Glasses

Glasses

“Oh no.” is the first thing Liyin thinks as they meet formally in the meeting room, everyone gathered for SM The Ballad promotion talks. “Oh no.” her brain repeats as Jongdae, her assigned partner, pushes his glasses higher up his nose and begins to add notes to his lyrics sheet.

Liyin admits she has always been a er for boys with glasses. There is quite something about the way heavy and dark frames accent cheekbones when a boy or man smiles or how they shape a serious look when the bearer stares focused at a task.

Jongdae belongs to the lucky species that excels brilliantly in both those disciplines.

Liyin had been absolutely determined to bring her game. This rare opportunity to promote, to sing and let her voice be heard, she had planned to not let it slip past her. She should have known the company would not let her have it to the end. No, of course they would not. They have to demoralize her, sabotage her working spirit by putting this bright, adorable boy to her side.

If he notices her inappropriately long stares, she is not sure of, because he keeps looking up from his sheet, asking her about pronunciation and like on autopilot she answers him while he scribbles down on the piece of paper. Liyin just wants to look at him a little longer.

It is not that Liyin cannot handle being around boys with glasses. Junsu was one of the adorable kind, cracking bad jokes with those dark frames of his and she laughed more because of the way his cheeks almost reached the bottom rim than because of what he said. He had taken away a great deal of her fear when she debuted.

Hangeng of course and Siwon made her smile with their serious looks, in no way corresponding with their easy-going personalities, but when they did get serious, the attractiveness coupled with the small, business frames was almost overwhelming. Donghae again was straight out cute category and Zhou Mi, well, Zhou Mi did not count because his glasses were fashion or necessity.

Jongdae is not fair, Liyin decides. Nothing is, in the way he looks barely 18 as he smiles at her, listening attentive and eagerly to her advice and switches to a serious, grown-up aura the moment he focuses on his sheet for notes.

Later, much later, promotions over for so long that they seem like a distant dream, he lies with his head in her lap and laughs as she tells him about that day. Jongdae rambles off about his nervousness making it impossible back then to look at her for too long without wanting to not look away ever and Liyin thinks just how great he looks right that moment. Thick, dark frames, a smile so bright she became addicted and his eyes are sincere and serious.

Sure, the glasses are in the way when they kiss, but none of them actually bothers.