Elevator Life

Elevator Life

Sungmin was a twenty-close-to-thirty office worker in a rather big office building. He had an apartment, a dog and a lot of train tickets. The old friends was gone starting their own lives with house and wife/husband and kids. And he was left alone, happily working his daily routine of early mornings running in the park, office during the day, lunch at the same small restaurant around the corner and the steamy kisses late at night with a man.

The man was working a few floors higher up in the office building and every time they met in the elevator Sungmin would always end up pressed against the wall of the elevator, a knee between his legs and his fingers in the other mans hair.

The man had a car and a better salary, a chicer apartment in a better neighborhood and a bigger television. But that was okay because when he was held back in the elevator as they reached the ground floor and followed down into the underground garage it was always a promise of a night filled with intense pleasure.

Always at the other mans place.

The other man didn't even know where he lived.

This had been going on for almost a year now and they always only met in the elevator, the older mans car and in said mans apartment. But that was fine too. Just that sometimes he wished that the man would come by his office and ask if he wanted to eat lunch together, just sometimes he wished for the man to ask if he could follow Sungmin home for a change.

What had started as intense looks and kisses had turned into a love story. And Sungmin was pretty sure it was one sided.

But that was okay too because he told himself and everyone that asked that he didn't want that type of life; he didn't want the house and the kids and the wedding. Although it sometimes sounded rather nice. And the last part was something that he rarely even admitted to himself.

This particulate night Sungmin had stayed late at the office; he was rather down as he had seen his old best friend publish a picture of his newborn on Instagram. It made Sungmin wonder if the life he had chosen was really worth it or if he should break his well organized schedule and make some time to look for a pretty enough girl. Maybe pop a few kids before he turned forty.

He had also stayed late because he knew that the man in the elevator wouldn't stay this long in the office a Friday night and he really didn't want to feel sad as the other man didn't invite him over.

He looked out the window beside his desk and watched the glass house just across the street. It was another office building, but for bigger companies since the rent was a bit higher.

They used to joke about the building across the street an say that it was a big fat mirror, and it was kind of true. One could see the lights from their building reflect on the mirror glass windows and Sungmin could see that besides him there was two other persons left above him and one on a floor under him.

Sungmin decided it was time to go home, maybe he could watch a movie and eat some cookie dough, maybe pick up some ice cream on the way. So he turned off the light on his desk and packed his briefcase with some work he was going to finish during the weekend, before heading to the elevator.

Coming closer to the elevator he thought about taking the stairs instead, the elevator would hold all those bitter sweet memories of his afternoon kisses with the elder man. Deciding that he was too tired he called for the elevator and wondered about what the man was doing right now.

The door opened and the man was standing there with a bouquet of red roses, smiling towards him. Or rather smirking.

“Hello princess, my name is Kim Heechul and my middle name is y Beast because that's what you've been screaming from under me this last year. I hope you don't think that I'm too forward if I go down on my knees to propose to you because that is what I'm planing on doing as soon as you step inside this elevator.”

Sungmin was standing there gaping, not knowing if this was some sort of joke or if he just was dreaming. The man, or Heechul as he said his name was, was waving for him to get inside the elevator and with hesitant steps he followed the man inside.

The man want down on one knee as he said that he would and took Sungmin's hand.

“I wont lie and say that I know everything about you and that you're the love of my life; but I do think that we have fun together and tonight an old schoolmate posted a picture of his newborn child on his Instagram and I felt old and alone. I was thinking and we have fun and we see more of each other that any other potential partner would, lets get engaged and date.”

Sungmin was still shocked and from all of the little speech all he could remember was the part about Instagram.

“Your friend don't happen to be a Shin Donghee?” Sungmin asked and Heechul looked up at him with a raised eyebrow. “He was my best friend during university and posted a picture like that today.” Sungmin shrugged.

“As a matter of fact he is.” Heechul got up. “So, would you like to marry me? We could have the fun parts of married life and skip all that sad and boring stuff.”

Sungmin was now smiling, the feeling the joy bubble inside him as he looked inside Heechul's eyes; the man was serious. This could actually be fun, even if they didn't end up married in the end.

“Sure.” He answered and wrapped his arms around Heechul's neck. “My name is Lee Sungmin, you surely know my middle name since you chant it a couple of times a week and you'll have to buy me a wonderful engagement ring so I have something to brag about at work.”

Heechul laughed and pulled Sungmin closer, closing in on his face with a smirk on his lips.

“Sure, I wouldn't want to loose my little princess when I've finally got you.”

 

Fin