I

Rose

Dara sighed for the nth time today... “Where is he?She softly asked to no one. She’s been sitting on one of the swing on the playground located behind SM building for 4 hours now... It’s been 4 hours now..

 

But it’s not the first time she waited for him this long…

 

Flashback

“Hello? Are you still busy?” Dara excitedly said over the phone.

 

Her smile instantly vanished as soon as she heard the guy, “Dara, I’m so sorry but we still have rehearsals today.” She could only smile bitterly and tried to put a brave face.

 

“Can you excuse yourself for a while and meet me?” Dara pleaded but the noisy music on the background isn’t letting him hear her, “I’m really sorry, Dara. Let’s go out next time, neh?” he promised.

 

“B-but oppa, it’s—“ the guy shouted “bye!” on the other end not letting her finish what she was about to say.

 

“But it’s my birthday today…” she whispered to her phone as she wiped the tears that was able to escape her pretty eyes. She walked nearer to the bar across the street that she was standing all along. She locked her gaze at one person who was enjoying his drink with friends, dancing with the loud music… the person she talked on the phone a while ago.

 

“I wish you were more honest with me,” she took one last look and walked her way back home.

 

4 hours... Nah it’s just a short time compared to those days she waited for him all day long… yet he didn’t appeared at all. Honestly, she’s getting tired being taken for granted by the man she loved but she knew she’ll never get tired of loving the guy. Many times she wanted to end things with him but she just can’t. She loved the guy so much that even thinking about being away from him breaks her heart.

 

“Dara, why are you here?” a voice suddenly interrupted her thoughts. A deep voice that is hauntingly beautiful and like music to her ears, the voice that rejected her too many times. “I thought you went home already”

 

“I waited for you, oppa. Let’s go home together,” she smiled at him so sweetly, hiding the pain that she’s feeling.

 

“How long have you been waiting here?” his cold voice echoed on her mind like the snow threatening to fall that very afternoon.

 

“Fo— that doesn’t matter, oppa. Im not bored anyway” she lied.

 

Don’t be stubborn, Dara. Go home now. Your parents might get mad at you.” he turned around and was about to walk back inside the building.

 

“We promised to love each other until forever back then,” Dara said firmly causing the guy to stop on his tracks. “Don’t you love me anymore? Can’t you love me back? I’ll do everything for you!” The guy just remained silent. “Am I not pretty enough for you? Am I not good enough to be an idol’s girlfriend?”

 

The guy just looked down, not wanting to see Dara’s face right now.

 

“Can you just at least pretend to like me again just this once?” Dara pleaded with her soft angelic voice. She bit her lip to stop herself from crying. Yes, she knows how pathetic she is right now but she doesn’t care.

 

The guy clenched his fists, “Go home and don’t come back here again. Just forget about me. The thing about us was all in the past now. You know that I won’t love you back today, tomorrow, or even in my next lifetime… so go.” And the guy finally left without even saying goodbye.

 

And just like that Dara was left alone again. The then clear sky now blurred with white snowflakes falling all together on the ground. She sat back down on the swing and held the cold steel handle firmly, her knuckles turning white. She looked up the sky and closed her eyes.

 

“Oppa is just as cold as this snow… or maybe a lot colder than them,” she murmured not feeling the icy sensation stinging her skin. “Why did you change?” she asked more to herself. Her tears streaming down with her hopes of being loved back by him crashing down in her very face.

 

“Should I stop now?” she sobbed in the middle of the pouring snow wanting to be emotionless right there and then.

 

 

Two years later

 

“Hey, man! How are you? I heard Dara will be guesting along with us today... Are you ready?” Xiumin asked his friend. “And aren’t you curious why she’s suddenly here? I mean, it’s a special episode just for us, right? A goodbye episode before we enlist in the military?”

 

“I also thought of that too, hyung. Maybe she’s a guest MC? What do you think, Kris-hyung?” Luhan butted in.

 

Kris just shrug his shoulder and continued fiddling with his phone, wearing his famous poker face. But actually he’s nervous as hell inside. He had never seen Dara face to face for two years now. He missed the girl so much, every freaking day of his 2 years… And his friends knew that very well, that that poker face of Kris is just his front to hide his emotions. His friends knew him very well that when it comes to Dara, he becomes the softest and the gentlest man he could ever be.

 

Flashback

 

“Kris, who’s that girl you’re always with?” his manager asked.

 

“That’s Dara. My best friend and my girlfriend,” he smiled at the thought having introduced the beautiful Dara to people as his own. They met even before Kris became an idol. They went to the same high school where their love story began.

 

“Girlfriend? You know that’s not possible right? Especially now that you’re an idol. Fans are possessive, they don’t want some girl sharing with their oppa,” the manager seriously said subtly hinting what he wanted for Kris to do about the situation.

 

“But, hyung. I can handle all the fangirls… I just can’t leave Dara because of those possessive fans. I love her so much and I can’t live without her,” Kris could only frown with the idea of breaking up with the girl he dreamed of marrying someday. “I’ll make it a secret then, hyung. Don’t worry… fans won’t know about –“

 

Kris didn’t finish his trance when his manager threw pictures on the table; pictures of him and Dara walking on the side street, sitting on the swing, eating on a ramen shop with hands clasped together, eyes filled with love and smiles full of adoration for each other. “You know who gave this to me? A group of fans saying that if you won’t stop meeting with the girl, either they’ll make a petition of kicking you out of EXO—“

 

“Then kick me out, hyung! I don’t care! I won’t leave Dara!” he shouted letting all the frustrations he’s feeling since he became a part of the idol world. “I’ll give up everything for her, hyung so please... don’t let me choose.” he added so sincerely.

 

“Let me finish, Kris. I’m all okay if they’ll just do a petition but we all know they won’t stop there. They know where Dara lived. They know Dara’s family and friends, even Dara’s pets. They will do anything just to hurt her and hurt you if you won’t grant their request.” The worried tone of his manager made Kris anxious now. “You already know what fans could do, right? You should have known that from your sunbaes…”

 

Damn it, hyung! How could I forget about that? What should I do? I don’t want Dara to get bullied or hurt by those crazy fans… Hyung, can you talk to them? Tell them not to hurt her…” Kris was close into tears. Just a thought of Dara suffering because of him is just plain torture.

 

He left the room after that talk and went to the playground at the back of their building. It is one of his favorite breathing space especially when he’s with Dara… no, every place is his favorite place whenever he’s with the one he loves. He sat on the grass and bend his knees. Maybe, if I let her go now, she’ll be okay…” He said to his self.

 

From that day, he started treating Dara like an invisible human being. He always try to make her feel worthless and unimportant so that the girl would just leave him alone. But Dara made it so hard for him to that. Dara stayed with him even if he just took her for granted for a long time. He wanted to punch himself every time Dara cried because of him.

 

When Dara decided to stay away from him, he felt like the whole world just crash right before his eyes. It’s like his life ended too. He barely ate. He barely slept. He barely rest. And he never smiled again… that genuine smile that he only had when Dara’s still there.

 

“Hi.” Kris froze as soon as he heard the voice outside their dressing room. That voice he knows so much that he could recognize it in his sleep; that disturbingly beautiful voice that’s like music and a nightmare at the same time. “Oh? Neh. I don’t know why I’m invited too…” the girl answered someone behind the door.

 

The other members of EXO inside the room heard the girl’s voice too and diverted their gaze to their friend who was standing rigidly near the door. Their stares urging Kris to go out and talk to the girl, to clear everything out… to clear everything that happened two years ago.

 

After that day, Kris never heard anything about Dara. All he knew that Dara quit school and their family transferred residence the next day. Two months when he saw Dara on the television, debuted as the newest endorser for ELLE Korea. Her beauty captured many investors, producers and directors that she was offered to act in a movie that she gladly accepted it. Series of commercials, TV guesting, magazine shoots, and dramas then followed and after a year, Dara was recognized as one of the Top Actress/Model of her generation.

 

Of course, Kris was proud of what Dara has achieved but he can’t help himself to feel guilty. What if Dara just joined showbiz because of him? He then remembered Chanyeol saying, “Everything is not about you, Kris.” Yes, maybe he was just overreacting but he can’t help it and he’s too worried that Dara might stressed herself too much.

 

“You won’t talk to her, hyung?” Luhan interrupted his thoughts.

 

“What would I tell her?”

 

“That you loved her before, you’re loving her now, and you’ll always love her until you die?” Luhan innocently asked.

 

Kris smiled. Yes, a genuine one. The members were shocked to see Kris smile again. He then ruffled his younger member’s hair, “Aiishh, Luhan... Where did you learn all these things? Have you been in love before?” The younger guy couldn’t find words to answer his hyung. He too was amazed on how Dara’s voice could bring back Kris’ smile in one snap.

 

Kris smiled to his friends, “I guess, this will be a new beginning for me... Fighting!” Right at that moment, he decided to talk to Dara and tell her everything she didn’t know. Dara-ah, I will get you back and won’t ever let you go. He said on his mind.

 

 

One hour later (at the set)

 

The others wanted to go swimming and camping before going inside the military, you, Kris-ssi, what would you like to do then? For your fans or for your special someone…” the MC asked the happy Kris. Everybody noticed his changed in aura… he seemed so excited and jolly all of a sudden, too far from the poker face Kris they always see on TV.

 

Ah, we are planning to hold a fan meeting tomorrow to temporarily say goodbye to our very supportive fans, to say thank you to them for supporting every step of the way.” He cleared his throat and continued, “And also, I would like to meet a special someone whom I didn’t see for almost two years and try to make up things between us.” he confessed earning “oooh” from the audience.

 

Oh, interesting. Is she your girlfriend? Who is she?” the MC asked. Everybody went silent and anticipated for his answer… the audience, the staff, even his band members waited for what he’s going to say.

 

“She’s—“

 

“Ah, I’m sorry Kris-ssi... we’ll go back to you later cause we have a surprise visitor here. Please welcome, the most sought leading lady of this generation, Ms. Dara Park.” the crowd cheered for a very pretty Dara and some even gave her a standing ovation. The EXO members also stood up and bowed at the newly arrived lady.

 

Everyone was clapping their hands and smiled for her meanwhile Kris just stood there stiffly, too dazed seeing Dara entered the set. He was beyond stunned by her beauty. She was wearing a white cocktail dress falling up to her knees. Her hair was down colored in brown and has streaks of gold. She wore a silver necklace that Kris thought he saw that necklace somewhere before.

 

Dara gracefully walked to the guests’ side of the stage and bowed to the audience before bowing to them… to him. Kris could only bow his head awkwardly for he can’t break his gaze from the perfection unfolding before his very eyes. And then she smiled at him. A smile that could cause millions of boys go crazy… Kris’ heart pounded loudly against his chest. Calm down, heart. You can talk to her later. Just calm a bit. He lectured his self.

 

“I guess everybody right now is curious on why Dara-ssi is here with us today. I bet Ms. Dara is confused as well…” the MC said bringing Kris back to reality. He noticed Dara’s hands was sweating while she stutters “n-neh” innocently causing the others to laugh.

 

She’s always like that when she’s nervous.” He whispered to Luhan who was still gaping at Dara.

 

“Dara-ssi is here due to a request by a certain someone. He said before he would enlist to the military, he must do this no matter what happens…” the MC mysteriously said. Everyone was shocked to see Chanyeol entering from the back carrying a guitar and a bouquet of flowers.

 

He bowed to the people at the set and walked closer to Dara. He handed him the beautiful pink flowers he got from a special flower shop nearby and got his guitar ready.

 

“Annyeong! I’m Chanyeol from EXO.” he shyly started. “I really wanted to this before I serve the military and I wanted everyone to be our witness. I have been courting this beautiful lady here for 7 months and just last month she said yes to me…” he proudly stated and started to strum his guitar.

 

All the time Chanyeol was singing for Dara, Kris couldn’t remain still on his seat. He knew Chanyeol was crushing on Dara even before they were still rookies in the entertainment world but to the point that Chanyeol courted Dara, he was blind all along. He gulped and thought to himself, Please tell me I’m not too late. He suddenly went nervous when Chanyeol knelt down in front of Dara, his face full of nervousness and happiness at the same time.

 

“Dara-ah, I make ‘harana’ to you. You liked that right? That’s how Filipino’s express their love to someone. And I love you so much Dara… I can’t even think of a single second that I’m sad whenever I’m with you,” tears of joy streamed down Chanyeol’s face. He pulled out a small velvet box from his pocket and said, “I want you to wait for me till I come back from the military, have a family and grow old together. I want you to be mine forever.” Everyone was still silent and some are already in tears seeing Chanyeol propose to the girl she loved in live TV coverage.

 

“Dara-ah, will you marry me?” Everyone on the studio gasped at what Chanyeol has said then started cheering for him and Dara, “Say, yes!!” “So sweet... Please accept him, dear Dara!” “OMG Please get married soon” “Yes juseyoooo” and so on…

 

Kris’ clenched his fists and hold on to his chair tightly, “Please say no…” he prayed on his mind.

 

Dara hugged the kneeling Chanyeol and let him stand up. She wiped the guy’s tears with her own palms and dabbed her hanky to the guy’s sweaty face. She kissed Chanyeol’s right cheek and smiled at him so sweetly,

 

 

 

Yes, I will marry you Chanyeol-ah.”

 

 

 

Two years later

 

Two years have passed. Today was the last day of Kris’ military service. He gathered his things and sighed deeply… Funny as it may seem but he doesn’t want to go out yet. What for? When Chanyeol got out of the military too, he and his beloved Dara will get married.

 

Yes, he is still in love with the girl. Actually, he never love any other girl except for Dara. He hated himself for being weak and coward before, taking Dara away from his life. And he thinks, he could never ever forgive himself for letting go of the only happiness he really wanted to be in his life.

 

 

Kris chose to be discreet about his military discharge for he doesn’t want reporters and fans gather around him when he get out. It may seem selfish but he really wanted time off for himself… alone and away from the suffocating world of idols.

 

He decided to go straight to their house in Busan. There, he could relax and breathe fresh air even for a short while. As soon as he took his seat, he wear his earphones and closed his eyes. He just sleep during the whole ride home that he didn’t notice the girl who sat next to him.

 

Four hours… Four long hours have passed when the bus arrived at the destination.

 

Kris furrowed his brows as he noticed a small girl sleeping next to him with her head leaning on his lean shoulders. She was wearing a snapback that was covering her face. “Hey, excuse me… We’re here.” then he softly shook the girl’s limp body to make sure she wakes up.

 

“Aish. Shut up and let me go back to sleep. Aiiish... Babooooo…” the girl hissed as a response with her eyes still closed. She hugged Kris’ arms and went back to sleep.

 

Kris smiled as he remembered someone who always do that when she’s disturbed on her sleep… “Dara,” he whispered.

 

 

“WHAT?? Can you keep quiet?? the girl stood up angrily and pound Kris’ head. She stomped her feet like a kid having tantrums. She fixed her snapback and clear the stray hair that’s covering her face. “Can’t you see I’m still sleeping?? Why are you so noi—“

 

 

“Kris??!/Dara??!”

 

“Why are you here??!/You’re here too??!”

 

“Speak first!!/You talk first!”

 

“Aisssshh/Heoool!” the two said in unison. They’re like parrots having a synchronize system.

 

“Are you following me here??” Dara said.

 

“Hello? I just got out of the military. And why are you sleeping on my shoulder?! It hurts!!” Kris retorted back.

 

“Huh. If I only know it’s your shoulder, I should’ve not leaned on it!!!” Dara shouted in return.

 

“You just want to take advantage—“ -- Kris.

“Ha ha. You wish, Mr—“ -- Dara.

 

“SHUT UP!!! You two, if you’re getting off here, please go down now!! You’re delaying our trip!!” the bus driver shouted at Kris and Dara which stopped them from bickering with each other. The two just rolled their eyes and went down the bus together.

 

They walked their way home side to side in comfortable silence. Kris was brave enough to break it though,

 

“Why are you here?” he asked her softly with his face looking straight on the street.

 

“I wanted to go away from the city for a while. My parents lived here,” Dara answered not facing him too.

 

“I’m also having my vacation here, at my grandparent’s house… Wow, what a small world,” he smiled at her. Maybe we’re just meant to be together, she shamelessly thought to himself.

 

“Yeah, maybe we’re just meant to be together,” Dara chuckled on her own remark.

 

Kris’ eyes went wide, “Are you a mind-reader now?”

 

Dara laughed at his reaction, “Nah. I just guessed what’s on your mind basing on your facial expressions,” and the two laughed at their silliness.

 

As soon as their laughter faded, “Dara…” Kris called.

 

“Hmmm?” Dara raised her brows.

 

“I have something to tell you…” Kris seriously told her and held her hands that was swaying on her side. “I still—“

 

Dara stopped from talking and faced him, “You don’t have to tell me that, Kris. That can’t change anythin...

 

 

 

I’m married now.” she said sadly.

 

 

Kris was taken aback. His legs shook from what he heard and he felt like his soul just left his body. He was about to break down into tears but Dara smiled brightly and stick out her tongue before running.

 

When she was two blocks away from Kris, she shouted, “Just kidding! I know everything now, Chanyeol told me! We decided to break it off cause he knows I’m still in love with you!!!”

 

Dara then smiled again…

 

Kris doesn’t know how to react and even though Dara was a little bit far from him at the moment, he could still picture out her perfect smile.

 

He closed his eyes and thanked God silently, “If this is a dream, don’t wake me up.” He mentally prayed.

 

 

Kris put his hands around his mouth and shouted back, “DARA!!! I AM SO SORRY!! I PROMISE NOT LET GO OF YOU AGAIN!! I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH!!! WILL YOU MARRY ME???”

 

 

Dara wiped her tears using the back of her palms, she can’t help but cry at what’s happening now… Finally, after four long years…

 

She exaggeratedly inhaled deeply and answered Kris back,

 

 

“YES!!! YES!!! I WILL MARRY YOU, KRIS!! I LOVE YOU TOO!!”

 

 

 

 

-----

 

Chanyeol smiled bitterly as he watched the two happily held each other’s hands. He turned around and headed for his car.

 

"Although it hurts me so much, I’m still wishing for the two of you to have the best in life." He softly said and threw the rose that he planned to give to Dara once he found her.

He decided to take back what he said to her when he decide to let her go but he knew he was just too late now. No, he was never too late because he knew very well that it was Kris right from the very start. It would still be Kris all along, whom Dara could feel genuine happiness.

 

He looked back again and stared for Kris and Dara’s retreating back.

 

"Dara, you're just like a rose, so beautiful yet your love for him is just like thorns that's slowly killing my heart...

 

 

Goodbye, Dara. Don't worry, I’ll still love you even in my next lifetime…" He stepped on his engine so hard and decided to continue his incomplete life back in Seoul.

 

 

 

-----