010

Tales of the Prince and the Scholar

a/n: sorry this took so long

 

---

 

Onew was clearly familiar what the emblem means. He wanted to know the truth but he also needed to protect Sora. He gripped the gun he hid on his back and drew it, pointing it to the door when he heard shuffling sounds. He is a prince but not the one who needs protection everytime.

 

People think that royals enjoyed the security their guards provided them, but in reality, they hated the way people die for them. His grandfather had made sure his lineage would be trained in case they needed to, he didn't want helpless royals hiding beneath the bed when war rages, he wanted them to be front liners.

 

Onew and Taemin had been trained since they were young but only enough to protect themselves. So as the door slid open, Onew held the gun tightly and aimed at the man.

 

Put that down.” the man who entered said but Onew held his ground.

 

Not until you tell me the truth!” Onew demanded.

 

Put it down.” The man growled.

 

Then give me what I want to know.” Onew shouted.

 

Jungsoo.” They heard the faint call from the pregnant Sora and both men turned to look at her, pale and fragile.

 

Onew then knew what would make the man at his mercy. “The truth for her life, choose.” Onew uttered and the man was wide eyed and knelt before the prince. “Who are you?” Onew asked and the man raised his eyes and pointed to the emblem that the prince was holding.

 

they call me by the name Leeteuk, I am born and raised to be a royal guard, a protector of the blue blooded.” He spoke slow. “I am on an important uty to protect the emperor, your grandfather sire.” Leeteuk finished and Onew dropped his gun to the side.

 

My grandfather?” He asked and Leeteuk nodded.

 

 

'I can bring you to him if you permit.” Leeteuk spoke.

 

Rise, your wife needs you.” Onew then took a step away and out of the room, silently closing the door behind him as he faced Minho and Jonghyun.

 

Onew hyung!” Minho called out. “It seemed that Minister Changmin has sent in his troops to stop you from reaching Hwaseong.” He informed the prince.

 

We need to leave for Mokpo soon.” Onew announced and looked at Jonghyun. “How soon can we depart?” He asked when a voice answered for him.

 

It is best that you stay for the night my son, it is far too dangerous for you to travel at an hour. At daybreak, you depart after breakfast.” grandfather Sooman spoke as he walked towards the three.

 

I believe that you have questions for me dear prince.” Sooman uttered, settling to sit on one of the cushions. “I am all ears.” He said as he gestured for the three to take their seats as well.

 

Leeteuk stepped out of the room and went to the kitchen to prepare them some tea, Sooman gladly accepted it and told the guard to sit.

 

Speak, my son.” Sooman uttered and Onew looked at him in the eye.

 

Who are you?” Onew asked and the old man laughed heartily.

 

And I thought my grandson would be a smart one.” He said then stared at Onew with serious eyes. “You do not recognize your own kin?” He asked and Onew glared at him.

 

He's dead!” Onew shouted.

 

They made everyone believe i died to protect the throne and the kingdom. To establish peace amongst the people, the old man has to die and my son had made sure to keep it that way until all enemies of the court had been put into their rightful places.” Sooman uttered.

 

You lied.” Onew had hsi fist clenched, knuckles turning white already.

 

To protect our country, it's the only thing i could do.” Sooman paused. “If i stepped down, the ministry whose blood has been stained with greed will take over the throne and what will happen to the defenseless civillians? They are planning to rage war against China, a nation far too powerful for us to battle.” Sooman explained.

 

I understand the complexity of the decision we made, but to ensure the children will have their deserved future, sometimes extreme measures are bound to be executed, faking death is just one of it.” Sooman continued.

 

Jinki, you will only understand when you've tried to sacrifice everything for that one thing you fight for, and my life is something small to offer to a country i deeply love and countrymen that I truly treasure.” Sooman finished and Onew took deep breaths.

 

It's just unfair.” Onew brokedown, tears now falling from his eyes. “I lived on lies for the past 2 decades of my life.” He stated. “You were so dear to me grandfather, you were my ally and protector.” he said and Sooman opened his arms for Onew.

 

My precious sweet son, come here.” He gestured for Onew who stood and sat next to him, leaning in to embrace the grandfather he missed so much. “I will return to the royal palace once the evil has been contained, but until then, I wish you good fortune. The whole country is upon your shoulder my little prince, but you have to bear with it's weight to proect those who cannot protect themselves.” Sooman said then kissed the prince on his head. “Live your title with pride, and serve the people who look up to you.” He finished and looked at the prince and smiled.

 

Make your country proud dear prince. Your mission must succeed for the good of this country.” He said and onew nodded, wiping the tears with the palm if his hand

 

I will grandfather.” he said and then stood to bow.

 

Sooman smiled and turned to Minho. “It's been so long since I saw the little Choi, Siwon had been proud of showing me. How's your father?” He asked and Minho showed him a small smile.

 

He's been well your majesty. He's the undersecretary for the ministry of Defense.” Minho replied.

 

Ah, the brave dark horse has earned his place.” Sooman smiled. “D'you hear that my white angel?” Sooman asked and Leeteuk smiled at him and nodded.

 

He has done good so far your majesty.” Leeteuk replied.

 

And Jonghyun, my son.” He called out and the boy bowed in response. “Please take care of my grandson like what you've done for me and Sora in the past. Your skills has been honed through experience and your heart to protect the innocent is beating strongly. I do wish I have a princess to marry you off. I would love you to be part of my family.” He uttered and Jonghyun blushed at the words of the old king.

 

I hold the honor to receive such trust from his highness.” he replied.

 

Very well, you will need to rest for now, I will not take more of your time.” Sooman then stood to leave. “Take care my prince.” He uttered, a hand gently cupping Onew's face.

 

Onew and the rest bowed as Sooman left the house to rest on his own nearby. Onew then closed his eyes and took in deep breaths.

 

I will find Kim Youngwoon's heir and bring those devils down.” Onew uttered.

 

----

 

a/n: sorry, I actually lost track of the plot for this but i am trying to rebuild it from the down. So uhm, yes another secret revealed for you guys, but there's more coming up so be prepared for it.

 

Next update would be a new arc