Little Red

Little Red

Little Red

I never liked car rides.
The scenery flying past my eyes, the clouds of fumes polluting the air, the uncomfortable back seats. Yet here I was, sitting cross legged in the back of my mother's mini on the way to my grandmother's.My aunt was in the hospital getting her appendix out and my mother's presence was required, I don't know why, all she will do is sit in the waiting room panicking over a cup of coffee, bitter. I haven't seen my grandmother since I was half of the height I am now, though thats not too impressive anyway... I was still quite tiny.
 "Sunmi, your face, fix it." I caught my mothers eye in the mirror and she smiled. I raised an eyebrow in question, all this time I thought my face wasn't half bad, guess not.
"At least pretend that your happy to be here, please." She begged.
My eyebrow slacked again returning to my neutral face. I gave an attempt at raising the corner of my mouth, although mothers turned into a frown, I'm assuming my gleaming smile isn't up to her standards. With a sigh from the pair of us, the car returned to awkward silence once more. 

I never liked car rides.

The route became more familiar and I knew we were getting close, the air no longer thick with the lost dreams and grey breaths of the city, now clear and b with opportunity and adventure. The scenery was magnificent enough for even a pessimist like myself to straighten my spine for a better look. I always had a soft spot for forests, the greens filled me with the feeling of home, the feeling of freedom, the feeling of belonging.
"Sun, we're here." I looked where the voice came from to see my door had opened, fresh air filling my lungs. I stepped out and looked towards the cottage where my grandma lives, it hadn't changed a bit, from the floral curtains to the deck in the back garden.
"I'll pick you up on monday, be good Sun." She said getting back into her car, I moved my shoulders, yup, my backpack is still there. Taking a deep breath I made my way toward the front door, the sound of the doorbell echoing even out here. The door creaked open revealing a lady even smaller than myself, grey locks curling around her neck and small glasses peaked at the end of her nose. She was more frail than the last time I saw her, that made my heart sink a little. 
"Oh, it's little Sunmi! My look how you've grown! Last time I saw you, you had had your hair tied in two instead of one." She chuckled, her smile was so bright.
She shuffled me into the living room where I awkwardly sat on the couch. Along with two glasses of water she returned shortly and sat down on the chair opposite me "So, how have you been?" 

We got on straight away, I mean, she is my grandmother. We talked about my school, her friends, my awkward relationship with a guy in the year above, her flower garden in the back and somewhere along the way we began talking about books. 
"What do you enjoy reading?" She questioned sipping on her water.
"I've always been into thrillers, admittedly I'm drawn by mystery,  no one really gets it though." I said leaning back into my chair, a bit embarrassed, my tastes were a little different compared to the other girls in my town. 
"Mystery? I guess thats why you liked visiting so much as a kiddie." She smiled putting her glass down.
"Theres a legend around this town, you know? I heard it from my mother, who heard from my mother and so on. It's the story of the skin changers. Those who would turn from man to wolf and walk amongst us. Seducing the local women to continue on their line." She laughed and shook her head. 
"Supposedly they were handsome brutes the wolves were, until the hunts started. People don't like things that are different, nothing could be more different than things that changed form. They are said to have wiped out the wolves, but sometimes at night I can hear a howl in the distance if I listen close enough." She recited looking out of the window.
There were wolves around here? Who knew a small town like this had a history? Especially werewolves, grandma did like a good story. She stood and took our now empty glasses into the kitchen,  I stood up and went to follow her to the room that smelt of gingerbread. She stood over the sink cleaning the glasses.
"Do you need any help?" I questioned, I didnt want to be a complete waste of resources.  
"Well, for dinner I'm missing a few ingredients, could you nip down the market and get me some?" She turned to face me, pointed to her shopping basket and a list on the fridge, I nodded and retrieved the basket whilst heading out the door, to then turn back around remebering I had no idea where the market was.

The streets were bustling with bodies travelling from colourful stall to even more colourful stalls, the smells of greens would have filled the air if the odours of bodies didn't drown it. Squeezing through the crowd I noticed the last stall I needed, lettuce, cutting through the rare empty spaces I made my way toward the stall. The seller was an elderly man with a flat cap, an impressive moustache, and a smile just as impressive. 
"Um, may I have two lettuces please, ahjusshi?" I asked pointing toward the green orbs of opportunity, or a vegetable, whatever floats your boat really. 
"Sure, you're lucky, we're just closing shop." He said putting the food into the woven basket. I thanked him and spun around. A little too quickly and went nose first into a strangers chest, dropping my basket of goodies. Shooting a glare up at the tall menace who caused me to drop my recently purchased greens, of course he had to be handsome, of course he had to have a leather jacket and perfect hair. 
"Just... watch where you're going." I sighed crouching to pick it up. Surprisingly he followed, joining me in picking up my fallen soldiers.
"I'm sorry, meat shops just about to close and a mans got to have his beef, sorta my style" He chuckled placing food in the basket, seeming intrigued by my random choice of food.
"Apples? Sweet, watch it little red, someone might want to steal such a great basket." Cocky.

He sauntered away toward the meat stand, towering above the other shoppers,  his blonde locks bright. I sighed, good looking guys are always s.

I returned with my food and sat in the living room looking out, when I walked in she claimed I looked brighter, the sun was out. The smell of chicken shrouded the house making my stomach growl in longing. Night fell quickly and I was taking the couch.
"Sleep tight Sunmi, don't let the wolves bite." I gave her a hug and chuckled at her joke, I helped her make her way upstairs, ignoring her protests,  before sitting back on the couch unable to sleep, why was i so shaken up today? 
I crossed my arms and slumped back into my seat, lowering my head and closing my eyes, collecting my thoughts together. Until I was interrupted.A rustle in the dead of the night, something was in the garden, something was in grandmas garden. Hesitantly making my way to the back door I grabbed a broom on my way, if the worst happens I would not be afraid to use it. I peeked through the window before sliding the door open and stepping out as quietly as I could, with broom in hand I out on a brave face and scanned the flowery wonderland, considerably more ominous at night. 
"Look, I'm armed, if you're out there, back off!" I shouted trying to portray a character that was not at the brink of crying from fear, but grandma was in possible danger. Silence returned my call and I lowered my guard, thats when it appeared, the beast, it's eyes bright as the moon that made it's black fur darker than the night it emerged from. It made its way toward the porch I was stood on, I tightened my grip on the broom slowly making my way back to the door, it still came forward. My hand gripped the door handle, the same door which automatically locks when you close it, I inwardly groaned,  this was it, Kim Sunmi, mauled to death by wolf. It stopped abruptly and looked at me straight in the eye.

The impossible happened, bones shifted, teeth retracted, it changed. My eyes saw it but my brain was struggling to comprehend it.
Madness, utter madness.
He was crouched, the now man was crouched by grandmas sunflowers. Recognition didn't take place at first, then my eyes took his face in, the striking jaw, the golden locks, the eyes that ate mine up, the smirk that had haunted my mind the past hours. I caught my breath again, holding eye contact
"W-who are you?" I choked out, my breath seemingly jot as controlled as I thought, but who can blame me, the things I saw that night are still etched into my brain to this day. He stood up, his pale skin glittering in the moonlight in comparison to the dark hood that cloaked him mere minutes before.


"Wu Yi Fan. So we meet again, Little Red."

That was the night I met him.

 

 

--------------------

 

Thanks for reading! We are planning to do a psychological thriller with Kai at some point so tell us what you think ^_^

~Human interaction is appreciated ;)~