The Cleansing - Final

The Cleansing

            Living, such useless word, no one understands that living is worse than death. Living in such worthless world is worse than going to hell. This place should be cleansed from all bad, that way living won’t be so dreadful.

            Regret, is non-existent in my life, all I’ve done is for good. My deed for this world is done. I no longer need to live, I have no purpose. My time is now over, it’s either get caught and be accused of being in the wrong or end it here and get accepted into the vast open skies.

            They’ve caught me.
“Freeze! Put your hands on your head and remain still! We won’t hesitate to shoot!” the police shouted as they stormed through the roof door. I turned around and smiled.

            School, the worst place to be in, it’s almost like a prison. Now I know what you’re thinking, what could be so bad about a private boarding school? Well everything, from the teachers, to the students, to the classrooms, and lastly the work. The teachers here all picked their favorite students and of course they also pick their least favorite. This school simply works as if everything is a competition, Who has the best grades, who has the better parents, who has the most money, who has-. My thoughts were interrupted as the bell rang signaling that lunch was over. As I walked to my classroom a paper plane came flying my way, but of course I didn’t see it coming for I always walk with my eyes glued to the ground, the paper plane got me right in the eye. I looked up only to see Wu Yifan getting many high-fives and praises as his group of friends all laughed at me. I quickly walked to class with the paper plane in hand.

            I found my seat at the back of the classroom and quickly sat down. I took the paper plane and opened it. You’re such a stupid loser. This is just a reminder to you Freak, you’re really ugly! No one will ever love someone like you! Now go cry in the bathroom like the stupid weakling you are. You should learn you’re place by now and quit fighting for yourself. You know it’s useless... no one wants to listen to a freak. Anyway I heard Namjoon wanted to meet you after gym. I crumbled up the piece of paper out of anger. Who does he think he is!

            The classroom was filled in with people and finally the teacher came in. We started off reading about Greek mythology. Suddenly the teacher decided to pick me to read, this I knew was an opportunity for him to point out my flaws. I started reading, but I was not loud enough, and I didn’t pronounce some words correctly.

“Stop. Why can’t you read correctly! It’s pronounced __. Read it again.” I stayed silent for a while before I did as he asked, but he stopped me again and then told me to stay after class.

            After class had ended everyone packed their things and left, I on the other hand just sat there staring at nothing until Mr. Jung stood in front of me. He had his normal punishment stick in hand which he usually used it on those that were late, well only the guys. He had a different form of punishment for the girls which was embarrassing them in front of everyone. He hit me many times with that stick, it hurt but I’ve grown used to physical pain.

            He released me shortly after that, I was late to gym so I rushed and nearly ran to class. When I got there it had already ended. Then I remembered that Namjoon wanted to see me and I knew this wasn’t gonna be a pleasant meeting.

            “So you did show up” His grin was showing a slight evilness. He started approaching me as I walked backwards. I hit the wall with my back, his hand landed right beside my head.
“Quit trying to run, it’s quite useless.” Useless it was, so I just allowed his beatings, I was left on the floor, unable to move. Once I could move again I limped my way back to my dorm, I skipped the rest of the day’s classes.

            Once I reached my dorm I crawled up into a ball right at the entrance of the room. I started crying, I don’t deserve this, these people who are they to make me suffer. As I started thinking of how wrong these people were, I started realizing that this school needed to be cleansed, I’d make it a clean school where no one gets hurt. But to do this I must get rid of those who are bad.

            I know a way you could do it.
What was that? I started frantically looking around. No one else was in my room.
            I’m not there, I’m here. Now, you want revenge right?
Yes... Where are you?
            I’m right here inside of your head. Now listen closely as to what I’m about to say. The only way to cleanse this school is to simply put down all the bad people. Walk to your small kitchen and open up the first drawer.
Okay... I followed the voice’s instructions, as I opened the drawer I saw it was full of different kitchen knives. What is this! Is this really the only way...
            Yes, it’s the only way, now grab one.
My hand immediately grabbed a knife without my consent, I didn’t want this... I dropped the knife. No!
            Pick it up.
No! I held my hands up to my ears as I crouched down and started rocking myself back and forth, my tears came back.
            Come on. Do you want anyone else to go through what you’ve been through? Do you want to see other people suffer when they’ve done nothing wrong? Quit being selfish and do your deed. You must protect those innocent souls. Now please, pick up the knife.
My tears stopped, my shaking was apparent but I crawled up to the knife and grabbed it. Slowly the flickers of worry all disappeared. I was in control of the knife, I had control.

            Instantly I got up, I was full of confidence to be able to cleanse this school of all evil. I know exactly who the first one that should be gone, Ok Taecyeon. He’s the first one who started calling me a freak, the first one to physically hurt me, the first one to torment me, the first one to break me. If I wait just a bit, I’ll find him at soccer practice, I know he’s the last one to leave so I’ll get him there.

            I waited and during that time I grabbed some black leather gloves, and a black hoodie. I hid the knife inside my pocket. I soon set out to find Taecyeon, I found him exactly where I thought I would, and I found him alone. I was hiding around the corner, he was walking towards me, I gripped the knives handle harder and soon I pulled him over. He struggled against my hold and I simply got the knife and pressed onto his neck, enough to scare him but not to cut him. I shushed him up quite quickly.

            “W-What are you doing” I could tell he was frightened and that only fueled my thirst for his bloodshed. “P-please s-stop...” I shook my head behind him and a smirk found its way onto my face. He started crying “I-I’m s-sorry I’ll b-be better p-please... P-please! Ple-” I stabbed him right in the neck, then the stomach, and lastly his chest. His blood splatter all over me, his body went limp and I simply dropped him, it was game over for him. His blood was starting to pool around him. I left the bloody scene after making sure that had I left no evidence behind.

            I entered my room and washed the blood soaked gloves and jacket. I took the knife and washed it as well. I then sat on my bed and started rocking back and forth once more.
            You did the right thing. He deserved that, it’s only right for it to end that way.
If I did the right thing then why does it feel like I’ve done something horribly wrong?
            It’s because you’re scared but you shouldn’t be, no one will find out that it was you who did that. Trust me. No one will know you of all people ended him.
Okay... I’ll trust you...  I did that right thing.

            The following day they found Taecyeon’s cold body, everyone was shocked, but no one suspected me. They all thought it was some sick minded jealousy driven guy on the soccer team, Minho I believe, they kicked him out. Everyone carried on with their lives after the shock faded, although some were living in fear that they’d be next.

            During this time everyone was preparing for some festival that occurs once every year, while I was preparing for the next step in cleansing this place. I found some ropes lying around. I suspect it’s for the festival. I’m not on the preparation committee, but Namjoon is, if only I could find a way to make it seem like an accident.

            Everyone was on their lunch break and Namjoon had asked to see me once more, he had the intentions of beating me up, but he wasn’t getting what he wanted. I once again wore my black leather gloves but this time there was no knife. There was only an impatient Namjoon and a rope hanging close to where he stood. I approached him slowly, and it seemed as if he still didn’t acknowledge my presence. I grabbed the rope and quietly made a noose knot. I put the rope around his head making him jump.

            “What the hell?!” I ran away and found the other end of the rope, I pulled it down and I saw his feet lift from the ground. He frantically struggled trying to free himself but it was too late. His face started turning blue as his air was being cut off, and finally he fell limp. I tied the rope that I held to a railing beside me. I grabbed a chair and put it close to where he hung. I ran out and put my gloves into my backpack. I resumed my day as if nothing had happened. What I did was for good.       A loud scream resounded throughout the whole entire school, Suzy, a first year student, had found his lifeless body.

            I am going crazy. All I hear are hushed whispers ‘Why would he kill himself?’ they keep questioning his supposed suicide. At the very moment Suzy is visiting the schools counselor, the scene made her frightened to the bone.

Am I really doing what’s best?
            Yes, you are, so don’t you even dare try and stop. You still have four more.
But... aren’t I hurting people? People who are innocent...
            No, you aren’t. No one is getting hurt. Just trust me and I’ll make sure this place is cleansed.
Okay... if you say so... I trust you...

            It was lunch time once again, but I usually never got to eat. My lunch was always taken away from me by Bang Yongguk, but this time he’d suffer the consequences. I got a little bottle out of my pocket and emptied it contents on the food. I looked back at the bottle and saw the tiny skull on the lid. I smirked and then proceeded to find a spot. Like usual Yongguk approached me and took my lunch.

            “Thanks freak. I was getting hungry. Hey maybe I’ll pay you back one day” He laughed and I looked down and hid my smirk. He ate most of the lunch but soon he started having problems breathing. He quickly got up and went to the bathroom, he never came out.

            I am about fifty-percent done with my task. I should hurry up and finish it. They’ll start thinking something’s odd if I don’t. Now, what other events are coming up, the science fair, the dance competition, the... swim tournament. Found it, Jessica you won’t know what hit you.

            I analyzed her schedule, she goes to class, then she goes to swim practice, then she leave to eat, a few hours later she goes back to practice her swimming by herself. It has perfect timing. I follow her schedule and wait until she enters the pool area and starts swimming. I wait until she seems tired, and as she’s about to get out of the pool, I push her head back into the water, she starts struggling but I keep her head down in the water.

            She was found in the pool, her face was all bloated up, but no one knew how she drowned. As time passed by I slowly became even crazier, I needed to finish this so that I could be sane once more. I was heading to Mr. Jung’s classroom, he had called me in for some unknown reason. I had a plastic bag in hand as I walked towards the room, it was after hours when everyone was busy with sports or clubs. I entered his class with the bag behind my back.

            “You asked for me Mr. Jung?” He picked his gaze up from his work. His smile was creepy. He stood up and walked closer to me, he then leaned down enough to whisper in my ear.

            “I know your secrets.” My eyes widened in fear. I would not let him continue. I quickly took the plastic bag and put it over his head. He didn’t struggle he simply accepted his end. The last thing I heard from him was... “You’re too late.”

            Soon after he fell from my grip panic overtook me. I ran all the way to my room and locked the door. I wasn’t finished. I have to make this school pure. If they catch me before hand then I’ll fail. I can’t fail! After a while I numbly sat there, staring off into space as if the world was ending right in that moment.

             That’s it! I’ll just beat the police or whoever they send to catch me. Wait... why am I worried about getting caught. What I’m doing is justice, they can’t punish me for doing something good. Now how to get rid of Yifan... The railing! Yes... it can easily be view as an accident where he slips.

            I proceeded on with my plan. I tripped over Yifan in the hallway but then I ran away, and of course having a bad temper he chased after me. I stood near the railing, my hands on my knees as I bent forward trying to catch my breath. He slowed down as he caught up to me.

            “How dare you run away? Do you not have proper etiquette to actually apologize?” He seemed odd usually he’d punch me for even looking at him. Oh yeah most of his friends are gone...

            I took no time to push him. He was distracted so it became real easy to push him. The sound of him hitting the ground could be heard from the other side of the school. I rushed up to the roof. Soon you could hear a commotion happening down there. The police was here and I was going to be caught.

            No you won’t. There’s still one person that needs to be gone for this school to be cleansed.
Who...? I asked cautiously, I have no more time to get to the person.
            You.
Me? What have I done? I’ve done nothing but good.
            Think about it, you got rid of people, completely killed them off for your ‘cleansing’. You became a murder. You were the worst one of all. You must be eliminated as well.
I’ve... done... bad...?

            I slowly walked towards the edge of the roof, the sky’s pretty, all blue with specks of white.  The police kicked open the door. I remember smiling at them as they said ‘We won’t hesitate to shoot’ foolish officers.  I took one last step backwards. The last thing I heard was...
“Wait!”

I am Kim Kibum and this is my story.