Final

Tell Me I’m Better than the Dolphin

“You are so pretty. Ohh~ I can’t take my eyes off of you. In my eyes, I only see you~ I only want to look at you~” I sang with a bright smile on face. I was lying down on my bed and my eyes were glued to my iPad screen, watching Daehyun’s cover of 4men’s ‘Baby Baby’.

“Aish! Hyeri! You’ve been singing the same song for the past 20 minutes!” Youngjae turned around from his seat where he had been looking through his fan café, reading messages from B.A.P fans.

“Ah…then it’ll be fine if I just play a different song right?” I grinned mischievously and typed in ‘B.A.P – Crash’ into the YouTube search bar. I waited for the music to start, skipped to the middle of the song, and turned up the volume so Youngjae could hear it from his seat. My grin grew wider as I watched Youngjae’s reaction when I paused the song right before a certain someone’s line.

“Yah! Son Hyeri! Why are you only playing Daehyun’s parts?”

“Why? Are you jealous that I like Daehyun’s voice more?” I stuck my tongue out at him and went back to my video.

“There’s no way I’ll be jealous of that dolphin!” Youngjae scoffed and turned back to his laptop. I did the same thing—only playing Daehyun’s parts—except this time, I used ‘Coma’.

I felt the bed dip. Spotting Youngjae’s hand from the corner of my eye, I quickly moved my iPad out of his reach. Of course, that failed because Youngjae’s long arms easily reached over me and snatched it out of my hands. His fingers quickly glazed over the screen and a different song was played—Youngjae’s duet song. When I peered over his shoulder to watch the video, vibrant shades of pink and purple of the Music Core stage filled the screen and the Youngjae in the screen was moving his hands to the rhythm of the song. Youngjae’s simple aegyo never failed to bring a smile to my face and brighten my day.

“Much better.” Youngjae smiled in satisfaction as a close-up of his face appeared on the screen.

“It feels like I’ve seen your pretty smile somewhere before~” Youngjae sang along, using his fist as his mic.

“Nope. Daehyun’s voice is definitely much better.” I couldn’t help but laugh when Youngjae pouted. Teasing him was an addiction that I could never get over. I gasped and started squirming when Youngjae’s hands found their way to my sides and started tickling me.

“Youngjae! Please stop—ahh!” I squealed and placed my hands on his chest, trying to push him away. But he wouldn’t budge.

“Not until you say my voice is the better than the dolphin’s.” He applied more pressure, leaving me no choice but to surrender.

“I WAS JUST KIDDING! YOO YOUNGJAE’S VOICE IS BEST! NOW STOP TICKLING ME!” I inhaled and exhaled deeply as Youngjae lied down beside me and wrapped his arm around my waist, patting my head gently.

“Good girl. See? You could have just said that from the start.” He pinched my cheek, laughing when I glared at him playfully.

I rolled over so that I was lying on his chest and leaned down to peck Youngjae on the lips.

“Mmm…definitely something Daehyun misses out on.” He smiled before pulling me back down for another kiss.

 

-A week later-

I set my cup of tea down and leaned back into Youngjae’s arms. He wrapped his arms around be from behind and rested his chin on my shoulder, occasionally turning his head to leave small butterfly kisses on my neck. I smiled and snuggled into him, eyes glued to the television. B.A.P’s stage for 1004 was coming to an end, and was replaced by the sound of another artist playing the piano.

“Are you guys ever anything less than perfect?” I turned to Youngjae and smiled. Before he had a chance to reply, a familiar voice brought my attention back to the screen. “Oh! That song-?” I chuckled to myself. Why hadn’t I recognized this melody before? Daehyun was on the screen now, singing Baby Baby, the very song I had been listening to on repeat a mere week ago. But this time he wasn’t alone. Youngjae was standing next to him, and Himchan was off to the side, playing the piano.

“You-“ As I turned to Youngjae again, he placed his finger on his lips, a signal for me to just listen to the rest of the song first. I complied and turned back around. My eyes widened when Youngjae managed to hit the high notes perfectly, a proud smile on my face. He must’ve put a lot of effort into practicing.

“How was it? I’m much better than the dolphin now right?” Youngjae smirked as the song ended.

I tapped a finger on my chin, pretending to think for a moment. “Yeah, I think you’re better than Daehyun now.” Youngjae grinned, satisfied with my answer.

“Why did you guys decide to sing the song together this time? Usually you’d make Daehyun sing it on his own.” Youngjae averted his eyes from mine, blushing.

I smirked. “It was because I kept praising him for this song last week wasn’t it?” Once again, Youngjae refused to meet my eyes, but his reddening face gave him away.

An idea formed in my head and I gently loosened his hold on me, slipping out of his grasp. “But, you know…,” I stepped away from the couch, leaving Youngjae there. He finally looked up, watching me with a confused look on his face. I turned away from him and quickly ran up the stairs, but not before shouting over my shoulders, “Himchan’s piano skills were much better!”

There was a moment of silence before I heard him yell, “YAH! SON HYERI!” I laughed and quickly scrambled up the last few steps as I heard his footsteps chase after me.