Chapter Three

Falling

I don’t know how he found me so fast. But I am glad he did.

* * * * *

He was crying.

He was crying?

My mind couldn’t process the idea that he was crying. I probably looked as shocked as the crowd around me.

I didn’t know if I should be outraged or should just stay in my current dumbfounded state. I mean, anyone who had at least half of an idea of what happened would think I was the one who tried to kidnap this six-foot-something tall man!

He is crying?! What is this, second grade? The bully who cries first will be forgiven?

I was so wrapped up in my confusion that it took me a long time before I heard the voice calling me.

“Noona!”

Before I even saw him, I instantly knew that the deep voice belonged to Kyungsoo. How I knew that was lost to me. I would have been surprised as well if my mind wasn’t so busy thinking of possibilities why that man was crying—the man who was now currently running and disappearing at the sight of Kyungsoo.

“Noona.”

I looked up and Kyungsoo was already there. He was breathing heavily as he crouched down in front of me, his handsome face dark with worry.

“Are you okay? Are you hurt?” he asked.

I wasn’t okay. And I was definitely hurt. But somehow, I couldn’t find the voice to say that. Kyungsoo looked angry. Furious. His jaw was set so tightly that his lips barely moved when he asked me. I had the strong feeling that if I told him that, he’d explode in rage. And an angry Kyungsoo was not something I’d want to unleash. I hadn’t seen him angry before. I had always known him as quiet and calm and someone who rarely lets his temper go unchecked. But I knew that when he gets angry, it is scary.

So I swallowed hard and nodded instead. A big, fat lie. My almost-if-not-yet-broken ribs were probably offended.

His lips formed a thin line, and if it was even possible, his beautiful dark eyes went even darker. There goes my lie. He didn’t believe it for a second. Gently, he placed his left hand on my head, his thumb touching a spot above my eyebrow. I flinched, surprised by the stinging pain and by the fact that he could be gentle and furious at the same time. He took a deep breath through his mouth, reining his temper. And believe it or not, I felt sorry for him. I hated to see him so upset.

I should be the one who’s wrecked. I was the one who was almost kidnapped, after all. But in an inexplicable way, I was ridiculously calm. Honestly, the only things that my mind was dealing with right now were uncomplicated things like:

He can’t be crying! and,

I don’t want to see Kyungsoo upset again and,

It is not safe for Kyungsoo to be in the middle of the crowd—oh, come think of it, it’s not safe for me either.

As if on cue, hundred lights of camera went flashing simultaneously. Kyungsoo cursed under his breath while another thought was added to my list:

I hope netizens don’t hear that. Some people nowadays can’t understand that some occasions call for inventive curses.

He pulled my head down onto his shoulder. The cloth that fell earlier was put around me once again, acting as a hood to hide my face.

Sadly, I realized I had to walk. Kyungsoo, being the gentleman he was, would offer to piggyback me, but with the current state of my middle, I doubt I could endure the pain.

I braced my hand behind me and got ready to stand when suddenly he grabbed my arm and put it above his shoulders. He then placed his arm behind me while the other one found its way to the back of my knees. Without a word, he lifted me on his chest and stood up. All I could do was grip his shoulder tightly as he started walking amidst the crowd, back to where the stage was. He bent his head to my ear and whispered, “Keep your head down. I’ll take care of the rest.”

With my voice still not finding its way back to my throat, I just nodded. Normally, I’d hate being this helpless, but as I had said earlier, my brain wasn’t in its usual state—which was a good thing, I think, because the pain in my middle was no joke.

People were shouting questions and shoving cameras in our direction. One hand even managed to get a hold of the cloth in my face, but miraculously, Kyungsoo’s toneless and hard “Please move” (probably accompanied by the death stare only he could pull off) prevented whoever that was from fully removing it.

“Kyungsoo!” It was Chanyeol.

“Noona!” Sehun’s voice followed.

“Everyone, please let us through!” Luhan’s normal sweet voice had a sharp edge on it.

When I heard them, I panicked. The crowd was going even crazier.

They can’t be here, it’s dangerous! Where are the staff and security?

I felt the boys surround us like human shield, warding people out of the way. I prayed that Tiffany and Seohyun did not follow them. The current state of the crowd would crush them and I didn’t know what I would do if anyone hurts my members.

As much as I was thankful that the boys were rescuing me, what they were doing was reckless and could result to a lot more trouble, instead of one—mine. While Chanyeol and Luhan were politely asking people to move, Kyungsoo and Sehun, on the other hand, were obviously just barely containing their irritation. I didn’t know how long before they would crack. I hoped that by then, we’re already at the backstage, safely out of earshot from netizens.

After what seemed like forever, we arrived near the stage and I heard security shouting, shoving us forward and providing more shield. Seconds later, we’re finally at the backstage.

But I couldn’t say I was happier.

Backstage was no more chaotic than the crowd back outside, minus the cameras. Everyone was shouting. For a moment, I thought the issue was an earthquake threatening to make the dome fall over our heads, instead of me being almost kidnapped. But random words like “lousy security,” “find that man,” and “call the police” floating in the air confirmed that they were actually having a company-wide bedlam over my failed kidnapping case.

Manager-oppa came barreling toward our direction and the next thing I know was I was taken from Kyungsoo’s arms. I followed the boys with my gaze as their own managers hustled them towards the opposite direction.

I wasn’t even able to say thank you.