02

Practicing Lesbians
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

--

 

An hour-long trip by car. Low music occupied the space. Non-university thoughts took the forefront of Yoona’s brain. She tapped a ballpoint pen tip onto the corner of her Moleskine notebook. Little black dots littered the margin, precursors to the following title:

 

Im Yoona Wish List

 

Sure, lists like these were the bane of her existence. A very Im family thing to do. Being born of that family, a list-making strand would most likely be found in her DNA.

 

Too many tasks? Not enough tasks? Can’t organize your life? List it!

 

She eyeballed the scrawled letters, throwing a side glance at her father. He thoughtlessly drummed his fingers on the steering wheel to tunes playing from the mp3 system. Old songs.

 

She continued writing.

 

Im Yoona Wish List for Jessica

 

Her eyebrows furrowed in thought until she remembered Jessica’s speech about early onset wrinkles. So, she massaged the frown of concentration from her forehead. Picturing her girlfriend with her soft voice throwing out less-than-subtle demands made her grin. She brought a shielding hand to her face. Last thing Yoona needed was to explain away such an automatic expression. Why add on to the irritating “no, I don’t have a boyfriend” explanations that plagued her all month?

 

Two weeks and a winter vacation ago, she acquired a girlfriend. Her very first friend-turned-lover. A complex dynamic in contrast to short-lived relationships of the past--each stemming from casual acquaintances asking for her number. Dating a friend changed that situation. Made Yoona care more about how to process her feelings. Hence, the list:

 

1. Go on a date.

2. Win in a tickle fight.

3. Take couple pictures.

5. Go wine-tasting.

6. Love?

 

Perfect. A good start.

 

Besides the whole “no number 4” part.

 

Yoona’s cheeks tinged at the very possibility of filling the line she conveniently left unmarked. Another nonchalant glimpse at her father. He’d begun to lip the words to a song so old it played in black and white. Old-fashioned guy. The car would undoubtedly ignite if she even chanced to pen have --especially lesbian --on the canvas sheet.

 

It’d been on her mind since the first night they kissed. She had fallen asleep in Jessica’s bed, newly-attained girlfriend wrapped tightly around her waist and legs. Going from 0 to 120 in their relationship rocked Yoona emotionally, physically, and mentally. Emphasis on physically. Memories coursed through her veins--dancing tongues, wandering hands, bumping chests--topped off with dozing Jessica’s cool breath caressing her neck in regular intervals.

 

Needless to say, Yoona got no sleep that night.

 

Her recollection of the most frustrating night of her life lifted from her mind when she caught sight of familiar overpasses casting shadows through their sunny path. Almost back to college.

 

Yoona sent a reminder text message, lip held beneath her front teeth in fear until the person responded affirmatively. Upon arrival, she sprung from the car. She peered around the half-filled expanse of university parking lot, distracted from her dad urging her help with the carry-on load.

 

Her thumb hit ‘send’ for a second reminder when a deep voice in the distance echoed their way. The sound of salvation.

 

Jo Kwon scooped her from behind with practiced precision. “Yoona! Back so soon!”

 

“God, Jo Jo. You gave me a scare,” Yoona mumbled, hoping that he caught onto the edge in her tone.

 

“Never fear! Jo Kwonie’s here and fabulooous,” he drawled, releasing the girl to bound over to the open trunk of the car. “Good afternoon, Mr. Im. Growing more handsome with age, are we?”

 

Yoona’s dad nodded curtly. “Hello, Mr. Kwon.”

 

“I haven’t seen you in like, foreverrrr.”

 

Yoona fought not to snort out laughing. He was really laying on the flamboyance thick.

 

“We’ve all been busy.”

 

Her dad jerked backward when Jo Kwon wrenched a tote from his grasp. “I have soooo much to catch up on with Yoong. Mind if I take her stuff?”

 

“Um--are you sure?”

 

“Totally positive, Mr. Im!” He did a showy jig as he slung the duffle onto a shoulder effortlessly. “I’ll be her pack mule.”

 

She received her father’s helpless look and shrugged in response. “You had me all break, Dad. It’s my friends’ turn.”

 

Holding up his hands in surrender, he motioned her to his side. Yoona trotted into his arms for a goodbye hug. She kissed him on the temple, whispered a reassuring, “Straight A’s again this quarter, okay?”, and scampered off to accompany her tall buddy heaving the bulk of her luggage.

 

“Thanks for the rescue,” she giggled, claiming a rolling suitcase.

 

Jo Kwon huffed in appreciation. “That’s why I’m here. A queen on demand.”

 

“You’re so good at it.”

 

“Are you gonna tell a why you don’t want your daddy to visit your room?”

 

Yoona patted his pouty cheek. “Patience, Jo Jo.”

 

...

 

Jo Kwon stayed long enough for a short conversation as they stacked the suitcases next to her bed. He didn’t push for any more details of Yoona's mystery life, to her relief. She hadn’t been in the relationship long enough to even determine how to come out to their mutual friends. The lesbian title was one thing--but dating someone within their friendly circle? That’d be the tricky part.

 

She squeezed at his shoulders in a comfy hug, promising a gab-fest in the near future. A gay guy friend who’d kick up the stereotypical side just to fend off further nosy questions? A godsend. Their “I’m as gay as you!” exchange would be worth his wait.

 

Once the door closed behind him, she rested her back against it and peered around the room. Yoona never thought coming home fromvacation would bring so much peace.

 

Life changed. She smiled at the thought.

 

Jessica returned from visiting her family a day ago. True to her personality, her bags had alrea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter