How to overcome your fears

Calm as water

Chanyeol took a deep breath and steeped inside the van. This is going to be great, Chanyeol. He thought for himself, deeply nervous for about what that could get wrong. One of Exo K's managers had a big brother that where the director for a new drama, and their manager had made Chanyeol to try for the role. A few weeks later when Chanyeol had found out that he'd got the job, he felt really happy and his confidence were at the top. He had gladly talked to the other members about it, and practiced about what he was supposed to say, and do, I front of the members 24/7. So when it only was one week left until he should go away and record everything at jeju island, everyone in both Exo-M and K could already all Chanyeol's lines by heart. But as the days became shorter and shorter, did the normally happy virus Chanyeol become more and more nervous. "It will go great!" He recalled Baekhyun saying before he'd headed for the van. Well, sure. He thought as the van began to pick up the speed as they approached the highway and the place where they were recording.

 -Wake up now!" Chanyeol could hear their manager calling at him. Didn't you sleep at all last night? He said and sounded really upset when Chanyeol slowly opened his eyes.
 -I did sleep last night, he said but had to stop halfway thru the sentence to yawn.
 -That's it, their manager said when Chanyeol slowly got of the seat.                                                                                                                                                          No more computer games! He said and Chanyeol immediately stood up straight.
 -No, hyung! He exclaimed with fear in his voice. Anything but THAT! The others would kill me!, he said and desperately sprinted after the manger as he walked into a big house where the shooting for the day would take place.

This went better than I expected, Chanyeol thought for himself as he wiped a way the small drops of sweat that had begun to form on his forehead. Now I only have one more scene tomorrow until I'm finished with my part, he thought happily. I would like to see the other members faces when they see this and- he thought but got caught of guard by the director.
 -I would like you to do one more scene tomorrow if that's okay with you, Chanyeol? The producer said and looked thru his papers. You're playing the younger version of Kim Jungsoo and as you know, he's supposed to be afraid of the water. So in this flashback I would like you to play one more scene when you're underwater and getting rescued by the younger girl version of Oh Sooyun. It will be their second meeting, and we were thinking of letting this scene being played by a even younger actor, but he's busy at the moment, and we're running out of time. So, would you mind doing an extra scene? You'll get paid of course, he said fast when he saw the worried face that Chanyeol made.
 -No, it's just-, Chanyeol begun to say but got immediately cut of by his manger.
 -Of course he'll do it! he said reassuring. Right, Chanyeol? He said and moved his gaze at Chanyeol's way. You're free for awhile now onwards and one more scene could be the boost that you'll need. He fixed his eyes at Chanyeol that couldn't do more than just nod and say
 -Yes, sunbae-nim.

Chanyeol gazed down at the deep, deep pool of water where he was supposed to "nearly drown" in. He looked at the actress that was supposed to save him and blushed. She WAS pretty, but it wasn't her absence there that made him blush. It was the fact that he was really scared of water that made him wobble at the thought of jumping in, and even less to play being dead inside it. Especially when he felt like dying just by being near it. Isn't this ironic, he thought for himself when he fixed his eyes at the clear blue water. The person I'm playing is supposed to love water and by this accident, be afraid of it. And here I am. Already afraid of water and just like him, I used to love water before I nearly drowned when I was small.

He floated round in the water like a stiff piece of wood. He was stiff of fear and felt like if the water were trying to find its way into his lungs only to suffocate him. Before he could hear the splash of water that meant the the actress had dived into to save him, he begun to move in panic to get air, and felt like a jerk when he could feel the fresh air in his lungs again. He could here the directors and his managers angry
 -What are you doing, Chanyeol?! when he reached the end of the pool, and swung himself up on the ground. That's how it continued for the next half hour, until Chanyeol's manager and his brother, the director, decided that they would take a short break. Chanyeol signed. Why did it have to be water? He thought grimly. What's wrong with heights? Or what about claustrophobia?
 -I have to do this! He said in a low voice so no one would be able to hear him. He watched as the makeup artists, the supporting actors etc. left the room to take a short break to rest at. Chanyeol waited patiently until everyone were gone and then jumped into the water after counting to three. Four times. He clenched his fists hard when his feet first touched the cold water. His eyes shout opened when his head disappeared below the waters surface. He instantly swam towards the way that he thought would lead him back. His face pulled up above the water. He begun to panic when he realized that he was in the center of the pool, and not the end of it as he had aimed for. He froze in agony when he begun to understand that he was pretty much caught in the middle of the big and deep swimming pool. He felt like he was just about to faint when he suddenly heard a splash which couldn't mean anything else than that someone just entered the water. Chanyeol was just about to look up on who it was, when his body suddenly felt like jelly, and his head disappeared under the water. He immediately fought his way up again and begun to move his arms like crazy in a attempt to not sink again.
 -Calm down would ya'? Chanyeol could hear the girl angrily say to him as he begun flail his arms in panic.
 -I am calm! He said between clenched teeth as he tried to not swallow a huge amount of water.
 - I can see that! She said sarcastic as she tried to make so little noise as possibly when she carefully dragged the terrified Chanyeol away from to center of the pool.
 -Calm as water, she said when they both could touch feel cold metallic stair with their hands.
 -Very funny, the usually happy Chanyeol answered her grumpy.
 -Hey, it's alright y' know? She said in a dialect that Chanyeol couldn't really place.
 -You're dialect, he begun and carefully watched her reaction as he looked at her bangs that were hanging in the way. She immediately tried to move the hair away from her eyes but Chanyeol stopped her midway with his hand and then brushed it away himself with the back of his hand. She blushed at Chanyeol's sudden movement which made Chanyeol himself to blush when he realized what he just had done.
 -I grew up in Australia, she said to Chanyeol's surprise and stretched her hand out to him.
 -I'm Woo Jinkyong, by the way, she said and shook Chanyeol's hand. But I would prefer if you call me JK.
 -You can call me Chanyeol, he said felt really embarrassed when he realized that he still hadn't asked for her name, even though that had been filming with each other for more than three days already.
 -Nice to meetcha, Chanyeol. She said with a grin on her face. She climbed up the stairs and Chanyeol that suddenly remembered that he still was in the water, yelped in surprise and wasn't slow to climb up after her.
 -You're afraid of the water? She said with a raised eyebrow as she saw Chanyeol's sudden reaction.
 -Y-yeah, he stuttered.
 -Then why didn't ya say anything earlier? She said.
 -Like it would change anything by just admitting it... he muttered in a low voice.
 -You don't know if you don't try, y'know. She stated as a sign as she had heard him.
 -Do you know what I do to overcome my fears? I just imagine that I'm somewhere safe. Like a secret room that only I know about, or a place where I can be with my friends and family. You just need to think about a place where you can find courage and calmness.
 -Poetic... Chanyeol said breathless after JK had finished.
 -I'm-, he begun to say, but got cut of as the director and the rest of the crew returned.
 - Let's make this scene now! He said with enthusiasm Ready? He begun and Chanyeol carefully walked down the stairs into the pool again after getting his make up and clothes fixed.
 Scene 147, take 16, he shouted and everyone took their places again.
Action! Chanyeol thought at the exactly same time as he heard the voice scream the same word. He closed his eyes and felt how his body got all limp. He imagined himself at the dorm together with the rest of Exo. Laughing. And before he could react he felt how JK pulled him away and up. Calm as water, he thought and smiled in his mind.
 -Cut, he could hear the director shout again and clapping his hands.
 Really good, Park Chanyeol and Woo Jinkyong. He said approving and gave the tumbs up. Let's just do it two more times, and then we can move the next scene. I think we even might finish this today! He smiled and begun to talk to his brother that smiled at Chanyeol, but looked a little blown away.
 -Good job, mate! JK said with a smirk and helped Chanyeol up from the floor.
 -Thanks, he answered with a genuine happy smile. He had been so busy with making everything perfect, that he'd forget to smile this past week. He begun to laugh at the thought and couldn't stop himself but to hug her. Thanks... He repeated quietly.

 -This went a lot better than anyone of us had expected, Jongin said and clapped Chanyeol's back.
 -You didn't believe that I could do this, huh? Chanyeol said with a raised eyebrow and tried to not laugh at Jongin's face, when he embarrassed tried to explain that he didn't mean it that way.
 -I never lost faith in you, hyung, Sehun said looked at Jongin with a smirk that made the slightly older one frown.
 -Yeah, not even the times when you said that you thought Chanyeol would make the drama to a fail? Kyungsoo said teasingly from his corner in the cushion.
 -It's okay guys, Chanyeol said when he saw how their leader, Joonmyun, was about to say something.
 -I actually didn't think that I even would get considered to get a role in this drama, he admitted.
 -Well to be honest with you, we all thought that you staring this k-drama would make less people wanting to watch it. But according to one of our managers, the viewers numbers, went up after your episode. Well, I guess that the world is full of surprises, Baekhyun stated and Chanyeol tossed a pillow his way.
 -But what happened, Chanyeol? Joonmyun asked after a while when the short pillow fight had stopped.
 -Yeah, I thought that you was deadly scared of water? Jongin said after understanding what Joonmyun was about to ask.
 -Well, Chanyeol begun. JK, the one who's playing the younger version of Oh Sooyun, helped me. She thought me how to embrace your fears. He said with a grin on his face when he saw the surprised look on his fellow members faces.
 -Oh, Really... Kyungsoo begun.
Really, Chanyeol thought and smiled. Thanks he said again in his mind as he saw JK's name on the name list of people staring that episode. You made me overcome my fears that I thought I'd never forget. Thanks to you I was able to be calm as water.

 

A/N: Thank you for reading this ^^ this is my second fanfic and my first one shot! Please comment, subscribe, upvote or just read again if you liked this story ;)