Writing Exercise 1

Room For Improvement

Disclaimer: Credits to Wikihow.com


Character Development:

A big part of writing is character development and setting up scenes. Take a look around you. Pick a person you see and write about him/her. Observe this person and develop his/her character. What is his/her name? What does he/she do? Where is he/she going? Is he/she shy or social? What is going on in his/her head? Cover everything about this person from his/her family background to his/her inner struggles. From there, you will be able to see just how creative you are.

 

Organization:

When you're describing the emotions of one scene with one character, it would be easy for you to lose sight of the main picture and you would end up getting lost in your own story. Grab a piece of paper or a notebook and outline your story step by step. Start by splitting up the story into the introduction, the build-up, the , the cool-down and the conclusion. Then, add in major events. Just a few words will do. E.g. Minho gets hit by Key. After that, add in minor events that that led to those major events. Once that's done, add in the progression of the characters' emotions during these events. Having this visual aid will help you focus on each scene without the need to waste any time remembering where you're going with your story.

 

Intro & Transition:

Nothing can be more frustrating than the inability to think of a clever sentence to start your next chapter. Even lousy transition sentences between paragraphs could lose your readers. In order to get inspiration, browse through works written by successful authors, or you could use your favourite authors, and write down the sentences that have the strongest effects on you. Of course, there is a difference between copying their work and drawing inspiration from their methods and style. Whether it's blunt sentences to take you off guard or questions directed towards the readers, take each method and make it your own by coming up with your own transitions to draw in your audience.

 

Dream Stories:

Finding inspiration is another roadblock in which writers face. Try to pen down your dreams the moment you wake up. It doesn't matter if you only remember snippets and scenes that are out of order. Write down every detail immediately. Repeat this process every day of the week. At the end of the week, Take all of the information from your dreams and write a story with it. Your dreams will more likely have nothing related to one another but that's fine. From there, take all the scattered information and try to link them with one another to form one story. Trying to connect everything will help you improve your ability to create plot twists and to make your story flow.

 

Verbs & Adjectives:

A great story can be ruined by overused adjectives and verbs. Evocative, specific words help put your readers in the scene.

Take this sentence as an example:

He walked through the door and put his briefcase down.

This sentence above doesn't give the reader much to work with, does it? Now compare the sentence above with the following sentence.

He burst through the door and marched in mechanically, releasing his briefcase and letting it tumble to the floor.

Doesn't it paint a much clearer picture?

Now, write out a scene without putting much thought into the specific words. Once you're done, go through the adjectives and verbs to find better alternatives. Add in adverbs to be more colourful in your writing. Be careful with the thesaurus though.

'She briefly pondered the situation.' and 'She obsessively agonized over the situation.' can both be good alternatives for 'She thought about the situation.' but they depict two different emotions. So, be sure you're using the right alternatives.

 

Description:

A good writer can put the reader directly to the scene. This means having the ability to describe things really well. Write down the manner in which things work, such as how to tune a guitar or how to change a lightbulb. Once that's done, read what you have written to a child. If he/she doesn't understand, put the terms and enhance the details until he/she does. This is to help you practice writing details in a way that is clear and specific. Beautifully descriptive language is useless if it's muddled.