2

Breathe

Maru stabilised her breathing before she opened her bedroom door again. She listened carefully for any sounds to figure out what he was doing downstairs. She could pick up nothing but his slow breathing; perhaps he was seated patiently. She treaded carefully down the stairs, her bare feet soundless on the carpeted floor. She peeked around the living room door. Lu Han had his back to her, standing. He was firmly rooted to one spot, staring at a shelf Maru had installed herself. The shelf was home to various ornaments she had collected, a rare photograph of herself with a toothy grin whilst holding out her first fallen tooth and a stack of books she liked to read often.

“Are you going to come in?” Lu Han called without having to turn. Maru in her bottom lip and pressed hard. Her cheeks flamed up with a bright pink colour; the blush travelled down her neck and tinged the corners of her ears. Finally Lu Han turned.

His eyes scanned her up and down when she finally stood in the room. One arm was bent behind her back so that her hand could clutch her other elbow. He studied her face, appreciating the brightness of her eyes, the faint freckles at the tip of her nose and the enticing curve of her lips. He felt breathless and barely had happened. He wondered, shamefully, how far that blush of hers went.

“Did you, um, want something?” Maru asked. Lu Han noticed she was stumbling with her words less. Maybe he should have knocked earlier instead of surprising her, but that shy stutter made her all the more interesting.

Lu Han shrugged, his hands nonchalantly fiddling with one of the ornaments. It was a small pyramid of clear glass. He twirled it between his fingers. Maru watched carefully, feeling her chest seize up; she didn’t like it when people would touch them. Not that many came by; only her surrogate mother who had brought her up when the pack had found her and the odd member who would spread important announcements.

“It’s just that I have a lot…work to do,” Maru explained lamely. It was a poor excuse but Lu Han had to leave. If anyone caught them together, their secret would be out and Maru was hell bent on making sure that never happened.

Lu Han pocketed the pyramid, all the while keeping his eyes on Maru. She watched his hand slip into his jacket pocket and slip out again empty handed. She frowned but bit back a response. Through and through she felt like the worthless Omega she was therefore seeing Lu Han, a wolf at a much higher rank, steal from her made her feel like she could nothing to retaliate.

But she really liked that specific piece.  She had to say something.

“You, er, can you put that back?” Maru asked, “Please?”

She added that just in case.

“Put what away?” Lu Han looked about him in confusion. However he knew what she was talking about. His eyes danced their way to her lips that were now puckered unconsciously. Her lips were so pink and soft. It just reminded him even more of their kiss in the library. was so supple and worked so well with his.

She was beginning to get a bit frustrated. Maru knew he was making fun of her, just like everybody else, and that just made her wanted to crawl back to her room.

“Stop being…being…” Maru could find the right word to describe him. Lu Han’s head tilted with curiosity, “Being what?”

“Being…mean!” Maru claimed as her face scrunched angrily. She bit the corner of ; it stung slightly because it was already worn away from previous bites.

“Put it back!” She commanded. She had never ever raised her voice let alone raised her voice at a Beta. She almost shrunk back into the wall, ready to knock her head into it for being so callous and rude to someone in such a higher positing in the hierarchy.

Lu Han took one step forward so there was only a yard or so space between them.

“If you want it so much then take it yourself,” Lu Han replied. Her lips parted and she stared at him. She didn’t think he was really being serious but he said nothing to correct himself. He was being serious. Maru’s eyes fixated on Lu Han’s pocket.

She calculated quickly. All she had to do was reach over and pull out the glass pyramid. Simple. Maru held her arm out and aimed for his pocket but at the last second, Lu Han jerked back so all that she was met with was air. She looked at him with furrowed brows and moved quickly. She was a foot away from him and had swiftly motioned her hand into his pocket, only to find it empty.

Maru found his eyes. They were glowing with delight. Upon observation, she saw that the pyramid was resting on the palm of his hand with stillness. She almost sighed in exasperation. She didn’t like this. She reached over again to snatch it away but he turned his arm away from her, hiding the ornament behind his back.

Maru stood up straight, feeling annoyed.

“You’re being difficult,” Maru announced as if it would help.

“First I’m mean, now I’m difficult. Anything else?” Lu Han taunted. He was having too much fun with this. She didn’t even realise that she was a breath or two away from him. He could see the freckles much more clearly now. He wanted nothing more than to just take her there.

Maru noticed he was distracted, thinking of something. She took that as her opening. She snapped her arm out, slipping it behind him. Her fingertips touched the polished surface of the pyramid before it flitted away.

Her eyes sprung wider when inexplicable warmth touched her back.  Lu Han wound his free arm around her, holding her close. She noticed his wet lip and knew what he was thinking of.

“Can I?” Lu Han asked in a low voice, barely whispering. His eyes flickered from her eyes to her lips, watching for her reaction. Her head moved slowly in a nod, unable to voice herself. Lu Han caught her lips between his. He breathed in heavily and drank her entirety.

Her lips were just as soft as he recalled and sweeter. Maru pushed herself against him, grabbing handfuls of his lilac coloured hair. She kissed him harder, wanting more to sedate her cravings. Lu Han crushed her in his arms, fingers burning into her as he slid them with such fervour.

She squealed as soon his hand imprinted on the cheek of her backside. He pulled her even closer, if that was possible. Her lips were tickled with his tongue and probed by his nibbling teeth. She had to have more. Maru’s mouth parted just a bit and welcomed Lu Han’s warm muscle. He tasted refreshing, like mint.

Lu Han was sure he would have taken it further. He wanted to so badly but the loud knocks on her door broke Maru’s concentration and she pulled away. She wiped her lip with her thumb and jumped when she heard the knocks again. She thought it was just her imagination before.

“You have to go!” She hissed, “Back door, now!”

Lu Han sauntered towards the kitchen with Maru pushing lightly against his back. Two more knocks followed and Maru was getting anxious, “Go!”

Lu Han groaned and turned around. He planted his lips on her and kissed the hell out of her.

“Now I’ll go.”

Maru sighed as soon as she heard the back door shut. She sniffed her shirt; there were faint traces of Lu Han but she hoped whoever was at the door wouldn’t notice and hoped whoever it was had a good reason for interrupting.

She trudged over to the front door and swung it open. The mother who raised her stood before her with a ceramic dish in her hands. Maru smiled at her and let her in.

“Maru, I hope I’m not disturbing you. I can come another time,” She offered.

Maru shook her head, “I always have time for you.”