Office Hijinks

Office Hijinks

"Hot!" YouBim exclaimed snapping up from her chair. She looked down both surprised and angry that her seat was covered in something hot. Knowing her luck though, it probably wasn't water, but coffee. Sighing she quickly made her way to the restroom. Examining her clothes she hoped they wouldn't stain and tried to do some spot treatment. After drying her light blue pants the best she could, she slipped them back on and tried to rearrange her outfit to cover the stain. She sighed looking at the result and vowed to stop drinking coffee.

 

As soon as she exited the bathroom she heard snickering behind her. Already knowing who it most likely was, she turned ready to smack him. He stopped her hand mid-flight and started full-out laughing.

 

"Let me go," she struggled to loosen his grip on her arm. He tightened his grip as he swung her around and lifted up her shirt to reveal her . He in his breath and YouBim took the chance to escape from his grip. She turned quickly and fixed her blouse back over the destroyed area. "What is wrong with you?" she scoffed as the office playboy known as L started laughing again.

 

"What? It's hilarious! You love coffee so much you want to wear it!" His lean but muscular arms covered his stomach as he bent over from laughter. While his attention was distracted, YouBim quickly headed back to her office, stopping to grab some paper towels to clean up the mess.

 

---------The Next Day-----------

 

YouBim sat in her office chair (void of its seat pillow) and worked on typing up her report. She heard snickering and glared over her computer monitor at the culprit.

 

"What is wrong with you?" she hissed after thirty minutes passed. "Can't you just get to work and stop snickering? Seriously!"

 

L tried to stop himself from laughing, but he couldn't help it. YouBim was so cute when she was angry and he really didn't want to stop messing with her. Feeling bad, he got up and discreetly walked around to check out YouBim's desk. He noticed her usual morning coffee cup was empty. Making his way to the break room, he made her a cup. A dash of milk and sugar, he thought to himself as he mixed the hot drink. On the way back to his desk, he slid it into her view and walked back around as if nothing happened.

 

YouBim watched him like a hawk and didn't know what to expect from him this time. L was always playing pranks on her. The coffee probably had salt or soy sauce in it. She set the cup aside and out the way. Lunch time finally came around and YouBim was happy for the break. There was a new ramen shop around the corner that she couldn't wait to try out. As she gathered her things she felt a presence and tried to ignore it. She heard the voices of her coworkers quiet as they left and looked up to see she was suddenly alone with L in the office.

 

L's eyes were missing their usual spark and seemed sad, his full lips slightly downturned. YouBim felt herself wanting to ask if he was okay. Snap out of it, she chastised herself and shook her head.

 

"Can I help you with something L-shi?" she asked as cordial as possible.

 

"Why didn't you drink your coffee?" he asked, trying to hold back the hurt her felt.

 

"I don't drink coffee anymore," she said as she stood to leave for lunch. "Plus, who knows what you actually put in it. Did you really think I wouldn't be suspicious?"

 

"Oh," L said trying to reign in his disappointment. "I'm sorry," he said quietly.

 

YouBim's eyes widened. I can't believe it! He's actually apologizing to me? After everything he's done for the past few months?

 

"Ummm, YouBim-shi?" L asked tentatively.

 

She was surprised at L's behavior. Why in the world is he suddenly acting like this? Did something happen to make him apologize. Ah! Maybe the boss caught him and said something. "Yes?" she answered nonchalantly.

 

"Ummm, if it's okay, would you like to ummm, join me for lunch?" he paused, but not for very long, "I mean if you want to and don't already have plans..." he trailed off and brought his gaze to the floor.

 

YouBim wasn't sure if he was playing a trick. If he isn't though, maybe I'll be able to get a lot more done at work. Plus, it'll be nice if he stops messing with me so much. "Okay," she said dragging L's gaze back to her. "I was planning on going to the new ramen placed that moved in around the corner. You can join me if you want."

 

L nodded and quickly made his way back to his desk to grab his wallet and phone. They rode the elevator down to the lobby in an awkward silence. Leaving the building, YouBim motioned to the right, "it's down there and across the street." L nodded and followed along. YouBim felt that the silence was awkward and wanted to say something, but she didn't know what to say to L other than things about work. And she hated talking about work all the time.

 

Suddenly L grabbed her arm and pulled her to the side just before a scooter hit her. She was shaking a little and unconsciously grabbed L's arm to steady herself.

 

"Are you okay?" he asked, concern written all over his face. YouBim nodded, and they continued on. YouBim finally let go of his arm when they reached the ramen stand. Going in they found they were able to beat the rush and easily found a table with some privacy. After both ordering a pork ramen they sat silently looking at each other, nervously fidgeting with the various items on the table.

 

"Look," L said hesitantly, "I'm really sorry about everything. Especially yesterday. I didn't mean to stain those pants. If you can't get it out I'd like to pay for them to get cleaned or for a new pair."

 

"Okay," YouBim said not wanting to give in too much. "Thank you for the offer."

 

"And for everything else, I'm really sorry," L suddenly grabbed her hands and her shocked eyes met his sincere ones. "Really, I just...I just..." he took a deep breath, "I like you YouBim. I have for a while. But you never really noticed me until I accidentally stapled our papers together. I know you thought I did it intentionally, but I didn't." He paused to take a breath before rambling on, "I know that it wasn't the best way to get it across, but it was the only way you would notice me. I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. I promise I won't mess with you anymore. Just please don't stop talking to me or ignoring I exist."

 

Don't look at me with those eyes! How can someone have such puppy eyes and still be a grown man? YouBim didn't want to cave in, but as she stared into his hopeful eyes she felt the interest that she had start to evolve into something else and take center stage.

 

"Thank you," she said slowly, "for apologizing and for explaining it to me. However," she paused to sip her water and L just about fainted. "What exactly do you want from me? Do you want to date? Do you want to become friends? I need clear and exact lines."

 

"You're my girlfriend," L said quickly and without hesitation. His plush lips spread into the largest smile YouBim had seen on him and watched it spread into his eyes, bringing back his normal mischievous spark. They spent the rest of their lunch hour chatting and went back to the company holding hands.

 

--------------A Few Months Later------------

 

YouBim was sitting at her desk feeling exhausted from staying up most of the night before prepping for a big proposal. If she did well on this she could get a big promotion. She was trying to keep herself awake and was trying to run through her presentation one last time. Before she saw the mug he set down, she smelled the coffee L made for her.

 

"I know you said you stopped drinking coffee, but you clearly need it. Trust me."

 

YouBim didn't care and sipped the cup, feeling instantly better. "This is perfect. Thank You Myungsoo-shi."

 

L smiled and walked back to his desk. She's finally drinking coffee again! Maybe she's not angry about the coffee stain anymore? L watched his girlfriend going over her presentation. He could see the nervousness rolling off her and wanted to calm her down. He grabbed a pencil and scratch paper before scribbling on it and folding it into a plane. He tossed it at her quickly and left the area.

 

YouBim was surprised at the sudden paper landing on her desk. She looked around noticing L's back walking out. She unfolded it quietly.

 

            "Meet me at the 7th floor balcony."

 

YouBim glanced at the time. I have 45 minutes. It won't hurt to step out for a moment. She quickly made her way to the 7th floor. Exiting to the balcony she took a deep breath in the fresh air. She looked around and finally found L sitting on a bench overlooking the city.

 

"Why did you want to meet here?" she asked sitting down. L turned and smiled at her, handing her a cold canned vanilla latte.

 

"I thought you could use the fresh air and escape your nerves for a little bit." YouBim glanced down at the coffee and took a deep breath. "I also wanted to say something to you."

 

YouBim looked up to see L with a very serious look. "I know that your presentation will go well. You've over-prepared again and you shouldn't be worried. You will do great." He paused to take a sip from his own can.

 

"Thank you Myungsoo-shi," YouBim said blushing. She still found it hard to believe when he was nice to her, but she was a little confused. "This is what you had me meet you out here for?"

 

"No," L took a deep breath, set his can down and turned to face YouBim straight on. "I wanted to tell you that I love you, more than anyone else in the world. And I know we just started going out, but I want to date you seriously. I want to marry you. This is where I want to end up. And I know that it's still early and too fast for you, but accept this." L pulled out a jewelry box. He opened the top revealing a silver necklace with two hearts intertwined. It's not a proposal. It's a promise to propose."

 

YouBim wasn't quite sure what was happening and was having trouble understanding. "I...I don't know what to say..."

 

"Don't say anything, just accept this gift. What this means is someday I will propose. And it will be sweet and romantic, and at the right time. I promise."

 

YouBim latched her arms around L's neck, kissing him on the lips. He smiled into it and wrapped his own arms around her waist pulling her in closer. She loved the way his soft lips fit against hers and the way his arms made her feel safe. Pulling back she smiled sheepishly at her pre-fiance.

 

"Can you put it on for me?"

 

L smiled and quickly pulled it out of the box and attached it around her neck. YouBim smiled and grazed the pendant with her fingertips.

 

"Thank you so much Myungsoo." He smiled at her informal greeting and gave her a small peck.

 

"Now, time for your presentation. Are you ready?"

 

"Always," YouBim said grinning and grabbed L's hand, leading him back inside.