my finger and turned. As I saw the familiar face mask, I scowled. “Yuzuru, I was practicing!”

“I know.” I marveled how clear his voice was even behind the mask as he sat down next to me. “That’s why I came here.”

“Don’t be sassy.” I turn my back to him to express my annoyance and picked up the G flat scale again.

All the way up to my last scale, Yuzuru was silent. So I turned around and raised an eyebrow. “You didn’t whine like usual.”

“I can wait.”

His soft, perhaps sad voice made me look at him closer. Even though most of his face was covered up by his mask, his eyes were downcast, as if he couldn’t look at me.

I scooted over and patted the piano bench. Once he sat down, I his face mask in an attempt of catching his gaze. “Remember the first time I asked you why you wore this mask?” I smiled. “I thought it was so weird how all the teachers didn’t even question it, even though it was against the dress code. And of course you told everyone it was because of your asthma, even though you wore it when it wasn’t allergy season. And I kept bugging you for weeks because I didn’t believe you.”

He looked up now, mirth dancing in his eyes. “You would remember.” But soon his eyes changed again, a still dark brown like the black walnut grain of a coffin. He sighed. “I came here to tell you something.”

“What is it?”

“I’m moving. Tomorrow.”

“Oh. So soon?”

“The school knows. But I didn’t want to tell anyone until I knew for sure. You’re the first one I’ve told so far.”

I looked at him. “I’m going to miss you.”

His smile wrinkles crinkled. “I know.”

I rolled my eyes. “You are so full of yourself.”

“Only for you, Claire. Only for you,” he teased.

After we finished our elbow war, I turned to him on the piano beach. “You know, for all this time I’ve known you, I don’t know what you look like under that mask.”

He looked at me, and we just stared, as if some magnetic force prevented us from moving. Finally curiosity overcame me, and I started to reach for his mask.

Suddenly, he grabbed my hand. I started, and then turned around, my face burning in shame. “I’m sorry,” I mumbled. I stood up and grabbed my piano books, and turned to leave.

“Wait, Claire!” He grabbed my arm and pulled me towards him, my arms colliding into his chest. He sighed and released me. “I’m sorry.”

“No it’s fine, I shouldn’t have,” I babbled. “I was invading your privacy, I promise I will never do that-“

He put a finger to my lips to shush me. “Can I blind fold you?”

I blinked. “What?”

“Trust me.”

I stared at him, and then sighed. “Fine.” I closed my eyes.

Twenty seconds later, I felt a soft fabric cover my eyes. His deft fingers tied it gently but firmly around my head. I felt him take the books away from arms, and set it on the piano bench.

And then his lips met mine. Pulsing wings that flew me into a sky I did not that had existed-

When cold air met my face, I quickly took off the blindfold, but it was too late. He had disappeared.

I stood there for a few seconds, in a daze, with a Pooh handkerchief in my hands that smelled of Yuzuru’s hugs.