On the Way

Middle School, 6th Grade

Well, I kinda hoped that I would be able to write faster...oh well.

Anyway, hope you like it!


Sunny POV

 

Sunny hopped out of her mom’s car and waved her mom goodbye. 

 

“Have a great day!” her mom smiled at her.  It was easy to see the resemblance between the two with their cheerful grins.

 

“See you later!” Sunny smiled and watched as her mom left her at the bus stop.  She sat down on the sidewalk of the street and checked her watch.  Five more minutes until the bus comes. Enough time to finish Cinder!  Sunny pulled out the book from her bag and started reading. 

 

“Um, hello,” She looked up from her book and saw a shy looking girl standing next to her.  She smiled at her.

 

“Hi.” She waved at her cheerfully. 

 

“When does the bus come?”  the girl asked in a polite voice. 

 

Sunny checked her watch.  She frowned.  “It’s already 7:00.  The bus should be here by now.”  They looked down the street to check but there was no sign of the school bus.  “Must be late,” Sunny said while marking the spot in her book.

 

The girl, no longer looking shy and polite, rolled her eyes and sat down next to Sunny.  “Isn’t it not the best way to start your first job of bus driver being late?” she said.  She laughed. 

 

“Yeah, probably.  Maybe there was traffic or something, I dunno. Still, not the best way to start the day. Haha, that rhymes!” They laughed. 

 

“Oh! I didn’t even introduce myself yet, did I? My name’s Seohyun.  What’s yours?”

 

“Sunny!  Weather names, for the win!”  She pumped her fists in the air and let out a whoop.   Seohyun laughed.

 

“Hmm..,” Seohyun said, mocking seriousness, “It seems to fit your personality.  Coincidence?  I think not.”

 

Sunny rolled her eyes playfully.  “Yes, Seohyun, I planned to be born with this name.”

 

Sunny put away Cinder back into her bag.  Seohyun looked at it curiously.

 

“What book was that?”

 

“Hmm?  Oh I’m reading Cinder.  It’s about a cyborg girl who lives in New Bejing and it’s kind of like a clever twist to Cinderella,” she said.

 

“I know, I already read it although I am DYING to read Scarlet,” Seohyun said while smiling, “ I heard it’s really good and I really wanted to start reading I during my summer but the library didn’t have the book.  I hope the school library does.”  Suddenly, they heard the sound of tires rolling on the gravel road. 

 

They look over and see the school bus braking to a stop in front of them.  Seohyun immediately gets up and looks at Sunny. 

 

Sunny looks at her with puppy eyes and extends her hands.  She sighs and pulls her up. 

 

“Thanks,” she said. 

 

“No problem.”

 

They loaded the bus together with a bored looking driver watching them walk in.  They went looking for a seat and went to sit in a three-seater on the bus.  The bus suddenly lurched forward.

 

“Whoa!” Sunny said while regaining her balance and slid into the seat, pulling Seohyun along with her.  She rolled her eyes.  “Really nice of the driver to do that.  I seriously appreciate it, you know?” she said sarcastically.  Seohyun chuckled.

 

“So anyway, back to the conversation…”

 

 

YURI POV

 

Yuri drove to school in her car with her mom.  Her mom was trying to engage her into a conversation but eventually gave because Yuri kept on dozing off. 

 

“Yuri!  Wake up!  It’s the first day of school and I will NOT have you sleep on the first day like last year!”  her mom said.  Yuri nodded and rubbed her eyes.

 

“Sorry, it’s just that I’m so used to waking up later,” she said while rolling her neck and stretching her arms out.  “It’s so much earlier, and summer just ended…”

 

“Still, that’s no excuse to sleep in school.”  Yuri grumbled but didn’t retort. 

 

When they finally pulled up at the school, Yuri opened the car door and lazily got out. 

 

“Bye mom,” she said while yawning.

 

“Bye Yuri, have a good day.  Oh, and make some new friends!”  her mom said. 

 

“Okay, okay. Bye!”

 

“Bye!”

After her mom’s car left she walked into school.  She was suddenly getting more and more self-conscious about the people around her.  Are they looking at me?  What are they thinking?  Oh, I hope middle school won’t be so bad!  Yuri looked around nervously and walked on into the building.

 

The way all the other students walked in was into the cafeteria where they waited for the opening bell to ring. (Yes she did pay attention to the orientation.  Whoopee.)  She walked over to a lunch table and plopped her backpack onto it, next to a pink backpack.  A girl was playing on her phone next to the backpack.

 

She was fairly pretty for her age.  She had shoulder-length, straight black hair like Yuri’s except hers looked more well-cared-for, unlike Yuri’s who didn’t give a thought for conditioner.  Her hands were dainty and she had shining black eyes that held a certain sparkle that made her seem innocent and approachable.

 

Yuri took a deep breath, and took a step towards the girl.  …make some new friends her mom had told her.  Guess she should start now. 

 

“Hi,” she said with uncertainty to the girl.  She looked up from her phone. 

 

“Oh, hi!” the girl said and smiled at Yuri.  “What’s your name?”  she asked.

 

“Yuri,” she replied and sat down next to her.  Yuri held out her hand.  “What’s yours?”

 

“Tiffany,” she replied, shaking her hand.  “Nice to meet you.”

 

“So, are you nervous about middle school?”  Yuri asked her, trying to start a decent conversation.

 

“Ohmigod, yes!  I mean, I heard the workload is SO much larger in middle school and I don’t know ANYTHING about the teachers.  I mean, yeah, they seemed nice during orientation but you never know, you know?  Oh wow,” she said, shaking her head and smiling.  “Not really the broadest range of vocabulary either.”

 

Yuri laughed and said, “Yeah, reading is not exactly my strong suit.  But you know what I really hope is better in middle school?”

 

“What?”

 

“The school lunches.”

 

They laughed and before they knew it, the bell had rang and they both said bye to each other and set off to their lockers, happy at the thought of having a friend.

 


So what did you think?  Leave me feedback in the comments, I like comments  ^^

*By the way, the next chapter is going to be the a girl and a boy meeting  ;)  *