Red

Red Was the Name He Was Given
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

10 years old: Kim Hae Won

My excitement only grew as we got closer to our destination, the hallway seemed endless thanks to my eagerness to get where we needed to be. My father told me that it was today that I was going to meet a special person. Companion or a friend, in my own interpretation of his words. For me, that is the only thing I could ever wish for. I followed after my father with a bounce in my steps. Ever since he told me, a smile never left my face. My little body couldn’t contain the immense excitement building up.

Who was this person?

Why was I meeting them now?

Why couldn’t this have been sooner?

But, those questions didn’t matter much to me. It had been a long time since my father had allowed something like this to happen. Being in the position that I am, I wasn’t allowed much freedom to meet anyone or have any freedom for that matter. So this little meeting meant a lot to me, even if he didn’t know.

“Hae Won, come here.” My father reached out for my hand and I eagerly grasped it. We both stood in front of a group of seven people, known to be my father’s loyal protectors, people that had pledged their allegiance to my father.

“King, Princess.” They acknowledged and bowed respectfully at my father’s and my presence. At first glance, these people may look ordinary, but underneath all that, these men are different from us humans. They were gifted with special abilities that make them stronger than us in every way possible.  

They were werewolves.

One of the men, that my father calls ‘Steel’, turned around and ushered a young boy forward. My heart skipped a beat. It must be him. “Yong Guk, greet the King and Princess.”

13 years old: Yong Guk

Yong Guk, who still did not know why he was here, cautiously took steps forward and bowed. Placing his hand across his stomach and the other by his side respectably like how his father had taught him. It was the first time ever that Yong Guk had stepped foot into the palace. Ever since he was young, he only knew of the field behind his home, the place where he trained. My father smiled down at him and Yong Guk lifts his head to scan the room. What was he doing here in the palace? It must be a special day, he thought.

“It is nice to finally meet the son of Steel.” My father commented with a kind smile on his face.

“Yong Guk from now on, your job is to protect the Princess.” Steel told his son, rather abruptly.

Yong Guk’s eyes widened. “What? I’m not babysitting.” He blurted without thinking about the consequences of his words.

The knights immediately tense up. Yong Guk’s rudeness was not at all expected, in fact, Yong Guk had always been obedient and respectful. “Yong Guk.” His father sternly called him. “This is what you have been trained for, do not be impolite.”

I, on the other hand didn’t know what was happening. I had thought I was getting a friend but instead I was getting my own knight. On the contrary of how everyone else was reacting to his thoughtless words, his behavior did not offend me at all. While the knights scolded Yong Guk, I giggled quietly to myself.

“It’s fine, Steel.” My father chuckled. “He might just be confused by this whole thing.” My father turned his attention back to Yong Guk. “Yong Guk, I trust that you will protect my daughter.”

But I didn’t need anyone to protect me. I just wanted someone for me to talk to since I have been alone with maids and servers for too long. But if having a knight meant for me having someone I could talk to, then I wouldn’t complain one bit.

My father looked down at me. “He will be your knight from now on.”

A genuine smile stuck to my face. “He’s a funny boy. I wouldn’t mind having him around.” Yong Guk looked up at me and I gave him a bright smile in return.

When Yong Guk saw that smile, something stirred in his heart.

“You need to give him an official title.” My father continued. Like how Yong Guk’s father was called Steel, Yong Guk needed an alias too, for safety purposes. I didn’t know how discriminating it was then, so I gave him a name unknowingly. Something that Yong Guk would hold against me in the future.

It didn’t take long for me to come up with it. “Red.” I answered immediately. But even if I didn’t like the name in the future, the meaning behind the name and the reason why I gave it to him, it meant a lot to me.

I gave him the name “Red”.

Like the color of roses.

They are the very flowers and only thing that I treasure the most in the world. I chose to give him that name.

Meaning I treasure his presence… I treasure him. And I don’t think he ever knew.

____________________________________________________________________________________

12 years old: Hae Won

15 years old: Yong Guk

I ignored the small pokes coming from the branches of the bush and huddled closer to it. Knowing that my breathing could be heard by my seeker, I placed a hand over my mouth and slowed my breaths. I pulled my legs closer against my chest to make myself unnoticeable. I listened closely to my surroundings and decided that the moment I was discovered, I was going to run. But unknowingly, my eyes looked up towards the sky and a feeling of pleasantness washed over me as I felt the sun kissed my skin with warmth.

“Found you, Princess.”

I heard a deep voice and jumped in surprise. He placed his hands under my arms and picked me up onto my feet like how parents would do to their children.

My mouth dropped opened. “I told you I didn’t like it when you do that. I’m not a child.” And he was calling me Princess again, to my displeasure.

“I’ll stop once you stop acting like a child.” Yong Guk retorted back blankly. “That means that this game of hide and seek, needs to stop.”

I playfully narrowed my eyes at him. “You’re always no fun.” Yong Guk didn’t have much of a temper and no matter how much I , he won’t ever give me a reaction. So in turn, I never take his scoldings seriously.

“You can’t hide away from your lessons.” He continued in a bored manner.

I sighed and brushed the dirt off my hands. “I can still try.” A sly grin appeared on my face. “Can’t we have another game before we go in?” I asked with anticipation but he only sighs in response.

“Princess, we need to get going.”

He turned and walked back towards the castle. Ever since Yong Guk took the oath to be my knight, he had taken it really seriously. But, it didn’t matter to me. Being around Yong Guk was fun. I had company and that’s all I ever wanted. So whenever I was with him, I had this feeling of happiness and giddiness.

He probably doesn’t even realize how much I cherish his presence.

I quickened my steps into a jog to catch up to him. “So, how did you find me this time?”

“I smelled you out.” He answered and gave me a side glance.

I knew of the keen sense of smell and hearing Werewolves possessed and my mind was filled with curiosity. “Then what do I smell like to you?”

“Roses.” He answered. “As long as you keep growing them, I will always be able to sniff you out.”

Since I couldn’t go outside much, I turned my attention towards growing roses in my personal greenhouse that I begged my father to build. I wanted something to remind me of the outside. And ever since I started growing them when I was younger, my love

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter