1

Unsafe

Zico ducked behind a car and peeked out to follow the man's movements.

Just a few more seconds...

As he was getting closer to him, Zico started to slowly count from five downwards.

5...

4...

3...

He aimed his gun at the masked man's head.

2...

1...

And then he shot. The bullet pierced right through his head and his body fell limply to the ground.

A smirk formed on Zico's face. Mission completed.

He slowly stood up, walked towards his victim and started to search for the money he owed his boss.

After finding it and putting it into the pocket of his jacket, Zico took the body and put it into one of the cars that were parked there. With a sigh he took a few metres distance from the car and started to shoot at its engine and it only took seconds for the car to explode.

Parts of the vehicle flew everywhere and big flames erupted, so he had to hurry and get in safety.

The last thing Zico had to do was calling his boss and then he could go home. Home to his loved ones. Home sounded so nice right now.

 

Finished?

 

“Yeah, he's dead and I have your money, Sir.”

 

Good job, son. You can go home now, I'll call you.”

 

And with that he hung up.

 

 

Zico was exhausted, the way to his apartment seemed endless today.

He just wanted to eat, take a shower and sleep after a long day.

Straightening his back and putting on his usual grin, he knocked on the door. His heart started to beat faster like always, even after being together for four years.

Chin Sun carefully opened the door and peeked out to see if it was safe for her to open it wider.

With a sigh of relief she wrapped her arms around her boyfriend. He was safe and in her arms.

She had been so worried that something happened to him, like every time he went out because of a mission.

“Hey baby. Did you miss me?”

“Stop asking such stupid questions Jiho, of course I missed you. I was so worried.”

“I know, I know. I'm sorry, I missed you too. Everything's okay now... I'm here...”

Zico pulled back and softly kissed her forehead before leaning down and capturing her lips in his own for a passionate kiss.

It grew deeper when Zico pulled her closer with one arm tightly around her waist and his hand on her cheek, it with his thumb to assure her that he was with her.

A loud cry broke the both of them apart.

Zico was the first one to react and raced into the room from which the cries were coming from.

Chin Ho, almost a year old, looked surprised when he saw his father instead of his mother in front of him but didn't complain when Zico lifted him up and hugged him, while placing soft kisses on his head.

The baby snuggled against his daddy's neck as he stopped crying, thankful that he had been picked up.

“Crying to pull daddy away from mommy shouldn't become a habit, buddy.”, Zico said as he Chin Ho's messy hair affectionately.

The little boy was the apple of his eye. He loved him so much that it almost hurt.

Having him in his arms made Zico forget about everything, made him feel happy.

Chin Sun watched her boys from the doorway with a sad smile and slowly walked towards them, before wrapping her arms around Zico's waist and kissing Chin Ho's head.

“You both look so cute.”, she whispered as she rested her head against Zico's arm.

She wished that they could stay like this forever, that nothing would destroy their little family, but she knew that this was not possible. Not with her boyfriend's job.

One day or another something would happen to him or Chin Ho or herself.

Chin Sun pulled away with a sigh and headed to the kitchen, where she had prepared dinner for them.

“Come on boys, let's eat.”

Zico sat down with their son in his arms and began to eat, occasionally looking at his girlfriend. He noticed her sad and scared expression and decided to ask her after they put Chin Ho to sleep.

After eating dinner silently, Zico went into the living room with his son and tried to teach him how to walk.

Chin Ho could only take a few steps, before falling onto his and being too lazy to stand up again, so Zico had to help him a bit.

The routine continued for half an hour until his son grew tired and decided to crawl onto his daddy's lap and sleep there peacefully.

Carefully with the sleeping baby in his arms, Zico stood up and walked towards Chin Ho's room to lay him in his crib.

After putting his favourite plushie next to him, covering him with a blanket and kissing his forehead softly, Zico left the room and went into the kitchen to talk with his girlfriend.

Chin Sun was sitting on the couch and hugging her legs to her chest with her expression the same as before.

Zico sat next to her, wrapped one arm around her shoulders and tugged her towards him, before nestling his head in the crook of her neck.

“What's wrong, Sun? What's bothering you? Tell me so that I can help you, please.”

“Nothing is wrong.”, she whispered and played with her fingers.

Zico took her trembling hands into his free hand.

“Don't lie to me, babe. I know there's something that's bothering you. So please tell me.”

Chin Sun decided to be honest and said everything that was on her mind.

“Your job is bothering me. I don't want you to work as a gangster, do you know how worried I am every time you walk out in the morning, after receiving a call from your boss? Do you think that I don't know you're killing people? I ing hate your job! Why can't we live like a normal family?!”, before she knew it, she was already screaming at him.

“Chin Sun lis- ”

“NO! Jiho you are 19 and have a family to take care of, but instead of getting a normal job, you decided to work as a ing gangster! What if something happens to you? What would happen to me and Chin Ho? We would have nothing, we would live on the streets, we would have nowhere we could stay at. I'm only 17 and your son not even a year old, you can't leave us alone. Do you know how much I love you? Do you know how much Chin Ho loves you?! You can't die...”, Chin Sun was crying so hard that she couldn't breath properly.

Zico let her words sink in for a moment before wrapping his arms tightly around his sobbing girlfriend.

“Sshh... I'm so sorry, babe. Please don't cry, it hurts me to see you like this. Sshh... I'm sorry, Sun. I love you and Chin Ho so much, I don't want to leave you. I would never you.”

His heart broke seeing Chin Sun in so much pain because of him. Yes, it was his fault. Why did he even chose to become a gangster? Was it because of his brother, who also was one? Or was it just because he was too young and couldn't find a job, which would pay him enough to support his family?

He didn't know.

But one thing he knew was that he would quit. He couldn't stand seeing his loved ones in pain because of him and he knew that he was putting them in danger with his job.

Zico looked down at Chin Sun, whose eyes were closed and head buried in Zico's neck with her hand clutching tightly onto his shirt.

Kissing her forehead, he gently lifted her up, carried her towards their room and laid her on the bed, before checking if Chin Ho was still asleep after all the screaming.

He smiled softly seeing his boy sleeping peacefully.

Zico took a shower, changed his clothes, slipped in next to his girlfriend in bed and wrapped his arms around her from behind, securing her in a warm embrace.

With a sigh he cuddled closer to her and closed his eyes to drift off into dreamland.

 

The sun shone trough the thin curtains and stirred Zico awake. He blinked slowly, trying to adjust to the bright sun.

Chin Sun was still sleeping in his arms and there weren't any noises coming from Chin Ho, so he decided to get up quietly and prepare breakfast.

Unwrapping his arms from his girlfriend, he stood up and went into the kitchen.

15 minutes later everything was set perfectly on the table, so Zico brushed his teeth, got dressed and left the apartment. But this time not because of a mission coming from his boss, but a mission coming from his heart.

He decided to treat Chin Sun like a princess today, to do everything that she wanted.

It was his duty to make her happy, after everything she had done for him.

Finding a flower shop was really hard in this area, so he had to walk quite a while before he found one, where he bought a red roses.

He sniffed the flowers and smiled satisfied, these would make Chin Sun happy.

Suddenly Zico felt strange, it was as if someone was watching him.

He turned around but didn't see anyone, shrugging he continued his way home.

 

When he reached his apartment, he pulled out his key and opened the door, expecting to see his girlfriend in the kitchen, but to his surprise was it empty.

“Babe?”, he called and walked to their bedroom.

He found it empty, like the kitchen.

Zico immediately knew that there was something wrong and rushed into Chin Ho's room, thinking that she might be there, but no, she wasn't. Chin Ho wasn't there too.

“Hey, it's not funny, come out.”

No answer.

The ringing of his phone broke the silence and he immediately answered the call, without looking at the caller ID.

 

“Chin-”

 

Your family is so cute Woo Jiho. Didn't know that you had a son, he's so adorable, clinging to his mother. Ah, and your little girlfriend. I must say that you have a good taste.” , a husky voice said on the other side of the line.

 

“Who the are you?! Where is my family?! What-”

 

If you want to save your family, come and meet me at the train station in XXX. And come alone. If I see that you brought someone along, your loved ones will suffer and you don't want that, right?”

 

“You're dead if you touch them! Don't lay a hand on them or you'll regret it, you son of a bi-”, before Zico could finish his sentence, the call was ended.

He gripped tightly onto it and stared at it for a few second, before rushing to his room and pulling out his gun.

Zico knew that he might not survive this fight, but he would do everything to protect his family.

He would die for them.

 

 

To be continued...