Chapter 1

A Millennium Old Love Affair

“Welcome to the Hotel California~ ♪” The famous song from the 70’s rock band, The Eagles, echoed throughout the room.

                A hand emerged from under the red and black covers of the bed, grabbing the vibrating cell phone from the bed side table and dragging it back under the sheets.

                “You’d better have a damn good explanation for waking me this early in the morning, Ash.” A voice grumbled from under the covers.

                There was a short pause before she answered. “…Alright. And… dad…? I, I love you…”

                The person on the other line was quiet for a while. But when he replied, his voice was laden with relief and reassurance.

                “I love you too, manari mou.” He said, the Ancient Greek phrase he used specially for her ringing in her ears as she disconnected the line.

                Pushing the covers aside, Aletheia sat up, taking in the surroundings of her room. Sunlight seeped through the tightly closed blinds of her extremely large apartment. Books after endless books were piled all over the place. Aletheia had given up on arranging them neatly ever since the bookshelves she bought ran out of space, so she had settled with just stacking them nicely around her apartment.

                Somehow, just the sight of her precious collection of books had erased the memory of her frightening nightmare. Though it was only temporary, it was still a relief. Better get dressed…

                Forcing herself off the warm patch on her bed, Aletheia headed for the bathroom.  The sight of her reflection in the mirror caused her to gasp. Her eyes were puffy and bloodshot, her skin pale as the snow. The white tiles that lined the entire bathroom started to make her feel claustrophobic and dizzy. Her breaths came out in short, wheezing puffs and her pupils dilated. She felt as though the walls were closing in on her, the pressure crushing her lungs.

                Aletheia slumped down against the side of the bathtub, clenching her oversized T-shirt into her fists as she tried to calm herself.

                Stop it!

                Her brain yelled at her.

                Help… Dad…

                She felt as though she would black out any moment now. She had to do something.

                Willing herself to stand, Aletheia pulled herself out of the bathroom and back into her bed, which was now cold. She buried her face in the sheets and without warning, the tears came pouring out. Her wails and moans echoed throughout her apartment. How could she be so weak? Every time she told herself things would be okay, the anxiety and fear would eat her up, inside out. God, why… Why can’t you just leave me in peace… Aletheia sat there, her face and hands buried in the sheets as her long, black hair fanned out around her face, her heart wrenching cries, echoing her somewhat empty apartment.

 

               

                The wide glass doors whirred open as Aletheia walked in to the 30 story high office building located in the heart of busy New Orleans. Her thick-heeled ankle high Doc Martens made a loud clanking sound as she approached the receptionist. Clad in a slim fit black denim jeans and her dark red “DREAM/SCREAM” shirt that hugged her somewhat slim and not-so-curvy figure, Aletheia sent heads turning in her direction. She scowled as two men walked pass her, eyeing her head to toe. Men… Such pigs.

                The receptionist greeted her with a warm smile, which Aletheia returned with her signature strained, tight lipped one.

                “You must be Aletheia. The Boss Man’s daughter right? I was told someone like you would be coming in today. Rarely come in on Sunday’s now do you? Because the ledger here only checks you in after 12 on Mondays till Fridays. ” said the receptionist.

                Do you have to ask?

                Although somewhat irritated, Aletheia shrugged.

                “Yeah.” She said nonchalantly

                She must be a new Helper. Trainee or maybe next in line. Might even be from out of town. Well wherever she came from, someone had better tell her to learn to not stick her fairly long nose out of other people’s business. And that only certain, certifiably insane, suicidal daredevils called her dad ‘Boss Man’.

                Signing herself in using the electronic ledger the receptionist handed her, Aletheia didn’t bother with exchanging pleasantries with the new receptionist. Her first impression on her was that she was just a nosy, newbie. Wet behind the ears of the dangers her job held. Returning the ledger, she made her way to the elevator and hit the up button. The crowd that poured into the office building started building up and as she waited for the elevators arrival, a large group had already gather around her, waiting for the elevator as well.

Just like the ravens…

                Not wanting to be jammed into a can like tunas, Aletheia decided to take the stairs. She felt like she needed to walk the stiffness out of her legs, even though her muscles protested due to all the running. Though it was only a dream, she felt most of the aftermath of it. Her muscles threatened to kill her every morning if she dare move.  Besides, it’s only 13 floors up.