Symbolon

Symbolon

♦◊♦ Symbolon ♦◊♦

 

Yifan is next in line for the throne.

 

He is next in line, and people are getting busy for his coronation which is going to happen a few weeks from now. Maids are busy cleaning the palace, guards are way even more strict than they were before ("It's the King's orders, Prince Yifan" one guard said. "He said we can't risk you getting hurt, knowing you're next in line." Yifan wanted to roll his eyes at that.) In conclusion, everyone is busy. Yifan is irritated.

 

But what he hates the most is the fact that he has to marry someone he doesn't know.

 

Seriously, is it even required to do that? Does he have to marry and live with someone he's sure he can't love just to be able to sit on that throne where his father is currently sitting? If that is so, then he wants - really wants to back out from this horror. Of course, he voiced this to his father, and his father only gave him a disdainful look at dinner, saying "If you're going to act like that, then I'm not going to hesitate to give this throne to your brother."

 

Yifan doesn't want that to happen. Well, okay, Yixing may be good, maybe even good than him, but he always spaces out, and that's one of his flaws that their father doesn't like. What if he did become the new king and he suddenly spaced out in certain meetings? Yifan doesn't want to think about those anymore.

 

So here he is, sitting by his chamber, his hand on his chin as he looks outside. He watches with boredom as everyone rushes around for his coronation. Come on, can't they relax for a little bit? It's still two weeks away, why are they even rushing? He heaves a sigh, and it fogs the clean window glass, but he really doesn't mind.

 

Someone knocks, knocking him out of his trance. He sits straight and sees Yixing on the door, in his royal clothes and smiles as he walks towards his brother Yifan. The latter just sighs and leans back to his chair even more.

 

"What is it?"

 

"Aren't you prepared yet? Father is calling you right now. Says he wants to discuss about something to you." Yixing says, still smiling, and what he said are the words Yifan wishes he didn't say.

 

Still he stands up with a sigh, towering over his brother and looks at him before straightening up and says, "Fine, I'll be going."

 

Yifan finds his father sitting on the royal living room, sipping tea. As soon as he sees Yifan approaching he sets his tea down and motions for Yifan to sit down, Yifan does, and he wishes his father isn't going to talk about something he really dreads.

 

Luck is not with him today. Well, it's not as if it has ever been, he thinks, and he resists the urge to make a beeline towards his chamber.

 

"This is about the marriage, Wu Yifan." His father says, room speaking for no arguments. So Yifan leans down on the velvet couch. Has this couch been really uncomfortable?

 

"They are coming here three days from now, the Royal Kim Family. So I'm hoping you'd behave because this is for your own good."

 

How is this for my own good? Yifan thinks and scoffs. His father gives him a glare and he behaves immediately, but not before saying, "Father, is marriage really required here? Well, it's only about me being the next king, right? So why do I have to marry someone -"

 

"That doesn't work that way, young man." His father says, all authority that Yifan regrets ever explaining things to him. He isn't going to win anyway. "It's  in the rules that the person next in line for the throne must marry first before being the king. So stay quiet and prepare for their arrival. And remember, behave."

 

♦◊♦

Yifan doesn't believe in soulmates. He thinks it's just a waste of time. Why would anyone believe in that anyway?

 

So he wonders what has gotten in Yixing's mind, because the latter always talks about soulmates, day and night, and it really irritates Yifan.

 

"Can you please, stop this talk about soulmates, please?" Yifan says, pleading clear in his voice as Yixing talks enthusiastically about a book he just read. Unfortunately it was still on the topic of soulmates. Yifan wonders how the hell Yixing remembers everything about this nonsense and even forget about his responsibility, which happens all the time. They're currently in the garden, where they always hang out since they were kids.

 

Yixing just stares at him with a what the hell look. But still he goes on. "Listen to this: ‘Each of us is but a symbolon of a man…and each is ever searching for the symbolon that will fit him’ -"

 

"Please just stop. I don't even believe in those things." And Yixing looks offended.

 

"Why?" He whines and Yifan fights the urge to roll his eyes. "This is really true. You know, I wish I can find my own, that way, I can be really happy." There seems to be a glint of hope in his eyes as he looks up smiling. Yifan just scoffs and looks at the sky.

 

"Okay, mister soulmate guy. How do you know if it's already your soulmate or something?"

 

"Well for one, when you see that person, it feels like you've been missing a part you didn't know was missing. And you feel complete, and contented... And a lot of other things, I don't know yet but that's what I read in books."

 

"Tch. So weird." Yixing just laughs and they say silent for a long moment.

 

"I don't want to get married, Xing." he says sadly, and Yixing just nods and hums in response.

 

"Of course. No one wants to be forced. If only we're normal people Yifan, then it wouldn't be this way. But we aren't normal. We belong to a royal family, and it's a responsibility." Yixing holds his shoulders. "Please, just give this a try." He smiles. "Who knows, this one might be your soulmate! Your symbolon!"

 

Yifan shuts him up with a push on the shoulder.

 

♦◊♦

"The Kim family is already here, Young Prince. Your father calls you to meet them." the maid tells him, and Yifan is already dressed in his royal robes. He just hums in response and the maid goes. Yifan sighs before walking towards the royal living room.

 

His father is on one velvet chair, talking to two people seated on another velvet couch in front of him. One of the visitors is just silent, eyes roaming around the living room, as if admiring the designs on the walls and ceilings. Seriously, what an ignorant.

 

"Oh, Yifan, you're here. Sit down." Yifan does so, sitting beside his father, just in front this young man who is dressed in royal robes. He looks at the young man, but the latter doesn't even notice his stare, just keeps on letting his eyes roam around the room.

 

"Well, such a fine young man." The man beside the other says, smiling. He must be the King. "It's a pleasure to meet your son, King Wu."

 

"Hello." He says formally, face not even smiling. "I am Wu Yifan. It's nice to meet you."

 

"Ah, yes. It's nice to meet you too. I am the king of the Kim family. And by the way, this is Kim Jongdae, my son."

 

Upon hearing his name, this Kim Jongdae stops looking around and looks straight at Yifan.

 

The two just stare but it seems like Jongdae doesn't even know who he's looking at. It's like he's looking past Yifan's head.

 

Jongdae's father nudges him on the side and Jongdae breaks out of his trance (that's what Yifan thinks, maybe he's just out of this world or something) and greets. "Uh, hi. I'm Kim Jongdae." And that's where Yifan notices, as he still keeps on staring at Jongdae, that the latter's brown eyes are clouded with white. Yifan wants the world to eat him up.

 

Jongdae is blind.

 

Jongdae is blind. And Yifan doesn't like that. Just, what the hell? How is he supposed to marry a person who can't even see him?!

 

"Hello, Jongdae." he says, hoping it doesn't sound like a hiss.

 

The name rolls off perfectly in his tongue though, as if it's so natural for him to say that.

 

Seriously, his life is playing a joke on him.

 

♦◊♦

Yifan doesn't talk to Jongdae. Yifan doesn't want to talk to Jongdae, and he doesn't care if the wedding is going to be tomorrow, he is not talking to Jongdae. The blind young man is - well, blind. What has gotten in his father's mind that he decided to let his son marry a blind man?

 

Jongdae's father decided that Jongdae was going to stay in the Wu Palace, and Yifan really wanted to slam his own face on the palace walls when his father agreed to that, saying it was perfect since Yifan and Jongdae could get to know each other.

 

Jongdae was just silent through the laughter and chatter that time, eyes glazed and wide.

 

Jongdae is still quiet as of today.

 

He's currently in the palace gardens, sitting cross legged as he feels the breeze on his face, and giggles silently when a squirrel decides to crawl and stop and rest by his hand. Jongdae doesn't mind and goes back to feeling the breeze.

 

Yifan watches the scene with furrowed brows and walks away, not paying any attention to the blind man.

 

Once again, people are busy preparing for the wedding tomorrow, and Yifan wishes he was just a normal person.

 

♦◊♦

The wedding went well, Yifan thinks, and he sighs as the maids and servants prepare a feast for the Prince and his – wife – husband – he doesn’t know.

 

Jongdae is standing by his side, making a big contrast to Yifan because the latter is so tall and Jongdae is – well – deprived of height (Yes, that may do, Yifan thinks. And he wants to laugh. He just talked about Jongdae’s height.)

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, let’s give a toast to the newlyweds!” And everyone claps. Everyone except Yifan. And Jongdae.

 

Jongdae just stays silent all throughout the celebration. When his father asks him if he’s alright, Jongdae just nods and smiles, eyes looking at his father but not really, because yes he’s blind and he doesn’t quite know where to really look at.

 

And really, time flies so fast because before Yifan knows it, he’s already in his royal chambers, ready for sleep.

 

And worse – Jongdae is with him.

 

He paces around the room, footsteps soft but fast. Yifan ruffles his hair with his hands and sighs.

 

Really, what is he going to do with the blind boy now? Does his father actually expect that he’s going to sleep with – oh, hell no. He doesn’t want to do that. He barely even knows Jongdae!

 

Jongdae is on the edge of his bed. No, their bed. Their bed now. His hands are on his lap, his clouded brown eyes looking at the ornamented walls of Yifan’s room. He stays silent still.

 

Yifan thinks that Jongdae has been listening to him sighing and walking around all along because the first thing Jongdae says this night is: “I can sleep in another room, if you want.”

 

Yifan’s eyes widen and he shakes his head, though he knows the latter can’t see it. “Uh, no. It’s okay. Uh –“

 

“Look,” Jongdae says, voice soft as the morning breeze and it brings contentment in Yifan’s heart just hearing it – what. “I know you’re not comfortable about this, and I would like to say sorry. It’s not supposed to be like this, and I know it’s my fault anyway. It’s my fault that you’re stuck with a blind man in most probably forever.”

 

Yifan stays silent, shocked as he looks at Jongdae’s small form on the bed, the latter’s eyes downcast and head down as he stares blankly at his lap. He plays with his fingers and stays silent after that.

 

The soon-to-be King gulps and says instead, “You can go to sleep now. Good night.”

 

“Aren’t you going to sleep yet?” Jongdae asks, head looking around for the voice but then Yifan just stays silent.

 

“No.” He answers. “I still have something to do. But I’ll be sleeping later.”

 

Jongdae nods, and smiles, blind eyes sparkling and forming into crescents and really, Yifan thinks, it looks like Jongdae isn’t blind even for just that one moment.

 

"Good night."

 

Except he doesn’t sleep. All through the night he just watches the blind man’s body under his covers, breathing even and eyes closed.

 

He wonders how he can get to love this person.