Bloom (Taehyung's POV)

Bloom
Taehyung seldom walked to school. It was a rare occasion when he was able to wake up early enough to get breakfast, even more rare when he could stop eating in time to leave, and the rarest was when he could actually make the 7:40 subway and get to school before they closed the gates. He was forced to sprint from the subway stop everyday and climb over the fence in the back of the school almost as often.
 
But, here he was, walking to school. It was strange. He had plenty of time and wasn’t used to it at all. He decided to take the long way to school, the scenic route, so he could see the cherry blossoms falling. They were beautiful. The small white petals gently fell off the branches and came to rest on the ground before him, and the wind whisking them away shortly after.
 
It was then that Taehyung saw him for the first time. He was crouching down in front of a small box, a ramen cup in each hand. He placed them both in the box. Taehyung was confused, so he walked a bit closer to see what the other was doing. Inside the box were two kittens, both white with a few light brown spots here and there. The boy picked one of them up, resting it on his knee and scratching behind its ear lightly. He smiled down at the little kitten and Taehyung felt his face heat up. A few petals landed on the boy's hair and the other felt a sudden urge to them away. What the hell? Why am I feeling this way about someone I don’t even know?
 
The boy looked down at his watch, sighed, and placed the kitten back in the box before getting up and walking away. Taehyung couldn’t move. He had many thoughts running through his head, wondering if he should ask the other for his name or phone number, or if maybe he should just forget about the other entirely.
 
Taehyung looked down at the kittens in their box and pulled out his phone to take a picture. He looked at the time and nearly dropped his phone. It was already 7:30 and he still had a long way to walk. Looking back down at the kittens, he made an impulsive decision. He picked up the box and started walking to school.
 
♥♥♥ 
 
They met officially the next day. Jin dragged the poor kid over to sit with them at lunch claiming he had just found the cutest thing ever. Taehyung's breath hitched when he saw Jeongguk, remembering how the younger looked under the cherry blossom and the feeling he got in his stomach when he smiled.
 
“Umm… Hi. My name’s Jeon Jeongguk,” he said, his voice soft, looking down at his feet. “I just transferred from Busan.”
 
“WAAHH! Awesome! I’m from Busan too!” Jimin shouted, jumping up from his seat and reaching across the table to bro-hug Jeongguk.
 
“Sit down and be quiet. People are staring,” Yoongi said, tugging Jimin back down by the hem of his shirt, and the other allowed himself to be pulled down with a pout on his face. Jimin was definitely strong enough to remain standing if he really wanted to, but he really couldn’t refuse Yoongi. None of the others could ever figure out why Jimin did whatever Yoongi told him to, though Taehyung could see the way Jimin looked at the older when he thought no one was paying attention. Taehyung had been wondering lately if he was the only one of his friends who was never going to get a boyfriend. Even Hoseok had a girlfriend, though she went to a different school.
 
While Taehyung was staring off into space, wondering about the future of his teenage love life, the others were fawning over Jeongguk.
 
“You have the most adorable baby cheeks ever!” Hoseok exclaimed, pinching the poor kids cheeks.
 
“Isn’t he just the most adorable thing you’ve ever seen? He looks just like a little bunny rabbit,” Jin said, taking a seat next to Namjoon and giving him a peck on the cheek. “Don’t you agree Taehyung?”
 
The other was still spacing out, staring at Jimin and Yoongi.
 
“Taehyung!” Jin called, waving his hand in front of the other’s face. The other still didn’t reply.
 
“He’s in alien mode, Jindda,” Yoongi said, directing his attention to Taehyung. “Yah! V!”
Taehyung snapped out of his thoughts. “I thought I told you not to call me that in public!”
 
“Right. Right. It’s your alien name or whatever. You’re undercover or something. Anyways, Seokjin was trying to ask you a question,” Yoongi said, brushing the younger off. Taehyung looked back over at Jin, not saying anything.
 
“Don’t you agree that Jeongguk is adorable?” Jin asked.
 
“Ahh… I… well… I…” Taehyung glanced around the table, then back to Jeongguk. “I- I have to go to the bathroom.” Taehyung got up from his seat and left the table, hiding the splash of red on his cheeks.
 
Really adorable.
 
♥♥♥
 
“Oh, Taehyung! You’re in this class too? I didn’t know you sing!” Jeongguk said excitedly, sliding into the seat next to Taehyung, who flinched and dropped his pen on the floor. They both bent down to pick it up and their fingers brushed. Taehyung felt a small spark fly up his arm. He had that feeling in his stomach again. It was the same one he had when he saw Jeongguk smile. He quickly drew his hand back and looked up at the younger. He blushed when he realized how close their faces were. The other smiled.
 
“Your eyes…” Jeongguk said, searching over Taehyung’s eyes. “They’re really… awesome. I could just get lost in them”
 
What? What are you saying?
 
“What made you want to dye your hair orange?” Jeongguk asked the other, sitting up in his seat.
 
Taehyung sighed. “The others dared me to. The only reason I’ve kept it is because there’s a bet.”
 
The other gasped. “But- But gambling’s illegal! We aren’t eighteen yet!”  Taehyung couldn’t help but chuckle at this. The younger was still so innocent.
 
“We make bets about everything. You’ll get used to it. Anyways, its not hurting anyone amongst friends is it?”
 
“No, I guess not, though you did have to dye your hair,” Jeongguk said, using Taehyung’s pen to draw a small doodle in the corner of the page.
 
♥♥♥
 
Taehyung was just coming around the corner to meet his friends at the main entrance to the school when he heard them talking in semi-hushed voices. Finding this quite suspicious, Taehyung hid, peeking around the corner to try to hear what their conversation was about.
 
"I'll wager ten bucks that it'll be before prom," Hoseok said loudly,(Of course this guy can't stay quiet) shoving his hand in his pocket and fishing around for some cash.
 
"What? The kid doesn't seem like that much of a wimp does he? I say it'll happen before New Year's," Namjoon said, pulling out a ten. The Kid? Who is The Kid?
 
"Oh my gosh, hon, Jeongguk doesn't seem that easy does he? I'll say before spring break," Jin too fished a ten dollar bill out of his pocket. Why are they talking about Jeongguk? Does somebody like him?
 
Taehyung felt a bit of annoyance at this. Someone was trying to ask his Jeongguk on a date and wait- not his, but you know, Jeongguk.
 
"You guys are ridiculous. It'll happen within a week, tops," Yoongi said, pulling two tens out of his pocket. Raising the wager? Wow, he must be pretty sure of himself.
 
The rest all groaned, fishing out tens to call the bet.
 
"Taehyung? What are you doing here?" Taehyung jumped at the sound of the voice behind him. He whipped around to see that it was Jeongguk. Play it cool, Taehyung, play it cool. You got this.
 
"Oh um there's a bug that I'm killing right now," Taehyung decided. Okay, good start, you’re doing well.
 
"Oh where? I want to see! Is it big?" The younger was being all curious and innocent, which Taehyung was finding very cute, especially with the big bright smile on the younger's face.
 
"It's right… Ah! Where did it go?" Taehyung exclaimed looking at the wall and the locker next to him.
 
"Awww… it ran away?" The younger pouted. "I wanted to see it!" Taehyung felt the heat rise in his cheeks. Cute…
 
"It must have gone back to its own dimension," Taehyung said. What the hell? You were almost cool. You tried. Here, have an E for Effort.
 
The younger gave him a confused look, but shook it off and smiled brightly again. "C'mon Taehyung, everyone's waiting." Taehyung just nodded and followed, still mentally scolding himself.
 
♥♥♥
 
"Gookie~!" Jimin called, pulling Jeongguk into his lap. Everyone else seemed fine with it, but Taehyung felt a little irked. How dare you Jimin! You should know he is mine! Taehyung looked over at Yoongi to see him murdering his salad with his fork. And people think I'm weird… There must be something actually going on, if it's enough for Yoongi to get jealous.
 
"Gook, aren't you hungry? Want to come with me to get food?" Taehyung asked, just hoping to get him away from Jimin.
 
"Gookie~ Ahh~" Jimin cooed, holding a spoonful of rice in front of Jeongguk's face. The younger gave Taehyung an apologetic look before chomping down on the spoon, smiling his stupid perfect smile that always gave Taehyung butterflies. Jerk…
 
Taehyung got up to get some lunch, a sick angry feeling spreading throughout his stomach.
 
♥♥♥ 
 
“Gookie!” Jimin called while Jeongguk and Taehyung walked out of the school building, still in a heated debate over the best plan of action for fighting off a newly released strain of the small pox disease.
 
Shut up, Jimin. You’re loud, annoying voice is already giving me a headache.
 
“Oh Jimin! I missed you~” Jeongguk said, cutely giving Jimin a hug. Taehyung was taken aback by this.
 
“When did you guys become this close?” he asked, trying not to scowl too much.
 
“Eheh… well, we just kind of clicked since we’re both from Busan and we both like singing and dancing and stuff
you know…” Jeongguk rambled out.
 
Jimin possessively wrapped an arm around Jeongguk’s shoulder. “Got a problem with it?”
 
This was a completely new side of Jimin, one that Taehyung had never seen before. He was simply too shocked to do anything but just stare, mouth agape and eyes wide, as Jimin grabbed Jeongguk’s wrist and pulled him out of the school.
 
Damn right, I’ve got a problem with it.
 
♥♥♥
 
It was simply the next day that Taehyung decided he couldn’t take it anymore. It might have been the way the other was smiling nonstop the whole day. Or the way the Jeongguk doodled a cartoon of Jimin in the corner of his paper during English. But it was most likely the gaze that Jeongguk shared with Jimin during lunch. It was a look that had COUPLE written all over it.
 
And Taehyung hated it.
 
“Jeon Jeongguk, the council of cloven elders is calling you to trial,” Taehyung said. Jeongguk simply looked at him, confused, before looking around at the others for help.
 
“V needs to talk to you, Gookie,” Yoongi said, smirking. “Alone.”
 
Why the hell are you smirking, ?
 
Taehyung threw a French fry at Yoongi. “Don’t call me V!”
 
“Okay! Taehyung where should we go?” Jeongguk said, excitedly latching himself to Taehyung’s arm, causing the other to blush and rocket up from his seat.
 
“Follow me.” Alright, V, you have already shown yourself, so go away for the day. Please just let me be cool.
 
The two walked out to sit on a bench in the courtyard.
 
“Are you and Jimin dating?” Taehyung asked, getting straight to the point before losing his courage.
 
“No! Why would you think that? Ew. Jimin feels more like a brother to me,” Jeongguk replied, his face contorting in disgust at the thought. But Taehyung’s eyes widened.
 
You’re all in, Tae, go for it.
 
And with that, Taehyung leaned over and gave Jeongguk a small peck on the cheek and pulling away quickly to look in the other direction and hopefully hide his blush.
 
“Taehyung…” the younger squeaked, bringing a hand up to touch the spot the older had kissed. “ Do you… do you like me?”
 
Taehyung’s eyes widened. He quickly looked at his crush, and, seeing the look of realization and that amazing smile, turned away again. He nodded slightly, biting his lip in nervousness.
 
Then, two arms came around his shoulders and into view. Jeongguk’s chest pressed against his back. Taehyung could feel how fast the other’s heart was beating, and was sure Jeongguk could feel his as well.
 
“I like you too,” Jeongguk said quietly, giving the other a peck on the cheek as well.
 
♥♥♥
 
“See! I told you it would be a week!” Yoongi exclaimed, collecting the stack of money on the lunch table. Jimin was now sitting in Yoongi’s lap. “I don’t think you should pretend to like someone just to win a bet though, Minnie.”
 
“But I want to go on a date with you, Yoongi,” Jimin replied, acting like his cute self.
 
“And you think I’m gonna use my winnings to do that?”
 
“But I helped! You should treat me to something!”
 
“Maybe.”
 
“Yoongi~~!” Jimin tried acting cute again. And everyone chuckled.
 
“Maybe we should go on a date too,” Jeongguk said quietly to Taehyung.
 
“Want me to walk you home today?” Taehyung said at the same time.
 
They both laughed quietly and connected their foreheads.
 
“Throw in an ice cream and I’d call it a date. It’s a win-win,” Jeongguk said.
 
“It’s a win-win regardless, silly,” Taehyung replied. “Either way we get to spend time together.”
 
“Ew! You’re so cheesy over there!” Jin and Namjoon both threw a couple fries at the new couples.
 
“You guys were even more disgustingly cheesy when you started going out,” Hoseok replied, carrying on eating and typing away on his phone, probably talking to his girlfriend.
 
The two started bickering with each other and with Hoseok, who was barely paying attention. Taehyung couldn’t keep the smile off his face.
 
“I’ll meet you at your locker after school,” Taehyung said, eating one of his French fries, and Jeongguk just smiled his bright butterfly-inducing smiled.
 
♥♥♥
 
“It’s so pretty!” Jeongguk said, looking around at the cherry blossoms. They were still falling, blowing around in the wind, landing in Jeongguk’s hair, and making it impossible for Taehyung to stop smiling.
 
“I came down this street before, on my first day actually,” Jeongguk said. “There was a box up ahead with these two kittens. They were so cute! But they looked so hungry! I couldn’t just let them be, so I fed them some cheap fish.” Taehyung blushed. Oh, I remember that day, perfectly. “They were right over there, but there gone now. Do you think someone took them home? I hope their okay.”
 
“They probably went to a really nice home,” Taehyung replied. I should know… They’re in my own home.
 
“You’re probably right.” Jeongguk replied. The two walked in silence for a bit, simply holding hands and enjoying watching the petals fall. But something caught Taehyung’s eye and he pulled Jeongguk over.
 
“Wow, it looks like it just bloomed,” Jeongguk said in fascination.
 
That's not the only thing, Taehyung thought, smiling at Jeongguk.