Take the Plunge

Take the Plunge

 

"Are you sure?" Suho asks as Kris moves towards the set of flight of stairs of the tall diving platform.

"I'm not scared like you." Kris answers back with a smirk on playing on the corner of his lips.

"I'll be fine, don't worry." He adds reassuring the younger man and climbs the platform with confidence.

 

Kris likes challenges. He seeks the thrill of adventures, the rush of adrenaline running in his veins, and the pulsating beat of his heart against his ribcage. He stands at the highest level of the diving platform, and moves towards the edge. Butterflies of excitement pool at the pit of his stomach as his toes curl on the edge of the diving platform.

It is a sunny day today. The wind blows hard against his face, making an utter mess out of his hair. He closes his eyes briefly, feeling the heat of the sun burning his skin lightly to a darker shade. He looks down below towards the swimming pool. It perfectly mirrors the sky above. He thinks, however, that the swimming pool seemed shallow to handle the impact of his jump from ten meters above. Nevertheless, he's going to go for it.

 He looks towards s as they scream and screech their voices out of their lungs, cheering loudly to him, "Kris hyung! Be careful! Remember the form and jump properly!"  He laughs. "These kids are a handful of worrywarts"

 

He then locks eyes with Suho, a silent exchange between them.  

 

It is time to take the plunge.

 

He swallows a deep breath, staring at the great expanse of the sky and space before him. He feels like scratching it, as if to mark his own existence. The intensity of the thrill is too much for his senses. He counts slowly to breath evenly.

 

One.

 

Two.

 

Three. 

 

He jumps.

 

With his arms spread, open wide and feet together, his form is like a human dagger, sharp enough to tear dimension and space in half. They watch him descent in slow-motion. A big splash forms as his body hits the water. While it only took two seconds in the eyes of s as they watch him fall from the diving platform, to Kris, however, he felt like it took forever for his toes to touch the surface of the water.

And the last thing he hears and sees before all sound and sight are muffled and blurred by the bubbling rush of water back to the surface as he sinks deeper in the pool was Suho's summer voice, big radiant smile, eyes brighter than the sun.

 

Kris makes his way toward the side of the pool. He meets a hand, outstretched, to help him reach up to the concrete pavement.

"T-that was amazing." Suho steadies Kris upright. Small puddles of water form at their feet. 

"It would be even more so, if you're with me. It's like forever up there." Forever with you. He holds Suho's gaze with mirth in his eyes

"Maybe, I'll give it a try next time. Next time." Suho answers, blushing under his gaze.

"I'll hold you to that, then." Kris says as he slings an arm around Suho's shoulder and motions the both them back towards their members. They both laughed.

 

It's a sunny day today.

 

Kris can’t wait for the next summer to come again in full swing.