The Pain

Letting Him Go

 

Victoria crumpled the pictures and fought back her tears. She found it hard to breathe and slumped down on her bed. She begun to count and soon her breathing was normal again. Tears run down and continued to roll down her cheeks. She couldn’t bear to look at his face again and when she realized that it was still in her hand, she dropped it. She had become weak all of a sudden. Her head swirled, scenes flashed in her mind even though she tried to stop them. Wasn’t it a few months ago when she and Nickhun made a pact to continue to love each other no matter what happen?.....

                Victoria was a college sophomore and Khun was in his late twenties. Their distance was more than one space, time, age and family background. Yet for 3 years they have proved that they could bridge their gap. But how come is it that he told her now that soon he’ll be marrying a girl named Yuri? He had confessed that he got her pregnant. She wanted to shout and curse herself for loving Nickhun that much that the pain is so unbearable. Memories of Nickhun filled her. Their happy moments, when they were still a couple, the laughs they had shared, the fights, the way he , the fun that she had when she was still with him. She reminisce their first meeting.

                They were once a stranger to each other until…

 

                “Hi Victoria!” somebody called her Victoria in the cafeteria having a break after her exhausting dance practice. The voice came from a tall, simple guy who was approaching towards her table. Her heart gave a leap when he smiled at her and in return, she also smiled at the stranger.

                Sulli elbowed her and whispered “He’s kinda cute!” while giggling.

                “Is this seat taken?” the guy asked.

                “No”, Victoria replied. “How’d you know my name?”

                “Ohh, that? I heard it from your friends”

                “Want some chips?” Victoria offered.

                “No, thanks. I’ll go and order for myself.”

                “He’s cute!” Seohyun announced while Nickhun is at the counter.

                “Yeah! I love his eyes...oh my...” Sunhwa said dreamily.

                She just smiled to herself knowing that she too is attracted to this stranger. She noticed that this guy has a pair of eyes that sparkle and a smile that would make your heart jump whenever he smiles.

                “Are you with us?” the guy startle her. Victoria blushed being embarrassed that the guy caught her daydreaming.

                “Would you like to introduce yourself Mister?” she asked.

                “Oh, yeah! I’m sorry, I almost forgot!” he chuckled. “I’m Nickhun Horvejkul, 21 years old and recently a 4th year at Seoul University. But I prefer to be called ‘Khun’.

                Victoria introduced herself and friends. They chatted for hours. Nickhun was a jester so everybody laugh whenever he’s telling a joke. It is as if Khun is already part of the group. They got along with each other easily.

                “You dance well” Khun to her after the song practice.

                “Thanks for the compliment” Victoria responded.

                “Can I walk you home?”

                “No, it’s okay. My house is just a few blocks away from here”

                “I just want to make sure you’re safe”

                “Okay, if you insist.”

                Days, weeks, months had passed. Their friendship got stronger. Khun would always walk her home after the practice. Time has come when both of them no longer wants to be just friend. They wanted to enter into a deeper relationship.

[End of flashbacks]

 

                The phone rang. Victoria stood up and wiped away the remaining tears. She struggled downstairs and answered the phone.

                “Hello, who’s this?”

                “Vic! Is that you? Are you alright? Have you been crying?” Sulli was on the other line.

                “Yeah, I’m okay. I just had a huge fight with my mother”

                “So you will come? We have practice this afternoon, remember?”

                “Yes, of course. I’ll be there.”

                “Okay, see you there! Bye!”

                “Thanks for the reminder” she hung up.

                Victoria hurried up to the bathroom and took a shower. She had a practice and couldn’t afford to miss any of it since it was nearing their competition. She rushed to her room when she received a letter. She was anticipating a good new since it had been a month since she received a letter from Nickhun. She waited till the end of the day to read the letter so she could put a smile for the rest of the day.

                The practice seemed endless for her. She couldn’t focus on her practice since her mind was filled with the memories that she and Nickhun has shared. At last the practice ended. She was not in the mood to go gimmick with her group mates so she went home directly. As she entered her room, memories of Nickhun again entwined her. She kept asking herself what would Yuri look like and why Nickhun did chose that girl instead of her.

                “He told me he loved me? He made me believe that it is I whom he will take to the altar someday. But why did this happen?... What have I done?.. Why?.....” Victoria cried bitterly.

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Done with chapter one. I guess i'll update tomorrow for the last chapter. Sorry it's just short.