Forever

Forever

“Don’t pretend to not know, turn your head and look at me. Don’t avoid my eyes, I definitely can’t give you up. Come a bit closer don’t stop. If I hold you everything’s alright,” a voice breathed softly in Kyungsoo’s ear.

He buried his face into the blood-stained white shirt, inhaling deeply. Despite its coppery scent, he could still make out the smell of home and sun and clean sheets and Jongin. Jongin was still there, underneath the blood and dirt and death that seemed to follow them everywhere.

Kyungsoo let out a sob, clutching the shirt beneath his fingers. Jongin turned him slowly in a circle and pulled him close, strong arms holding the shaking man to his chest.

“Shh... Shh, it’ll be okay,” he murmured. Jongin placed a gentle kiss on Kyungsoo’s soft hair before resting his chin on top of it. They continued dancing to the music that played in their heads, ignoring the fists pounding on the windows. And the doors. The roof. The walls. Everywhere.

They danced through the sound of shattering glass and ignored the stuttering moans of the rabid mob outside. The scent of death and decay grew now that the window was broken, and the upper half of a body hung through while others pushed to climb in. Neither man dared look in case it was someone they knew.

“I love you,” Jongin whispered.

Kyungsoo pulled away just slightly, staring up into Jongin’s eyes. “I love you too.”

He buried his face once more in Jongin’s shoulder, breathing rapidly so that he might remember Jongin’s smell in the afterlife, might remember the sound of his heartbeat, thrumming so forcefully that Kyungsoo was certain it would continue for years.

Kyungsoo could feel Jongin’s soft smile as he pulled his face up to look at him once more. They leaned in, lips meeting for a long, chaste kiss. Jongin hummed the rest of the song, and Kyungsoo imagined they would stay like that forever.

Forever doesn’t last very long during an apocalypse.