1/3

Shut Up and Drive

So here's part 1! This fic won't be very long, it's actually kind of a one-shot that I'm just splitting up. I'm thinking 3 parts.

This is my first Daejae story on here, so hello Daejae fans! Thanks to everyone who subscribed and voted just on the foreward, it means a lot!

Note: A couple swear words, nothing else. I don't even know if I need to warn about that but now no one can say I didn't.


 

“It’s okay, baby. I know you’re tired.”

 

“Uh…hyung?” Junhong’s voice sounds over the phone, “I can’t decide if I’m hoping you’re talking to your car, or not…”

 

“Huh? Oh, sorry Junhong. So can Yongguk-hyung help?”

 

“He’s an hour or so away right now, on a call. But he said he can send his apprentice to pick you and the car up.”

 

Youngjae sighs with relief, “That’s great.”                               

 

He relays his location to Junhong and once he hangs up he stares at the hunk of metal he called his car.

 

She was beautiful.

 

Well, she was. As in had been at some point.

 

But all she needed was a little love and a new coat of paint. Some better tires, too, maybe a re-upholstering while they were at it. And Youngjae wants to spoil his baby, he does, but he’s a broke college student and he’s really just glad he even managed to save her from the junkyard.

 

He puts his hand on the hood and stares forlornly.

 

“You’ll be okay, beauty. The nice mechanic will make you all better and then we can ride off into the sunset together.”

 

A few seconds later, Youngjae’s pained scream echoes through the miles of empty field.

 

Sometimes he forgets metal and heat waves don’t mix.

 

 

*          *          *

 

 

By the time the mechanic arrives, Youngjae is about to die of a heat . The rumbling sound of a heavy tow truck snaps him out of a near coma and he jumps up ready to give the tardy apprentice a piece of his mind.

 

He’s getting ready to start on his angry spiel when the door opens and a figure steps down, worn Timberlands bringing up a small cloud of dust as they land on the dirt road.

 

Youngjae’s been needing a cool glass of water all day and he’s pretty sure that’s what’s just come out of that truck.

 

The man that’s walking towards him is slightly taller than average, and lean. He’s wearing a white tank that leaves his toned biceps exposed and fits his trim waist like a glove. Youngjae’s eyes are shamelessly drawn down to a firm looking rear and equally impressive thighs clad in dark denim.

 

He’s not sure if its sweat or drool dripping down his face at this point, but he’s snapped out of his reverie when a smooth voice sounds.

 

“Man, I’m really sorry. I was in the middle of an oil change when Junhong called, and then I had to find this place, and I don’t even think this road has a name. You look ‘bout ready to faint, here, let’s get you inside, the truck’s air conditioned.”

 

Youngjae’s response is about as intelligent as he can be expected to be in such a circumstance, “Huh?”

 

To be fair, he’s distracted by how gorgeous the apologetic face in front of him is. And that voice.

 

Was that an accent coming out of that deliciously plush mouth?

 

“Oh, geeze, you’ve been out here way to long, Yongguk-hyung’s gonna kill me, come on, I think I got some water in the back.”

 

Before Youngjae knows it, the man is guiding him to the truck with a hand on his back and opening the passenger door for him to enter. The leather is cool and before long he feels a bottle of water being pushed into his hands.

 

“There, drink up and relax, alright? I’ll get the car hitched.”

 

Youngjae blindly follows the advice, and a few minutes later he’s back in control of himself.

 

The doors had been shut to keep the cool air in, so Youngjae peeks out the window and sees the man working to secure Youngjae’s car to the back of the truck. He spends a few minutes ogling before he creeps himself out.

 

He decides to get out and help, Yongguk was doing this for free after all, and a moment later he’s stepping out of the truck and back into the sweltering summer sun.

 

The man is wiping his hands on a rag when Youngjae approaches and Youngjae’s kind of embarrassed to find that his normally slightly-OCD self would not mind a little grease if it meant those hands came with it.

 

“You, uh, want some help?”

 

 The man looks up and grins, and Christ, Youngjae can only take so much blinding sun in one day.

 

“Nah, I’m good. ‘Bout done here. You feelin’ alright?”

 

“Yeah, I-I’m feeling alright. Thanks.”

 

“Not a problem. ‘Least I could do, I figure. Youngjae, right?”

 

“Yeah. Um, and you are?”

 

“Daehyun. It’s nice to meet you, Youngjae-sshi. Yongguk-hyung’s told me about you. I’d shake your hand but I wouldn’t want to get you all dirty.” Daehyun says with a good natured laugh.

 

I wouldn’t mind getting a little dirty.

 

“Pardon?”

 

, did he actually say that out loud?

 

“I mean, you know. I’m already all dusty and sweaty and stuff, what’s a little grease?” Youngjae says with a nervous laugh so awkward sounding he actually does wince a little.

 

Daehyun doesn’t seem to notice and just smiles, gesturing to the truck.

 

“You should go back inside. I’ll be done in a minute or so, just gotta secure the lines.”

 

“Uh, yeah. Okay. Um, I’ll just…do that.”

 

A minute later, Daehyun joins him in the truck and the Youngjae can detect the faint hint of spicy cologne under the smell of gasoline and sweat and to his horror, he’s kind of into the whole mix.

 

For the most part, the ride back to Yongguk’s garage is comfortable silence. Well, comfortable on Daehyun’s part at least, Youngjae’s sure the crisp air conditioning isn’t doing anything for his sweating.

 

They do make some conversation, Youngjae is one of Yongguk’s friends, after all, and he doesn’t want to appear rude. He learns that Daehyun’s from Busan and had just moved to Seoul a few months ago to learn from and live with Yongguk, who is a family friend.

 

He doesn’t know much more than that by the time they arrive to Yongguk’s garage, mainly because he spaces out every few minutes while staring at Daehyun’s face and it was beginning to get pretty awkward.

 

Daehyun has work to do, and so he leaves Youngjae in the waiting area with some snacks and magazines, heading off to take other clients while they wait for Yongguk. The elder arrives an hour or so later, apologetic smile in place as he greets Youngjae.

 

“Sorry, I was a little tied up earlier.”

 

Youngjae smiles good naturedly as he follows Yongguk to where his car has been set up, “Don’t apologize, hyung. I’m just grateful you’re helping me out like this, really. I owe you one!”

 

Yongguk raises a brow.

 

“Okay, like, ten.”

 

*          *          *

 

 

Youngjae watches anxiously as Yongguk putters about around his car, not saying anything as he examines it inside and out. He is under the body when Daehyun walks into the area, Junhong behind him. The apprentice grins at Youngjae and he gives an awkward little wave in response, wincing inwardly as Junhong looks at him judgmentally.

 

Yongguk slides out from under the car and gets to his feet, grabbing the rag Daehyun hands him.

 

Youngjae looks on anxiously, feeling like he’s waiting for a sick relative in a hospital.

 

“Well? Can you fix her?”

 

Yongguk sighs, “I can try, but it might not be worth it. Anything we do at this point would just be a bandage fix. You’d be wasting money on parts, as far as I’m concerned.”

 

“Don’t worry about that, hyung! If you don’t mind doing the labour, I’ll pay whatever it costs!”

 

“I’ll see what I can do. But it won’t be long before there’s nothing left to do.”

 

Daehyun tilts his head as he regards the hunk of metal, “Not a huge loss, is it? I mean, it ain’t really anythin’ to brag about.”

 

There is a collective wince from Yongguk and Junhong as the words leave his mouth and they both scuttle out of the way as Youngjae glares and Daehyun blinks in confusion.

 

“How dare you?” Youngjae gasps.

 

He can’t believe he ever thought Daehyun was attractive. He just disrespected his baby.

 

Yongguk and Junhong look like they want to step in but Youngjae’s already beginning on his spiel and they decide to let it run it’s course.

 

“You of all people should understand the bond between man and car! She takes me where I need to go, anytime, anyplace. Doesn’t complain when I push her to the limit, she just keeps going. If you’d ever had the privilege of riding her, you’d know exactly how I feel!”

 

When Youngjae finishes, Junhong looks like he’s either laughing or sobbing against the counter and Yongguk just looks vaguely horrified to be associated with him.

 

Youngjae belatedly realizes what he just said and gathers his things with a huff, hiding his embarrassment behind his attitude, “Just fix my car. I gotta go, later Yongguk-hyung. Junhong.”

 

“Uh,” Daehyun recovers from his confusion and hurriedly begins apologizing, “That all sounded real …disturbing, actually. Look, I’m sorry if I offended you-“

 

Youngjae ignores him with difficulty and as he leaves he can hear Daehyun’s voice as the door slams closed behind him.

 

“…Bye!”

 

*          *          *

 

“So, um, Youngjae.”

 

Yongguk grins knowingly behind the hood of the car as Daehyun rummages around in the toolbox before handing him a wrench, “Yeah?”

 

“Is he, y’know, single ‘n stuff?”

 

“Well, I don’t know about ‘and stuff’, but he is single. Why?”

 

Daehyun shrugs, “Nuthin’. He’s cute, is all.”

 

That was an understatement in Daehyuns opinion.

 

Youngjae was hot. Really handsome. Like, super attractive.

 

Daehyun remembers the way he had looked when he’d finally arrived to tow the car; brown hair mussed and neck and sculpted face glowing (with sweat, but still). His thin t-shirt stuck to his body and legs that went on forever.

 

He’s still remembering when Yongguk smacks him gently upside the head.

 

“Focus, will you?”

 

“Huh? Oh, sorry hyung…”

 

Yongguk grins, slow and amused and his deep voice is teasing when he pinches Daehyun’s cheek, “Aw, does Dae-baby have a crush?”

 

Daehyun glares and escapes Yongguk’s fingers with a huff, “No! Don’t we have to fix this car or somethin’?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“No?”

 

You have to fix this car. This,” Yongguk gestures to the scrap of metal that is Youngjae’s pride and joy, “is your little project. Our goal is two weeks. Let me know if you need any help, okay?”

 

He leaves with a pat to Daehyun’s back and the mechanic stares at the car.

 

Daehyun swears it stares back.

 

“Well, .”

 


Thanks for reading~