Blank Slate

Blank Slate

At age eighteen, Im Jaebum is the epitome of societal perfection. He's got it down to an art, an art that he has mastered down to the most inconsequential detail. The Society, which had been created in the aftermath of The Great War valued people like Jaebum.

He was studious and got the top grades in his class. His classmates admired him from afar, letting their gazes follow longingly after his shadow as he strutted down the shiny, metal hallways of the school building.

He was knowledgeable in the history of The Society, knowing that The Great War a hundred years ago wiped out nearly all of humanity. Humanity has since been repopulating, putting restrictions in order to avoid the disaster of a hundred years ago. They now pick a partner for you at age eighteen, where you are considered a legal adult. How The Society decides on your partner is unknown, people just know it works. They create optimized offspring, with the best genetic traits possible. They create harmony and balance. Best of all, everyone is compliant and obedient. No one asks questions.

The Society had always taught them asking questions can get one into trouble. It is better to not ask questions. It is better to follow and be a respectable, good natured citizen of The Society.

The Society has since removed all forms of discrimination, discrimination based on skin color, intelligence, appearance, even uality. Jaebum had heard that discrimination ran rampant in the past before The Great War and The Great Restoration, but he couldn't believe it.

How could people live in such discord, such chaos?

He shook his head in disbelief at the mere thought of life before The Great Restoration. 

Things were better now.

Now that Jaebum is eighteen, he is officially a graduate of Secondary School and can move on to be Selected for a job and a partner. He will have to take skill aptitude test to be placed in a job, he knows wherever he's placed, it will be near the top of the social hierarchy because he has always ranked the highest on any of the ranking tests given to him.

He will also be given a partner. Someone whom he will create genetically perfect offspring with. 

Everything is perfect for Im Jaebum.

Except when you put Bambam into the picture.

Bambam is like the anomaly that should never have happened. 

When Jaebum arrives at the Matching Office, they hand him a slip of paper with two unmarked boxes. The lady gives him a sympathetic stare, telling him the results will not be shown to anyone but the Matching Officials.

On the simple piece of paper, there are two options.

Male or Female.

He thinks he can imagine himself creating a perfect nuclear family, one with a pretty wife with long curly hair, sparkling eyes and probably two beautiful children. But then he is hit by an even stronger vision, one where Bambam is smiling up at him. Those beautiful eyes twinkling, filled with happiness. Jaebum is hit with a strong sense of belonging, the image being burned to the back of his mind.

He is surprised by how much he wants that image to be true, to be a reality. He holds back a sob because he's never wanted anyone like he wanted Bambam and the prospects scare him. But he knows, Bambam has already been matched. So he looks down at the paper sadly, before checking the 'Female' box and putting it in the metal box near him.

Bambam wasn't eighteen, in fact he was only sixteen. But The Society took Bambam into special consideration. Through their government inspections, The Society had decided Bambam would be one of the few that would be matched early.

His leaning was already towards males (it was written down on his profile for The Society officials to see), and he exhibited strong characteristics that he would produce especially enhanced children should he be matched with another male. So The Society took action into their own hands.

When Jaebum had found out from his parents, he'd almost broke the glass he was holding.

Jaebum had marched over to Bambam's house, fortunately, it was Bambam who answered the door.

Bambam looked the same as ever. His hair looks soft, his bangs a ridiculous pink. His big eyes stared at Jaebum expectantly, his skin still that addicting glowing tan color.

Jaebum looked at his best friend, and he felt his gut twist on the inside.

"Hey, Jaebum! Whatcha doing here? The Matching officials just dropped by to give me my first set of pills."

Jaebum is snapped out of his reverie at the mention of pills. That meant they were prepping Bambam to conceive children (him being a male and all). That meant Bambam was really getting matched.

Bambam was getting matched, and it wasn't to Jaebum.

For some reason, everything about this situation seemed wrong, even though they had shared nothing of that sort to begin with.

Jaebum wants to grab Bambam and hide him, he doesn't want Bambam to be matched to some random stranger, he just wants to be with Bambam. It was supposed to always be Jaebum and Bambam.

For the first time in eighteen years, Jaebum feels a sense of bubbling hatred for the system. For the first time, he feels himself question The Society and its matching program.

What did they do when people felt like Jaebum did? What did they do when people already had someone they wanted to be with? Did they just completely disregard it, ignore it and tell the two people they can't see each other anymore?

Jaebum tries to smile, but it comes out more of a grimace than anything. "Do you know who your match is yet?"

Bambam shakes his head (and Jaebum lets out a mental sigh of relief). "Not a clue. They say that I'll find out soon though!" Bambam smiles a radiant smile, and Jaebum feels his heart ache a little. If only he could be as happy for Bambam as Bambam was for himself.

Jaebum suddenly feels dizzy, because Bambam is going to leave him for another man soon, and there is absolutely nothing Jaebum can do about it. The thought is nauseating, twisting his innards and leaving him completely and utterly vulnerable. He wishes there was a place without people or systems. Somewhere he could take Bambam where there were no rules, no matching, no deciding for them.

Jaebum doesn't tell anyone about his feelings, because once someone is matched, it is explicitly forbidden to have any romantic or ual feelings of any sort for a matched person and vice versa. Except, how do you stop your feelings? Jaebum has tried, but they keep returning, stronger than before.

Bambam is asking him a question, and Jaebum immediately tries to ditch his dark thoughts. "Have you found out your match yet?"

Jaebum shakes his head. 

In the present, Jaebum stares at Bambam's house. He somewhere ended up here. The house is bland of color, like all houses in The Society. They all look the same, monotone and monotonous. Anything and everything that escapes individualism. 

Bambam is in the house, doing who knows what. Jaebum has been standing outside for close to fifteen minutes, although he's quickly losing count. Bambam had said he would meet his Match today. Jaebum wants to ask Bambam what he was like, but he was afraid that there would be affection in Bambam's eyes for this unknown man. He's not sure if he could handle that.

The thought that Bambam could already be attached to this man made Jaebum feel like his heart was getting ripped out and torn to shreds. He felt like a dying man. 

After a few more minutes of staring at the house emptily, he finally steeled his nerves and walked over to the door. There is a slight moment of hesitation, but he decides that its now or never. He needs to know.

As soon as his hand descends upon the door, its open in a split second, Bambam's face appearing through the crack,

"Jaebum! I thought you'd never come over!"

Jaebum just nods slightly.

Bambam opened the door and let Jaebum inside. They were walking up to Bambam's room, as they always do. When Jaebum settled on Bambam's bed, he immediately began rattling about his day.

"So I finally met my Match! I was so nervous, I was literally shaking the whole time that I was waiting."

Jaebum just laughs because he can imagine little Bambam looking like a scared deer in the middle of large, official looking building for matches.

"Then this tall, handsome guy walks in. At first, I thought he was walking towards this really pretty girl a few seats down, and then guess what! He walks towards me and plops down across from me! I was so sure he was straight."

Jaebum doesn't like where this is going. Bambam's tone of voice lilts like he's in a dreamy state of mind, his voice saturated with sweetness. He sounds excited and happy. Jaebum feels himself become uncomfortable.

"So, I started freaking out more because this ridiculously gorgeous guy is my Match!"

Jaebum thought he was pretty good-looking too. Everyone always told him how stunning he was. He also so how the girls eyes would follow him whenever he would walk down the halls of Secondary School.

But as soon as Bambam's voice was excited, it falls back to its nonchalant tone again. His eyes lose their twinkle.

"I don't know. He was so gorgeous, but something just wasn't right. I know, its crazy, right? Here I am, with the most gorgeous man ever across from me, but I still felt dissatisfied. Like something was missing. I don't know, I guess I'll learn to love him the more I get to know him?"

Jaebum's head perks up at that. Bambam hadn't been satisfied with the guy? The thought of Bambam convincing himself that he loved this man made Jaebum furious. It also gave him a glimmer of hope. 

Jaebum weighed his options. If he confesses, he could ruin their friendship. Then again, it will already be ruined if he keeps these feelings in any longer. So in the end, Jaebum thinks " it all." And lets the words tumble out of his mouth before he can stop them.

"Bambam, I think I love you."

Bambam freezes, his eyes widening as he stares at Jaebum.

"I love you too, Jaebum."

Jaebum feels frustration building up because Bambam's not understanding the weight of his confession, and if he doesn't get this out now, that man was going to have Bambam's heart before Bambam can ever  know Jaebum's feelings.

"No, Bambam. I think I love you."

Bambam stares at Jaebum before the realizaton hits. Bambam puts both hands over his mouth, letting the confession sink in.

Its silent for a long time. Neither one saying anything, and neither one making a move to leave. Bambam is staring at Jaebum, and Jaebum is staring right back. This is the moment of truth. Where Jaebum will probably get his feelings rejected and ten years from now, they may run into each other again, except each of them will have families and they will just pretend that they don't know each other. Jaebum's heart aches at the thought.

Bambam slowly gets up and begins rummaging through his closet. Jaebum lays there, afraid that Bambam is going to bolt out of the room any second.

He gets up when Bambam hands him a piece of paper. Bambam looks nervous, his eyebrows furrowed in an unsure expression. Jaebum takes the piece of paper and unfolds it. It looks like it was ripped out of a notebook.

It was dated three years ago.

"Dear diary,

I'm in love with my best friend."

Jaebum freezes at the words, and rereads them again. He keeps rereading the lines, making sure he read them right the first time.

The words on the page are sticking out, his mind trying to process the content. He almost feels like he's in a dream, as though this isn't happening. He'll wake up in a second and Bambam loving him back will all be a fantasy. The moment is so fragile, so precious, Jaebum wants to remember this forever.

Bambam is now looking at anywhere besides him. Jaebum gathers his resolve before standing up and hugging Bambam as physically close as his body will be. They are squished up against each other, silent, just listening to each other breathe.

Jaebum looks down at the crown of Bambam's head. He stores this memory away forever. The feel of Bambam's soft body against his. Their breathing mingling together. He makes sure to remember this forever, a figment for infinity.

Bambam's thin arms encircle his waist, hugging him tightly. Its as though a mirage of emotions Bambam had been hiding for the past month were released in an emotional flurry.

He bursts into tears, fat drops clouding his watering eyes as his nose begins to get runny. He sniffles and cries into Jaebum, snuggling his head closer, aching for more contact.

"I-It's not fair. I don't w-want to be matched to someone I don't know. I thought I could.....grow o-out of these f-feelings. I j-just want to be with y-you."

Jaebum closes his eyes, melding with Bambam, he didn't think it was possible to want someone even closer.

"You know I would never leave you."

Bambam lets out another involuntary sniffle. "It's not that you would, its that we don't h-have a choice, Jaebum."

Jaebum looks down at Bambam sadly. Bambam's eyes reflect the same sadness. The Society doesn't allow people to choose matches. And to elope with someone is a capital punishment. Its not taken lightly.

And in this short part of a lifetime, Jaebum's felt the most emotional he has in all his life. He thinks that a love this strong brings out the irrational in him, all the parts of him that hurt and want the most. He has also never experienced something quite as beautiful as what he has with Bambam.

A part of him thinks that if other people experienced a love like this, maybe they could feel sentient, real and absolutely alive.

He also knows that The Society doesn't care for being alive, they just want obedience. He also knows they would disapprove of this, this connection he and Bambam share. 

Jaebum thinks that if he hadn't loved Bambam, he would be a completely rational, obedient citizen of The Society. Perhaps, that's why The Society doesn't want love at all. It creates irrationality, makes a human being think more abstract, more emotionally, less critically and usefully.

Jaebum wonders if he can go and create a family with a woman, and if he can let Bambam go with that man and create his own family. Jaebum has read books before where the protagonist loves another character, so they let them go and watch painfully from afar.

Yet, Jaebum feels a stinging need to keep Bambam close to his side. He is selfish like that, he could never let Bambam go with that man. He needs Bambam by his side, with him.

Suddenly, an absolutely crazy and insane idea enters Jaebum's brain.

"We could run away together." Bambam lifts his face from Jaebum's chest. "But that's a capital crime, punishable by death." Jaebum looks at him, "I don't care, as long as we're together." He half-expects Bambam to say no and call him a lunatic, but Bambam stays silent before his eyes harden, and he nods.

"As long as we're together." Bambam nods, as though he's decided on his fate.

They seal it with a chaste kiss to the lips. Its soft, slow, perfect and genuine. It is filled with an anxiety of the future, but also tenderness. The warmth is still on Jaebum's lips when he returns home.

The days fade away like grains of sand slipping through is fingertips, and Jaebum's life blurs together. He recalls meeting his Match but the event was so discluded from importance that he barely even remembers her face let alone her name.

The clock ticks down until Jaebum finds himself sitting in a grandiose room with about seventy other people. There is a tall, young and handsome man at the front of the room, adjusting his tie, looking for the same person Jaebum is.

Bambam bursts through the doors, wearing a pristine white dress shirt and black slacks. He is wearing makeup that emphasizes the sparkling of his eyes. Jaebum marvels at how beautiful he looks for a second before he stares straight ahead.

Bambam's wedding day, everyone looks so happy. It is a morose occasion for Jaebum himself. The young man at the front, Yugyeom, looks breathtaken when he spots Bambam, and Jaebum has to resist the urge to rip out the guys eyeballs from his sockets.

Bambam walks down the aisle with a step full of purpose. Through all of Jaebum's years knowing Bambam, he has never seen him look so determined, so fierce. Bambam had always been somewhat of a shy person, always bending to other's wills. Now, he looks ready to take on the world, as though nothing in the world gave him any fear.

They are saying their vows, and Jaebum's hands tighten around each other. He visibly flinches when their lips seal, a final promise made.

There is a banquet afterwards, everyone dancing, laughing and socializing. Bambam disappears down a hallways, arriving in an empty room. Jaebum enters a bit afterwards. Bambam runs into Jaebum's arms, before he takes the ring off of his finger, throwing it down.

Jaebum takes out a ring from his pocket, it glitters in the sunlight, before gently placing it on Bambam's ring finger. They stare at each other a few moments, before they kiss each other slowly.

The two lovers take off before anyone can suspect anything is amiss.

When the guests begin to realize that one of the grooms is gone, they go on a frantic search. Yugyeom opens door after door, before he finds an empty room with an abandoned ring.

He picks it up, his fingers shaking.

His fist clenches, his facial expression morphing into one of anger,

Five Years Later

Its not easy being on the constant run from The Society. The Society extends far beyond known capacity, and Jaebum and Bambam have found themselves in constant hiding, the odds being against them.

Yet the freedom of being in love with each other keeps them determined and strong. At the end of the day, Jaebum is Bambam's and Bambam is Jaebum's.

Jaebum is headed home after another day at his job working for an underground company. He made sure to find a job where the officials couldn't track him.

He opens the door, only to realize that the place is eerily silent. Bambam is usually always causing a ruckus, cooking or whatnot. He also usually greets Jaebum with a kiss on cheek and a gentle "How was your day?"

Jaebum shuffles through the house, more apprehensive than usual. There is no sign of Bambam.

In the kitchen, Jaebum finds a half-made meal and a note on the kitchen counter. Its an official summons to the Matching Office. Jaebum feels fear creep through his body.

He bolts out of the house, afraid any second wasted is one more risking every one of Bambam's.

Jaebum arrives at the Matching Office within a half-hour. He looks at the steel building, vaguely remembering a more innocent time where he went in to decide his match so many years ago.

Life has a cruel way of making parallels. He walks in and hands the official Summons to the lady at the front office. She gives it a grave look before motioning for him to follow her. 

He is taken to the recesses of the office, passing hallways and rooms he hadn't known ever existed.

He is stopped in front of a blank white steel door. She scans a card before leading him in. The door closes with a slam behind her.

The room is pure white and blank, the monotony of it all makes Jaebum sick.

In the middle of the room, Jaebum spots Bambam, sitting with his head ducked down.

Jaebum immediately runs over, hugging Bambam. Bambam looks up, startled at the sudden contact before he is weeping, clinging onto Jaebum as though he were his only life support. They continue to cling onto each other, before the hear the door open and another figure steps into the room.

His face has become more adultish, his hair shorter and his eyes more hardened, but Jaebum can still recognize the man Bambam was supposed to be matched with, Yugyeom.

He is wearing a long black coat, his face a mask of concealed rage. Yugyeom walks with brisk steps towards them.

"Well, well, looks like all that searching finally paid off." His voice is sardonic, dripping with venom. Jaebum thinks that Yugyeom would have been nice if he hadn't ran off with his Match.

Bambam is alert, his eyes following Yugyeom as he paces around them, like a predator eyeing its prey.

Jaebum finally speaks up, careful to prevent his voice from shaking. "What are you going to do to us?"

Yugyeom lets out a dark chuckle. "The problem is simple." He faces Jaebum, his facial expression suddenly not very amused.

"You are the problem." He jabs a finger at Jaebum. He looks at Bambam. "He was supposed to be my Match. Perhaps everything would have gone smoothly, if you hadn't interfered."

Bambam slaps Yugyeom's accusing finger away. "I went on free will. He's not anyone's problem."

Yugyeom faces Bambam. "You don't seem to understand. Eventually, you will run out of love for something that is an ancient memory. He'll just be part of the past. You can forget about him and return back to me and we can live a normal life. One where he is not included."

Bambam's eyes widen in horror. "Y-You're killing him? What about me? You have to kill me too!" 

Yugyeom laughs louder. "I'm in charge of this whole police force, you think I can't pull a few strings. Besides, I'd always had a high position, how do you think I got you to be matched with me?"

Bambam's eyes furrow. "That's impossible. You can't pick your matches, its against regulation."

"Not if you've got connections and money."

Jaebum suddenly feels sick at the idea that he and Bambam are stuck in this hellhole, while there are people like Yuygyeom, who can pay people off to be matched with whoever he wants. Corruption never ceases, no matter what form the government may take.

Bambam brings Jaebum closer to him. "I'm not leaving him."

"I'm afraid you don't have a choice, but since I feel like being lenient, you can feel free to watch."

Bambam is grabbed by two guards, both on either side of him.

Two other guards drag Jaebum to his feet, as another one comes in, holding a gun. When Bambam sees the gun, he starts kicking and screaming. He thrashes uncontrollably, but the guards don't let go.

The guard lifts the gun up before aiming it towards Jaebum's heart.

Jaebum turns to look at Bambam. He tries to think if he feels any regret. He sees Bambam's crying face, but he can't feel any regret for running away with him. He feels no regret loving him. He gives a smile to Bambam, as though communicating all his feelings through that one genuine smile.

Bambam looks back at him, terrified and an absolute wreck.

I love you.

A gunshot reverberates through the air.