The Dinner

Secrets

YOUNGMI's Point of View:

    I shook my head trying to make the memories go away. I grabbed the milk from the refrigerator and poured it into a cup.

    "YoungJae!"

    "Coming, noona!"

    "Here is your glass of milk."

    "Thanks. You know today is Saturday, right?"

    "Of course I know it's Saturday. I picked up JaeHee from Saturday school and dropped her off at ballet class today."

    "Then you do know that people are coming over tonight for Mom's birthday."

    "Shoot, I totally forgot! I have to make dinner. Do you know what time mother is coming home?"

    "She said that she's going to get her hair and makeup done, so probably two or three hours from now."

    "Okay, I have time. Can you do me a favor and call SooBin for me? Ask her if she can pick up JaeHee for me."

    "Okay."


YOUNGJAE's Point of View:

    I grabbed my sister's phone and looked for SooBin noona's contact. It wasn't that hard to find because the only phone numbers my sister had was mine, Mom's, JaeHee's, JaeBum's, and SooBin's. SooBin is my sister's only friend. Literally only friend. I pressed call and it started to ring.

    SooBin answered, "Yoboseyo?"

    "Hey SooBin noona. My sister was wondering if you could pick up JaeHee after her ballet lesson again."

    "Sure no problem, I have to come over for our school project anyways."

    "Thank you."

     "Bye."

    I hung up the phone and yelled, "She said yes!"

    "Thank you YoungJae!"

      I stared at my sister preparing dinner. I could tell that she was making Mom's favorite soup and side dishes. I felt bad for my sister. I knew that I was only dad's kid too. I overheard mom yelling at her once and I figured because we had different names from JaeHee and JaeBum.  My sister thinks that I don't know. I know that she's working hard so that I can stay in this house. I'm going to make lots of money so I can take her out of this place. 


YOUNGMI's Point of View:

    Two hours passed and the food was almost ready, so I began to prepare the dining table. I decorated the halls to the dining room. I tried to make it simple but fancy. I went around the house and cleaned up everything. Just as I was going into the kitchen, mother came into the house. 

    "Did you prepare dinner?" she asked as she was coming in.

    "Yes and I cleaned the house."

    "Okay. Where is JaeHee?"

    "She should be here anytime soon. I asked SooBin to pick her up."

    "Alright then get your brother ready. Make sure he looks presentable and nice. You have to dress nicely too."

    "Do you want me to do anything else before?"

    "Oh yes, don't forget to get JaeHee's dress ready."

    I went upstairs into YoungJae's room and said, "Wear something nice for tonight."

    He nodded and I went out of his room into JaeHee's. I got her dress and accessories ready in her bed. I then went back downstairs and went to the backyard. I ran into my "house" and changed into the only dress I owned. As I walked back into the house, SooBin was at the door with JaeHee. 

    "Hey SooBin! Hey JaeHee! JaeHee, I put your dress and accessories on your bed. Hurry up and go change before the guests are here."

    JaeHee smiled and nodded at me and ran up the stairs.

    "SooBin, thank you so much for picking up JaeHee."

    "Don't worry about it. You know we have a project due on Monday, right?"

    "Yeah, don't worry I wrote the research paper already."

    "Hello Mrs. Im! You look nice today," SooBin said as mother was walking by.

    "You're here again? Well you can stay for dinner only because you picked up JaeHee."

    "Thanks Mrs. Im," she replied as she smiled. 

    I nudged her and we were heading to the kitchen, when the door bell rang.

    "Our guests must be here," mother said as she opened the door.


JENNY's Point of View: 

    The door opened and I saw JaeBum's mom. 

    I gave her a hug saying, "Happy Birthday!" 

    I looked behind her and it was YoungMi and her annoying friend. I entered into the house when I saw JaeHee running down the stairs.

    "Hi Jenny unni!"

    I hugged JaeHee. I didn't like any of JaeBum's siblings. JaeHee was an annoying little girl who followed me around, I just don't like YoungMi, and YoungJae was also annoying. If they weren't JaeBum's siblings, then I wouldn't have to put up with them. 

    Then, JaeBum's mom grabbed me saying, "Jenny, I'm so glad you came. Don't you have a tight schedule with your group TriStar?"

    "No don't worry about it. Of course I would come for your birthday. Here's your present."

    She then gave the present to YoungMi and I noticed that JaeBum was downstairs. Then I saw JaeBum looking at YoungMi. Why does he never say hi to me?! I ran towards him and I put my arm through his arm and smiled at him. 

    "Hey JaeBum! Did you miss me?"

    Of course he ignored me. All the guests were coming in and taking there seats. I followed him to the dining room. He sat at the corner, so I sat right next to him. I wanted to ask him what he wanted for his birthday since it was in exactly two months. I wanted to be the first one to give him the best present. I looked at him. He was perfect. Good thing his mom liked me. I was determined that he will be mine. I smiled with my mouth closed so he could see my light pink lipstick I put on. He didn't even look once, so I looked at my nails. I thought that my stylist did a good job this time. It was a pink French-tip with sparkles on the top half of my nail. She did the same with my toe nails and it matched my dress perfectly.   

    JaeBum's mom stood up and said, "Everybody, everybody. Thank you everyone for coming. The food will be served in just a second."

    Finally! The food is here. Why is she serving the food? I looked around the table and people were just talking to each other. I then looked at JaeBum's seat and he was gone. He probably went to the restroom, so I decided to stick my leg out. I'm sure she would just fall on her face. She'll be fine. I guess...


YOUNGMI's Point of View:

    The soup was ready and I carefully placed the food on the platters.

     "Everybody, everybody." I could hear mother from the dining hall. "Thank you everyone for coming. The food will be served in just a second." 

    I knew that that was my cue to wrap things up. I pushed the kitchen door into the dining room with the side dishes in my hand. I placed them in the middle of the table. I walked towards the kitchen door, scooped soup on each bowl, and put the some of the bowls in a platter. On my third round from the kitchen, I was almost done passing out all of the soup. I got to the end corner and I put the last bowl of soup on JaeBum's section and turned around. I was heading back to the kitchen, when I saw a foot with pink shiny nail polish stick out of nowhere. I tripped and I started falling with the tray.