Vacant place

Bag of Candies

She woke, her body stiff from the position she had been laying in, for, how long? She wasn’t sure. Her back left the soft cushion of the couch and she got up in a sitting position. She felt strange, groggy, almost like she had been gone for a long time. Her eyes blinked, her left hand got up to rub them, to hopefully get the tiredness away.

She was in the living room of her apartment, it was dark, probably because the sun had already went down. Her eyebrows furrowed. When had she taken a nap? She thought about it for a while, but she couldn’t remember.

She pondered on it for a bit, but she had no time to get an answer as she heard the door to the apartment unlock before it opened. She listened to someone stepping inside before the door gently shut behind the person. She expected the sound of steps, but none came, instead she heard the sound of sobbing.

Worry struck her and she got up from her seat on the couch. She made her way to the foyer, only stopping when her eyes landed on a woman, a very familiar woman, sitting on the floor right in front of the door. The woman was curled up into a ball, her body shaking from how hard she was crying.

The woman looked up, tears still streaming down from her red eyes. She sniffled.

“Wha-what happened?” The standing woman asked.

A sniffle came from the woman on the floor before she looked away.

“I can’t live without you…” The woman on the floor sniffled.

The standing woman blinked confused. What was all this about?

She had no time to ask the woman on the floor as she got up. Startled by the sudden movement she stepped to the side and watched as the woman walked further into the apartment. She followed her confused and full of questions.

 

“H-hey…” She called out to see if she could stop the woman, but the other woman had already taken a seat by the kitchen table, her head curried into her folded arms that were on top of the table. A sigh escaped the woman and she went to the table and took a seat opposite of the other woman.

The other woman was still crying hard. It pained the woman to see her like this, she didn’t understand what it was about. Her head tilted to the side as she stared at the crown of the head of the other woman.

 

The crying seemed to have subsided, she could only hear a few sniffles coming from the woman, and she thought that maybe she could get some coherent answers from her now when she had calmed down. She took a deep breath and put her hand on the table, slowly moving it towards the woman.

 

“Could you tell me what has happened…?” She asked carefully.

 

Just when she was about to touch the other woman’s head, she abruptly sat up straight, startling her once again.

 

“Stupid…” The other woman said, her head turned to the side, and her hand wiping the tears streaming down her cheeks.

 

She was once again confused. Why was she stupid? Had she done something?

 

The other woman took a deep breath and turned towards the woman opposite her. She looked her in the eyes, her tear filled eyes, displaying sorrow and regret.

 

“It’s all because of you that I’m like this.” The other woman said and got up from the seat.

 

The seated woman was once again confused. She followed the other woman who was now walking to the bedroom. The other woman had stopped by the window, and she carefully went over there as well, standing behind her, looking at her face as she desperately tried to understand.

 

“I…love you…” The other woman said still with her gaze staring outside of the window.

 

The woman felt her heart skip a beat. She looked with hopeful eyes at the woman whose back was still facing her. She took a step closer to her, her hands beginning to reach out towards her.

 

“Re-really?” She asked.

 

The other woman began to sob again. She looked with worry at her now as she wondered if the tears were because of happiness or sadness.

 

“I love you, too.” She said in hope of making the other woman stop crying.

 

“But…it’s…it’s…too late…” The other woman cried.

 

“Why? We can still – “ She tried reaching out towards the woman, she tried grabbing her by the shoulder, but she couldn’t. Her hand simply went through the woman, like a wind, like water.

 

She stared mortified at her hand, and she tried to desperately grab the other woman again, but her hands simply went through the other woman’s body again. She felt like she began to shake and she looked at the woman who was crying.

 

“I never got to confess my love to you…and now…now…” The other woman took a deep breath. She felt she held her own breath as she waited for the woman to finish her sentence. She stared at the reflection of the other woman that was displayed in the window, she watched as the woman’s tears kept streaming down her cheeks, it pained her, and it pained her even more to not be able to console the woman.

 

Her eyes shifted to the place where her reflection was supposed to be, and that’s when she noticed it.

 

“Now you’re dead….” The other woman finished her sentence.

 

And the woman stared at the darkness where her reflection was supposed to be. The reflection of her that was supposed to be shown beside the other woman, but it was not. It was a vacant place that she never will have the chance to fill, ever again.