Prologue

Midnight Circus

A sunny afternoon shines on the famed "Hanbamjung Circus" showgrounds.
The smell of burning kerosene fills the air as The Ringmaster prepares her punishment.
Her glittery leotard and white tights blinding in the sun.
Wrists and ankles bound against the coloured board to which holds her in place.
As hot rays filter through the trees, she glances up.
He turns to face her and with a quick flick of the wrist, deals the first blow.
Whistling through the air, the flaming dagger lands to her left with a loud 'THUNK'.
Looking down at the flames, she is entranced and frightened by the quivering knife.
'THUNK', near her right leg and 'THUNK', close to the first, comes in a quick sequence.
The Ringmaster raises the burning blade close to his face and flicks it at her head.
Her short and curly reddish-brown hair bounces as she quickly turns her head to her left, avoiding a fatal blow.
She glances up at him then her eyes dart to the flames near her head.
As she goes to look at him, another flame whizzes towards her left hand and she moves her fingers as far as they will go, away from it.
Three more close calls and her lips part in a smirk as she realizes why she's here.
At the sight of her smile, The Ringmaster's lips purse and he throws a blade near her head.
Eyes shut with fear upon hearing the whistling, her head bounces up slightly from the board as she feels the impact shake the board.
Glancing at the blade, her eyes swivel to his never-faltering gaze.
He raises another burning dagger and takes aim.
His lips form the words that seal her fate; "Goodbye Ga-in."
As she looks at him with a blank expression, a whistle feels the air.
And all Ga-In can think is, "This is like a tragic comedy."

'THUNK'